Stop the coup - Defend democracy

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Still's Carenae
Fresh Alias

Re: Stop the coup - Defend democracy

Post by Still's Carenae »

Disoriented wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:13 pm
Still's Carenae wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:21 pm BoniO. I see you have been to the Donald Trump school of politics.
Bizarre comment.

Is that the best you Brexiteer right-wingers can do?
Dis. You have no idea what my political views are.

You clearly have not read my posts above and you can adjust your comments accordingly.
Bernard Mandeville
Fresh Alias

Post by Bernard Mandeville »

51.9% is not a clear democratic mandate in the way Brexiteers are pretending. Translate those kind of numbers into a general election and you have a hung parliament. In reality we live in a representative democracy.

In fact of course this is what we have - no party won the the last general election. So we have a leader of the Tories who was voted into the prime minister job by a tiny minority of the country (0.01% was it?) who leads a party with no overall majority who is proroguing parliament in order to push ahead with an extreme version of Brexit. This kind of Brexit was not argued for in the Tory manifesto - and was explicitly ruled out in the Labour manifesto.

There is no mandate for a hard Brexit - and definitely not for a no-deal Brexit. Remember we would probably be out of the EU now were it not for the refusal of the ERG to countenance any kind of compromise. It is they who have blocked Brexit.

If you do not understand why what is happening now is a very dangerous outrage - you need to stop and think.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

Still's Carenae wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:40 pm
Disoriented wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:13 pm
Still's Carenae wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:21 pm BoniO. I see you have been to the Donald Trump school of politics.
Bizarre comment.

Is that the best you Brexiteer right-wingers can do?
Dis. You have no idea what my political views are.

You clearly have not read my posts above and you can adjust your comments accordingly.
No disrespect, but I have been protesting all day and am now in a boozer.
Please just enlighten me.
Thanks
Still's Carenae
Fresh Alias

Post by Still's Carenae »

But we drew. You should be celebrating, not protesting.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

Bernard Mandeville wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:49 pm 51.9% is not a clear democratic mandate in the way Brexiteers are pretending. Translate those kind of numbers into a general election and you have a hung parliament. In reality we live in a representative democracy.

In fact of course this is what we have - no party won the the last general election. So we have a leader of the Tories who was voted into the prime minister job by a tiny minority of the country (0.01% was it?) who leads a party with no overall majority who is proroguing parliament in order to push ahead with an extreme version of Brexit. This kind of Brexit was not argued for in the Tory manifesto - and was explicitly ruled out in the Labour manifesto.

There is no mandate for a hard Brexit - and definitely not for a no-deal Brexit. Remember we would probably be out of the EU now were it not for the refusal of the ERG to countenance any kind of compromise. It is they who have blocked Brexit.

If you do not understand why what is happening now is a very dangerous outrage - you need to stop and think.
The thinking bit might be an issue.
Orientinoz
Fresh Alias

Post by Orientinoz »

Only 3 pages??? I would have expected better...Lift your game
Orientinoz
Fresh Alias

Post by Orientinoz »

The anoraks out in numbers...Seen more than that at a Leytonstone v Walthamstow Ave game....Pretty poor turnout really.
StockholmO
Fresh Alias

Post by StockholmO »

If those 'remainers' really wish to defend democracy, then they should get out to Hong Kong where they are really are up against it. Otherwise I'll assume that bonio and tuffers#23 are just whinging, whining and moaning and talking out of their arse as usual and I'm a hard core lefty. Enough of the bollocks please.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

Orientinoz wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:15 pm The anoraks out in numbers...Seen more than that at a Leytonstone v Walthamstow Ave game....Pretty poor turnout really.
Hundreds of thousands on the streets in London, over a million nationally and you try to feebly belittle the man in the street for doing his best to stop the coup?

The sun got to you again over their fella?
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

StockholmO wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:20 am If those 'remainers' really wish to defend democracy, then they should get out to Hong Kong where they are really are up against it. Otherwise I'll assume that bonio and tuffers#23 are just whinging, whining and moaning and talking out of their arse as usual and I'm a hard core lefty. Enough of the bollocks please.
What a bizarre post. You a hardcore lefty? :lol:
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

Makes me laugh, seeing all the extremists ( right wingers), trying to talk down the demos. In London alone there were over 120,000, plus most cities and many towns had their own demos.
Doubt if it will have much effect on Cummings though......he seems a right nasty bit of work, but it was a considerable prescents
The real work will be done in parliament this coming week, where hopefully a damaging no deal Brexit will be stopped in its tracks
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:29 am Makes me laugh, seeing all the extremists ( right wingers), trying to talk down the demos. In London alone there were over 120,000, plus most cities and many towns had their own demos.
Doubt if it will have much effect on Cummings though......he seems a right nasty bit of work, but it was a considerable prescents
The real work will be done in parliament this coming week, where hopefully a damaging no deal Brexit will be stopped in its tracks
For the good of the nation and the future of the people (which let’s face it, doesn’t include most on here), let’s hope so.

This coup has to be stopped and the plotters given revolutionary justice.
O my gawd
Fresh Alias

Post by O my gawd »

Disoriented wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:31 am
Orientinoz wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:15 pm The anoraks out in numbers...Seen more than that at a Leytonstone v Walthamstow Ave game....Pretty poor turnout really.
Hundreds of thousands on the streets in London, over a million nationally and you try to feebly belittle the man in the street for doing his best to stop the coup?

The man in the street voted marginally to leave the EU. Snow flakes & left wing fascists who cannot accept a democratic vote are the problem.
I voted to Remain, but the histrionics by certain people has become tediously tiresome.
Orientinoz
Fresh Alias

Post by Orientinoz »

:shock:
EH16
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by EH16 »

greyhound wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:19 am
Disoriented wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:31 am Protests all over the country today.

Who’s taking part?

The prorogation coup needs to be stopped. We can’t have the same privileged elite doing everything to hoard power.
same old remoaners :evil:
who have nothing better to do on a sat and sun.
stop moaning and do what normal people do on the week end that's watch football.
believe me what ever happens life will go on.
believe me what ever happens life will go on - That may well be true but you might want to brush up on your history. Particularly the rise of the totalitarian right in the 20th Century.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

O my gawd wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:38 am

The man in the street voted marginally to leave the EU. Snow flakes & left wing fascists who cannot accept a democratic vote are the problem.
I voted to Remain, but the histrionics by certain people has become tediously tiresome.
You are a remainer? Great. Will expect to see you manning the barricades and lobbing over the cabbages next week at Whitehall then.
EH16
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by EH16 »

Disoriented wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:07 pm

You are a remainer? Great. Will expect to see you manning the barricades and lobbing over the cabbages next week at Whitehall then.
Just to mention that one of the freedoms at the very heart of democracy is the freedom to continue to advocate and campaign for a course of action you believe to be right even where this doesn't align with the majority view. That is all.
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

EH16 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:14 pm

Just to mention that one of the freedoms at the very heart of democracy is the freedom to continue to advocate and campaign for a course of action you believe to be right even where this doesn't align with the majority view. That is all.
That of course is true, but it is very different to preventing the implementation of the democratic wish of the majority
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

Correct and the youth of this country whose futures have been sold out by those who won’t be around much longer have every right to advocate for a course of action. After all, it concerns them more than us.
O my gawd
Fresh Alias

Post by O my gawd »

No, just because I backed the wrong horse in a 2 horse race, I don't expect them to run it again. I respect the result even though I don't like it
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

O my gawd wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:49 pm

No, just because I backed the wrong horse in a 2 horse race, I don't expect them to run it again. I respect the result even though I don't like it
And the youth of the country who are overwhelmingly remain?
Orientinoz
Fresh Alias

Post by Orientinoz »

Its like watching seagulls fighting over a chip...
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Orientinoz wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:26 pm Its like watching seagulls fighting over a chip...
That’d be top entertainment down under
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Disoriented wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:22 pm

Correct and the youth of this country whose futures have been sold out by those who won’t be around much longer have every right to advocate for a course of action. After all, it concerns them more than us.
The youth have themselves to blame I’m afraid. Only 1 in 3 turned out to vote, the silly buggers.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Disoriented wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:22 pm

The youth have themselves to blame I’m afraid. Only 1 in 3 turned out to vote, the silly buggers.