Stop the coup - Defend democracy

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

EastDerehamO
Fresh Alias

Re: Stop the coup - Defend democracy

Post by EastDerehamO »

Conservative and Labour MPs stood on a manifesto to deliver on the result of the referendum, and over three years after that referendum, too many MPs have done all that can to frustrate it. That’s a far bigger threat to democracy than this prorogation issue – which I am not attempting to justify, merely drawing comparisons – but it is after all for only a few days longer than parliament would otherwise have been out anyway, and parliament has already enshrined in law that we leave on 31st October after many debates on Brexit.

It seems that remoaners can use every trick in the book to try to overturn democracy, and it is ironic that when Boris uses one back they cry “foul”.

I voted to leave, but if the referendum had decided to remain, even by a handful of votes, I would have accepted it, because I am both a democrat and mature enough to accept that democracy doesn’t always come up with the answer one wants. Supporting the O’s over the years I’d think we’d all be used to disappointments!
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

Still's Carenae wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:35 pm ....

All they are arguing about is 6 days of not working. They have spent the last year talking about Brexit and how to stop it , as there is no other legislation to be passed.

If those days are so important to the anti democrats, then why didn't they vote to sit through the summer recess or at least shorten it?

Seems parliamentary time wasnt that important then to those MPs
O my gawd
Fresh Alias

Post by O my gawd »

Disoriented wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:31 am Protests all over the country today.

Who’s taking part?

The prorogation coup needs to be stopped. We can’t have the same privileged elite doing everything to hoard power.
I believe in democracy as well Dis, that's why the referendum has to be honoured.
*Grabs helmet & prepares for pelters from people who have a different opinion, even though I probably voted the same as them 😂
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

dOh Nut wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:38 pm Well at least he doesn’t sit on the fence full of indecision. Like him or not he has the balls of a leader.
Bollox (no pun intended) - this decision is easy to make. May, through her indecision and poor leadership has made it easy for Boris the liar to come in act tough. All the crap from the last few years has made any kind of decisiveness now look attractive, to some.

He's taking away Parliaments voice to force through Brexit. If he succeeds in this what is next? Someone else has suggested the NHS and why not. Spend a bit of time spinning how the NHS is run so badly, wastes our money and then state how well US companies could do it and then close down Parliament again if they won't play ball. Job done! What next after that?
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

EastDerehamO wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:59 pm Conservative and Labour MPs stood on a manifesto to deliver on the result of the referendum, and over three years after that referendum, too many MPs have done all that can to frustrate it. That’s a far bigger threat to democracy than this prorogation issue – which I am not attempting to justify, merely drawing comparisons – but it is after all for only a few days longer than parliament would otherwise have been out anyway, and parliament has already enshrined in law that we leave on 31st October after many debates on Brexit.

It seems that remoaners can use every trick in the book to try to overturn democracy, and it is ironic that when Boris uses one back they cry “foul”.

I voted to leave, but if the referendum had decided to remain, even by a handful of votes, I would have accepted it, because I am both a democrat and mature enough to accept that democracy doesn’t always come up with the answer one wants. Supporting the O’s over the years I’d think we’d all be used to disappointments!
Closing down Parliament isn't a trick though is it. Some are saying "oh it's only for 6 days" but as they know these are really critical days for debating and voting on any deal Boris may have to offer. If these 6 days were unimportant Boris the liar wouldn't be bothering to close down Parliament would he?
greyhound
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by greyhound »

EastDerehamO wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:59 pm Conservative and Labour MPs stood on a manifesto to deliver on the result of the referendum, and over three years after that referendum, too many MPs have done all that can to frustrate it. That’s a far bigger threat to democracy than this prorogation issue – which I am not attempting to justify, merely drawing comparisons – but it is after all for only a few days longer than parliament would otherwise have been out anyway, and parliament has already enshrined in law that we leave on 31st October after many debates on Brexit.

well said. ;)
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

greyhound wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:46 pm

well said. ;)
I second that . I bet all these protesters today are Remain supporters .
Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Beradogs »

If any momentum supporter is sitting in the road around where I live they will get run over. Fact.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Re: Stop the coup - Defend democr

Post by Disoriented »

dOh Nut wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:38 pm Well at least he doesn’t sit on the fence full of indecision. Like him or not he has the balls of a leader.
So did Hitler and Stalin.

What a moronic point you make.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Beradogs wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:04 pm If any momentum supporter is sitting in the road around where I live they will get run over. Fact.
Nice. Real nice. Democracy at work - according to a Brexiteer.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

Am sitting in Trafalgar Square as I type.

Where are you Beradogs?
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Boris will sign a deal
Britain will not leave tthe EU without a deal
Brexit will happen with a Deal
End of Brexit

Move on.
Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Beradogs »

Disoriented wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:15 pm Am sitting in Trafalgar Square as I type.

Where are you Beradogs?
In the police station.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

Beradogs wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:25 pm
Disoriented wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:15 pm Am sitting in Trafalgar Square as I type.

Where are you Beradogs?
In the police station.
You been arrested? Well done fella. I knew we could count on you.
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

Would leave voters have stayed silent if the result had gone the other way. Lets not forget that Farage said if they lost but the result was as close he would be after another referendum
greyhound
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by greyhound »

this is what people should be protesting about.
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/london-stabbi ... 07208.html
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

Story of O wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:46 pm Would leave voters have stayed silent if the result had gone the other way. Lets not forget that Farage said if they lost but the result was as close he would be after another referendum
I'd have no problem with leave voters campaigning to rejoin. That is democracy.

Stopping the result of the referendum being put into place isn't
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

spen666 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:58 pm
Story of O wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:46 pm Would leave voters have stayed silent if the result had gone the other way. Lets not forget that Farage said if they lost but the result was as close he would be after another referendum

It was the government that screwed up the negotiations, no-one else. What's your point Rumpole?
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

greyhound wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:57 pm this is what people should be protesting about.
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/london-stabbi ... 07208.html
With the Story party continuing to cut budgets for the police , is it any wonder street crime continues.
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

BoniO wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:12 pm

It was the government that screwed up the negotiations, no-one else. What's your point Rumpole?

It's nothing to do with negotiations...its democratic principles
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

spen666 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:33 pm

Are these the same "democratic principles" that Boris is employing by shutting down Parliament? There has been perfectly legal, acceptable and democratic resistance to the governments Brexit plans. The Tory government is guilty of failing to find a Brexit deal that is acceptable to Parliament. It's not the fault of the members of Parliament that there has been no acceptable deal. It is solely the fault of this Tory government. Now Boris the liar has set off down the route to side-step Parliament to try and push through what he knows would be an unacceptable deal. How can that be democratic?
Still's Carenae
Fresh Alias

Post by Still's Carenae »

BoniO wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:41 pm
spen666 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:33 pm

Are these the same "democratic principles" that Boris is employing by shutting down Parliament? There has been perfectly legal, acceptable and democratic resistance to the governments Brexit plans. The Tory government is guilty of failing to find a Brexit deal that is acceptable to Parliament. It's not the fault of the members of Parliament that there has been no acceptable deal. It is solely the fault of this Tory government. Now Boris the liar has set off down the route to side-step Parliament to try and push through what he knows would be an unacceptable deal. How can that be democratic?
Maybe the MP's need some work other than Brexit. This has been there sole concentration over the last year. If they needed to put things in place they could have done so, in plenty of time.

The other thing they had an opportunity to do was to vote for a shorter summer recess, but they chose not to. I would love to have a 6 week break from work.
Still's Carenae
Fresh Alias

Post by Still's Carenae »

BoniO. I see you have been to the Donald Trump school of politics.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Still's Carenae wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:21 pm BoniO. I see you have been to the Donald Trump school of politics.
?????
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Disoriented »

Still's Carenae wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:21 pm BoniO. I see you have been to the Donald Trump school of politics.
Bizarre comment.

Is that the best you Brexiteer right-wingers can do?