Plymouth fan's view on Fletcher

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

BrendO
Fresh Alias

Plymouth fan's view on Fletcher

Post by BrendO »

I spoke to Argyle Life to get their view on our new manager: https://therealefl.co.uk/2019/10/17/the ... w-manager/
bobo66
Fresh Alias

Re: Plymouth fan's view on Fletcher

Post by bobo66 »

Doesn't exactly fill you with confidence.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

bobo66 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:05 pm Doesn't exactly fill you with confidence.
No but that was then . Hopefully working with Eddie Howe these last few years he's picked up a lot . Anyway, he's got the gig at Orient now so let's see how things go .
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

The report! On the contrary, given the near impossible situation he found himself in I would say Plymouth today have much to be grateful for. With added maturity now, that experience will hold him in good stead when he starts to input his ideas here.

As for a fans view. I’m willing to bet every manager in th country will have those who are dissatisfied with their performance and approach to the game. Impossible to please everybody, a rare thing when any manager does that, we Orient will always be grateful for someone who did just that.

So take these views with a pinch of salt and let his actions speak louder than those old words.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

I doubt a loan manager actually works with Eddie Howe that much , day to day.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

bobo66 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:05 pm Doesn't exactly fill you with confidence.
Nor does it give you a lack of confidence.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:30 pm I doubt a loan manager actually works with Eddie Howe that much , day to day.
Maybe not day to day but still a lot over his five year service .
cymruO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cymruO »

8 years working with a manager who's achieved great things at Bournemouth has to count for something surely.
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

cymruO wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:59 pm 8 years working with a manager who's achieved great things at Bournemouth has to count for something surely.
8 years salary and 8 years payments into his pension scheme?
Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Beradogs »

He played tippy tippy football with players passing it backwards or sideways. He is a perfect fit. I have changed my mind! He doesn’t give the young players a game. Excellent. Like a hand in a glove. Welcome Carl.
eagwgw
Fresh Alias

Post by eagwgw »

Think the Howe connection is overrated myself.

Ferguson was one of the best of all time, not many of those who worked with him managed to get much of his magic.

Of course people are gonna say nice things which are easy to win over the fans with.

Short of a disaster he has a free pass this season, judged on results next season. More interested to see if he can fix the defence, that is the real weakness.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

UpminsterO wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:31 pm He means in the club environment /culture / management ethos / team
Thank you . Exactly.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Fair comment on Ferguson. Can't think of a single assistant, coach or long serving player of his who has pulled up any trees in management.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Beradogs wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:12 pm He played tippy tippy football with players passing it backwards or sideways. He is a perfect fit. I have changed my mind! He doesn’t give the young players a game. Excellent. Like a hand in a glove. Welcome Carl.
No guarantee's in football . I wanted a more experienced manager but even then it's 50/50 as to whether things work out OK . Having watching Carl's and Martin's interviews , I don't see any reasons why Carl Fletcher can't be a success at Orient . Obviously time will tell so I wish him good luck.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

After reading that, im even more certain it was the wrong appointment, than I was yesterday
Time will tell for certain
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

eagwgw wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:20 pm Think the Howe connection is overrated myself.

Ferguson was one of the best of all time, not many of those who worked with him managed to get much of his magic.

Of course people are gonna say nice things which are easy to win over the fans with.

Short of a disaster he has a free pass this season, judged on results next season. More interested to see if he can fix the defence, that is the real weakness.
I think you are somewhat overlooking Steve McClaren's League Cup triumph in 2004.
Howling Mad Murdock
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Howling Mad Murdock »

cymruO wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:59 pm 8 years working with a manager who's achieved great things at Bournemouth has to count for something surely.

Yes I would have thought so....and don't call me surely.
eagwgw
Fresh Alias

Post by eagwgw »

Of course it's biased, but it doesn't mean it's not valid.

The Crewe fan that posted about Steve Davis ended up being almost entirely correct. I suppose the difference here is that Fletcher has had some time to improve himself and change things, Davis did not.

You can see why he interviewed so well, he seems a nice guy but also there are many things in his favour: worked with a previous director of football, style of football would be close to Lingy's, also would be amenable to Ross (they were not at Bournemouth at the same time but surely must have lots of mutual contacts having done the same job).

It does seem that play-offs are the target next year going by Teague's points predictions, I do think he has a tough job on his hands. Hopefully he will get the green light for a few signings in January.
Redcard
Fresh Alias

Post by Redcard »

Please Carl no, I just can’t stand the notion of possession for the sake of not letting the opposition have the ball, possession that leads to nothing. Give me an approach that gets the ball into dangerous areas as quickly as possible every time.
I am not talking about route one, but midfielders and wide men that attack with pace.
I hope that comment about not playing young players is also wrong , age shouldn’t have anything to do with team selection, if their good enough their old enough.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Not sure why they would have thoughts at a
" sniff of the play-offs ".

But having read social media , plymouth fans they thought they were going to p155 this league,
there only a point above us & didnt have the tragedy
we had.

Surely its as much of unrealistic fan syndrome as it is anything else.

Hard work & good plans lead to play-offs & promotion.

Something T&T seem to have in hand
Just need everything else to fall into place.