Exiles thread - Brentford (A)

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Exiles thread - Brentford (A)

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

CharlieO wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 10:29 pm Clearly a game Wellens didn't want to win.
More concerned about winning at Stockport which I agree with . League points are more important.
Last edited by RedDwarf 1881 on Wed Sep 18, 2024 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

People are genuinely upset at Richie resting the likes of Galbraith, ONeill, Kelman and Agyei??? At giving some of the ‘reserves’a much needed run out?

Simpson isn’t the only Orient div bag.
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

Only caught the second half but loads of positives to take away from that.

It’s pretty clear that the belief within the squad is (rightly) high.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Quite a lot of positives from tonight . Keeper made a few good saves and looked pretty confident for a kid.
Do also feel a bit what if. Not saying we should be putting our strongest team out but a few first teamers dotted about would have made us stronger. But whatever.
Richie must be fuming at Simpson. Gave him the captaincy. He should have gotten a second yellow 15 mins before and got away with it but randomly pulled down their player 70 yards from goal. Thicko
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

He didn’t randomly pull him down. Something had gone on, they were both on the floor, their bloke got up before him and was in the clear.

Still daft.
Cahirciveeno1
Fresh Alias

Post by Cahirciveeno1 »

Some divs on here who think it's OK to change 10 of the team from Sat with over 2300 travelling fans against a prem team .wow ! Who do we think we are .All to beat Stockport ? Again how our stock has fallen if that's our aim .I'm sure Stockport are wrapping themselves
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Not really a sign of our stock falling though, is it? Every side fucks about with the line up in these games. I don't agree with it (although managing minutes for our younger players is obviously a necessity, lest we end up with another Shaq Forde situation when Donley/Galbraith etc are running on fumes come March as they've played too much), but we're hardly Little Leyton Orient for doing the same as everyone else.
Cahirciveeno1
Fresh Alias

Post by Cahirciveeno1 »

I wouldn't worry about Donley running on anything. Serious clubs like Brentford can"f***.about" with line ups .Little leyton orient just proved exactly what they are tonight
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

Interesting new alias - look forward to seeing how this develops.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Not much to take from the game given the team selection.

From my view in a home stand, we had some proper divvy fans there last night, but were the stewards blocking access to and from the concourse at half time? It seemed to cause needless crowd issues.
Stan1972
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Stan1972 »

It’s simple, RW was obviously not concerned about winning last night and progressing to next round in cup.
Yes he picked an entirely diff team, players who needed mins and game time, and he thought that team could still win, but he was clearly focused on Stockport on Sat.

I get it & if we win on Sat v Stockport, then RW to a point is justified, I personally think Stockport will be in play off mix at end of season and it’s a tough game, so I would have liked to have seen us go for it last night, and if we got a result, that positive feeling would have hopefully carried into the Stockport game.

Like a few on here, it is a what if moment, we had a chance last night to go at a weakened prem side and a chance to keep a cup run going, but RW decided not to.

Let’s hope we get a result v Stockport on Sat and we get back to back wins in L1 and our season continues with more good results in L1.

At least last night, for 6 mins between 11-17 mins we were dreaming the unthinkable 🤔
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

Stan1972 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 10:30 am Yes he picked an entirely diff team, players who needed mins and game time, and he thought that team could still win, but he was clearly focused on Stockport on Sat.

I get it & if we win on Sat v Stockport, then RW to a point is justified,
It's the right decision regardless of what happens on Saturday. Getting our league campaign up and running is far more important. Spreading minutes throughout the squad is absolutely correct for a meaningless game.
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

Stan1972 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 10:30 amso I would have liked to have seen us go for it last night, and if we got a result, that positive feeling would have hopefully carried into the Stockport game.
Do you think the players came off deflated after our reserves gave a slightly weakened Premier league team a fair run, and looked the better side when we brought on Ethan and Charlie up until the red card?

Last night was entirely positive and the players will be taking that positivity into the League games.
DrWindy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DrWindy »

Personally I don’t think anyone is right or wrong on this. They’re right to say we could have won that with a stronger side. They’re right to say we needed some players to rest and others to get minutes. Ultimately it’s RW decision to make and I trust his judgment.
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

We might have won that with a stronger side. Personally, I don't think we would have - their big hitters would have been brought on earlier if they were in any trouble.

Resting first choice players and giving game time to others that needed it was absolutely the right choice, even if some fragile egos appear to have been damaged by us losing to Brentford (and I don't mean the players).
DrWindy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DrWindy »

Hoover Attack wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 12:35 pm We might have won that with a stronger side. Personally, I don't think we would have - their big hitters would have been brought on earlier if they were in any trouble.

Resting first choice players and giving game time to others that needed it was absolutely the right choice, even if some fragile egos appear to have been damaged by us losing to Brentford (and I don't mean the players).
You’re not wrong. I don’t think it’s ego though more disappointment of a missed opportunity.

Reassured me that we have some decent players that can compete. It also perhaps highlighted those that are not at the level required.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

Stan1972 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 10:30 am It’s simple, RW was obviously not concerned about winning last night and progressing to next round in cup.
Yes he picked an entirely diff team, players who needed mins and game time, and he thought that team could still win, but he was clearly focused on Stockport on Sat.

I get it & if we win on Sat v Stockport, then RW to a point is justified, I personally think Stockport will be in play off mix at end of season and it’s a tough game, so I would have liked to have seen us go for it last night, and if we got a result, that positive feeling would have hopefully carried into the Stockport game.

Like a few on here, it is a what if moment, we had a chance last night to go at a weakened prem side and a chance to keep a cup run going, but RW decided not to.

Let’s hope we get a result v Stockport on Sat and we get back to back wins in L1 and our season continues with more good results in L1.

At least last night, for 6 mins between 11-17 mins we were dreaming the unthinkable 🤔
Yes, but hold on there! This is just to remind you....'in RW we trust'.
Stan1972
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Stan1972 »

Yep 💯 agree
As always in RW we trust 💪🏻
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

DrWindy wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 12:42 pm
Reassured me that we have some decent players that can compete. It also perhaps highlighted those that are not at the level required.
Only caught second half but we looked great when Galbraith came on.

It's going to be another good season.
Greenwich Orient
Fresh Alias

Post by Greenwich Orient »

Quite a lot of encouraging signs from last night. Thought the midfield 3 looked quite comfortable and Warrington in particular moved the ball around really well.

Up until the red card I thought both Simpson and Cooper were playing well and Galbraith was exceptionally lively when he came on.

The difference was Fabio Carvalho really and I think we’d have suffered the same outcome with or without a full strength XI on the pitch.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Our set up was great, we pressed well, moved the ball nicely, some really nice exchanges and created some good chances. Ball slotted in really well and looked fitter than I expected, even if it wasn't the highest tempo game. Our midfield options generally look good, if a little lacking in goal threat.

There's a decent player in DJ imo but Wellens is going need to work on him a lot cause he's clearly not fit nor disciplined enough to suit how we play.
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

Mistadobalina wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 3:05 pm
There's a decent player in DJ imo but Wellens is going need to work on him a lot cause he's clearly not fit nor disciplined enough to suit how we play.
Agreed with all of this.
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

There's a definite cut off, not sure exactly, but it's between 22 and 26. Players over this were brought up the old pre-Pep way. Players younger than this were educated the new way. Keepers and defenders can play football. Strikers and attacking midfielders can defend and will press.
Constanza
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Constanza »

I watched it all on Sky Sports Plus. I was surprised how well we played, Brentford just had a lot more class finishing.
Commentators we're very complimentary about our football.
I feel confident we will make the play offs.
Cahirciveeno1
Fresh Alias

Post by Cahirciveeno1 »

Hoover Attack wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 6:52 am Interesting new alias - look forward to seeing how this develops.
Interesting ! Not any alias .Sit in the west,easily contactable .Just here to have a decent conversation.Everyones opinion is their own and has its merits however left or right field .How is it developing for you now ? Still looking forward to IT .