OFFICIAL: Lincoln game to be replayed

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

CEB

Re: OFFICIAL: Lincoln game to be replayed

Post by CEB »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:47 am
aylesburyos wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:02 pm
Bergen wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:55 pm We didn`t want it to be replayed, but Barnsley did. The EFL listened to Barnsley.
Richie has confirmed Lincoln wanted it replayed. We did not
If everything had happened in reverse I would like to think we would just have let the game go . There was only about 6 minutes left of normal time and sadly somebody had lost their life . If there is one thing our club has that's beyond question its integrity .

Have you considered self awareness as an option?
Bergen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bergen »

The fixture against Lincoln City will be replayed in full on Tuesday 21st November (KO 7.45pm GMT).
The Reverend
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Reverend »

You can already see the chaos when the outcome of this replayed fixture inevitably has a butterfly effect for promotion/play-off/relegation/safety for Orient, Lincoln or some other club(s).
CEB

Post by CEB »

The Reverend wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:25 pm You can already see the chaos when the outcome of this replayed fixture inevitably has a butterfly effect for promotion/play-off/relegation/safety for Orient, Lincoln or some other club(s).
How are you so wrong about everything so often?
Had the result *stood*, then there was *some* degree of potential that it might negatively impact other clubs, who would then have a point in the event that their league status or promotion prospects had suffered due to a result of a fixture that wasn’t fully completed.

Had the match been replayed at the end of the season, after all fixtures had been fulfilled, some teams might have had a justifiable issue that Lincoln/Orient had an advantage in being able to play a match after all others had been completed, knowing exactly what was required.

Having the match replayed in November, with over half the season left, leaves no room for any legitimate objection by any other club, and therefore no potential for any “chaos” whatsoever.

What chaos exactly do you envisage? Because at best, it will be a few moaners on social media. I suspect nobody will have any serious expectation that “that replayed fixture between orient and Lincoln is why we got relegated/didn’t get promoted” will gain any traction whatsoever,
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Replaying in full is just nonsense. As RW said, for max integrity just play out the remaining minutes.

Lincoln will have to travel regardless, whether they play for 90 or 9 minutes.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

The club using the family of the deceased as their defence to not replay it, is pretty low.
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

There’s no perfect way of settling this issue, that will satisfy all parties.
If there’s any justice for us then Lincoln should at least ‘let’ us score a goal, even though it will give them much more time to equalise.
Would they have equalised in the last 6 minutes or so, who knows, they were pushing for a goal but for me the bottom line is that a poor man lost his life and football is secondary at times like this.
CEB

Post by CEB »

I don’t think anyone is suggesting the replayed game take place at the funeral
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Cheshunto wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:53 pm There’s no perfect way of settling this issue, that will satisfy all parties.
If there’s any justice for us then Lincoln should at least ‘let’ us score a goal, even though it will give them much more time to equalise.
Would they have equalised in the last 6 minutes or so, who knows, they were pushing for a goal but for me the bottom line is that a poor man lost his life and football is secondary at times like this.
How could Lincoln argue against playing the remaining minutes?
cymruO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cymruO »

Might this date have clashed with a possible FA Cup replay?
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

If it does it’ll have to be rearranged again . It’s no big deal.
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

Cheshunto wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:53 pm There’s no perfect way of settling this issue, that will satisfy all parties.

So, because someone sadly died, Orient and Lincoln should only play 45 matches this season, and potentially miss out on play offs or a chance at staying up because the other 22 teams have played a game more.
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

spen666 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:20 pm

So, because someone sadly died, Orient and Lincoln should only play 45 matches this season, and potentially miss out on play offs or a chance at staying up because the other 22 teams have played a game more.
No one said that
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

Story of O wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:59 pm

No one said that

If the game doesn't take place both sides will only play 45 games this season.
The Reverend
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Reverend »

CEB wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:55 pm
The Reverend wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:25 pm You can already see the chaos when the outcome of this replayed fixture inevitably has a butterfly effect for promotion/play-off/relegation/safety for Orient, Lincoln or some other club(s).
How are you so wrong about everything so often?
Had the result *stood*, then there was *some* degree of potential that it might negatively impact other clubs, who would then have a point in the event that their league status or promotion prospects had suffered due to a result of a fixture that wasn’t fully completed.

Had the match been replayed at the end of the season, after all fixtures had been fulfilled, some teams might have had a justifiable issue that Lincoln/Orient had an advantage in being able to play a match after all others had been completed, knowing exactly what was required.

Having the match replayed in November, with over half the season left, leaves no room for any legitimate objection by any other club, and therefore no potential for any “chaos” whatsoever.

What chaos exactly do you envisage? Because at best, it will be a few moaners on social media. I suspect nobody will have any serious expectation that “that replayed fixture between orient and Lincoln is why we got relegated/didn’t get promoted” will gain any traction whatsoever,
Granted “chaos” was a bit strong but I am almost certain that this will cause whinging at the end of the season - from fans and possibly clubs themselves - unless Orient & Lincoln both end up mid table not impacting promotions/play-offs/relegations in which case nobody will notice.

You admit that had the result stood then there would have been a chance that it would negatively impact other clubs, and at no point did I suggest that it should be replayed at the end of the season.

But to then claim that replaying it full in November will mean that nobody will have any claim to complain is just nonsensical.

There’s never going to be a completely fair way of doing this but replaying the whole game is less fair than playing what was left of it (c. 8 mins + stoppage time).
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

If we were to go on and win the rearranged game, and thus end up with the exact same points total, who would be whingeing?

There's basically 3 potential outcomes here and 33.3% of them isn't in the slightest bit controversial.
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

So, you think that Football is more important than a fan who lost his life ??
Read my opening line again……..There’s no perfect way of settling this issue………where do I say “ Orient and Lincoln should only play 45 matches ??
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

Long slender neck wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:39 pm
How could Lincoln argue against playing the remaining minutes?
The original idea I had was that the last 6 minutes or so could be played at Lincoln just ahead of our away fixture there whenever we play them.
CEB

Post by CEB »

Yes, I actually do think that life going on, and the integrity of football is more important than aimless moping and complaining about what football should do in this situation.

How about this: if football *is* so unimportant in relation to a death, the family are encouraged to grieve privately, and the unimportant business of football can carry on, safe in the knowledge that its lack of importance means the family are focused on grieving rather than results of football matches.

Of course, what’s actually happening is that some people are saying that *because* football is unimportant, it should bend to the will of those who are demanding a specific outcome, leveraging the sadness of what happened as a shield against any disagreement
The Reverend
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Reverend »

Proposition Joe wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:30 pm If we were to go on and win the rearranged game, and thus end up with the exact same points total, who would be whingeing?

There's basically 3 potential outcomes here and 33.3% of them isn't in the slightest bit controversial.
Not just points total that is important though is it? Things can be decided on goal difference as well. So there is more nuance than it just being 3 potential outcomes.
CEB

Post by CEB »

Can you show me any fan of any league one team who is expressing concern in advance that the replayed match’s potential goal difference might adversely affect them?

Clue: most people have a sense of proportion
The Reverend
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Reverend »

CEB wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:47 pm Can you show me any fan of any league one team who is expressing concern in advance that the replayed match’s potential goal difference might adversely affect them?

Clue: most people have a sense of proportion
Could you point me in the direction of the post where I claimed that fans are CURRENTLY expressing concern about this?

I’ll wait….
CEB

Post by CEB »

Dearie me
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

If we're going to play the game again then just play the game properly from the start . I don't want to see any shenanigans like letting us walk the ball into the net to make the score 1-0. again . . The reason being is I don't trust the EFL not to get involved with any discipline issues resulting in a points deduction or fine
The Reverend
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Reverend »

CEB wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:43 pmDearie me
So let’s recap.

First you claim that keeping the result as it was (i.e 1-0 to Orient) could potentially lead to some people complaining and yet somehow replaying the game - which could end up in a completely different result to a match which was 1-0 with less than 10 mins to go - could not possibly give anyone the possibility of having a moan even if it happens to have serious implications on their league position later on down the line. Note that I never actually suggested that the result should just be left at 1-0. I’ve always said that the final few mins should be played.

I then point out to someone else that it’s not just the 3 (or 1) points from the game which matter but goal difference could impact final league positions after they nonsensically claimed that if Orient win the replayed match then nothing will change at all - completely neglecting the fact that a 5-0 would be completely different to a 1-0 win. You then decide to come in demanding that I show evidence for people CURRENTLY expressing concern about goal difference impacting their final league position. Again, something I never claimed.

And apparently I’m the one who is wrong about everything all the time.