Nigel Travis interview

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

oxo
Fresh Alias

Re: Nigel Travis interview

Post by oxo »

I think maybe he's referring to dodgy firestick type things, which, yeah, it is stealing really.

The impression I got is that it's not illegal to pay and watch via a VPN (it's just against the rules and presumably the consequences would be some sort of ban), but it is illegal for the club to allow UK IP addresses to access the stream because of broadcasting rights. I might be wrong on this.

I wish we could pay to stream more matches, but I actually quite enjoy the audio.
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

Long slender neck wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:28 pm If outside is better quality and cheaper, I dont see how Orient can compete.
I think some fans will accept average quality in the Hospitality areas IF the price is reasonable.
The 50s lounge was £25 add on for food if you were a season ticket holder, and TBH the food wasn’t too bad, and the service was excellent. Now it’s a £78 add on, which simply drives ordinary fans towards the numerous restaurants in the high street which are far cheaper and offer decent value.

I accept that the £25 add on last season was a bit low, but it was competitive and attracted people.
It will be interesting to see how numbers are for the next few home games.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

oxo wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:30 pm I think maybe he's referring to dodgy firestick type things, which, yeah, it is stealing really.

The impression I got is that it's not illegal to pay and watch via a VPN (it's just against the rules and presumably the consequences would be some sort of ban), but it is illegal for the club to allow UK IP addresses to access the stream because of broadcasting rights. I might be wrong on this.

I wish we could pay to stream more matches, but I actually quite enjoy the audio.
It is illegal to pay and watch via a VPN from within the UK. I'm sure Nigel would not be condoning fans do that.

In which case, as there's no legal way to watch the stream from within the UK, it doesn't affect the club if someone in the UK uses one of those dodgy stick things that I've heard about.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Is that illegal? Paging spen
The Reverend
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Reverend »

Long slender neck wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:17 pm Is that illegal? Paging spen
Please don’t
Winchestorfan
Fresh Alias

Post by Winchestorfan »

If you don’t pay for streaming, watching it is illegal. If a match is not streamed in the uk but someone watches it in the uk using other methods, you are doing something illegal and effectively stealing from the club.if you want to watch a match that is not streamed in the uk the only legal way to watch it is to buy a ticket and attend the game in person.’ In which case’ watching it any other way is both theft and illegal.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Winchestorfan wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:00 pm If you don’t pay for streaming, watching it is illegal. If a match is not streamed in the uk but someone watches it in the uk using other methods, you are doing something illegal and effectively stealing from the club.if you want to watch a match that is not streamed in the uk the only legal way to watch it is to buy a ticket and attend the game in person.’ In which case’ watching it any other way is both theft and illegal.
What if you cover your tracks really well, don't get caught and even if you do deny it point blank. Is that still illegal?
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Winchestorfan wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:00 pmIf a match is not streamed in the uk but someone watches it in the uk using other methods, you are doing something illegal and effectively stealing from the club.if you want to watch a match that is not streamed in the uk the only legal way to watch it is to buy a ticket and attend the game in person.’ In which case’ watching it any other way is both theft and illegal.
What about away games? Presumably that benefits Orient as it stops us giving our money to our competitors?
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Club charge 29 quid to see us mullered by Pompey and are surprised people find other means to watch the games
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Daily Express bot »

PKM wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:36 am Fascinating and wide ranging interview with Nigel
-sorry if it’s been posted up here before

I don’t normally listed as the podcast is too long for my attention span, but well worth making the effort to listen to Nigel.

Subjects covered included
5 year plan-to get into the Championship
New training ground
New ground
Transfers in and possibly out this week
Ritchie Wellens
Nigel and the bod’s commitment to the O’s , they’ve put in millions
Please spend more money and time at Brizzy Rd

Anyway, worth a listen

https://m.soundcloud.com/orient-outlook

I think this is the link
I am no psychiatrist but through the tough talk I sensed genuine angst and emotion. It must be tough in his position investing in the club (maybe his life savings, who knows) persuading others to invest and he carries the responsibility. We should not be too tough as we could have had another lot like the other mob or even worse , which would be difficult to believe such could exist.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Winchestorfan wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:00 pm If you don’t pay for streaming, watching it is illegal. If a match is not streamed in the uk but someone watches it in the uk using other methods, you are doing something illegal and effectively stealing from the club.if you want to watch a match that is not streamed in the uk the only legal way to watch it is to buy a ticket and attend the game in person.’ In which case’ watching it any other way is both theft and illegal.
Which laws are being broken?
EastDerehamO
Fresh Alias

Post by EastDerehamO »

I get the point on streaming, and I do pay for it.

But it isn’t available for most games, so the club is losing out on money from me, for I’d willingly pay to stream us most Saturdays, for I’m 100 miles away and seldom get to home games. Were I to find an illegal platform to stream those games – and to be clear I don’t – I wouldn’t be stealing from the club as the service isn’t available to me and I wouldn't be attending anyway.

Not Nigel’s fault, suspect he would welcome more streaming and income from it. A wider EFL issue, don’t see why packages couldn't be made available for those in the UK who don’t live close to their team’s locale.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

I think efl should make it available to all and it wouldnt affect attendances much, after all, its available via pirate streams now and we still sell out games.
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

For some strange reason we can not stream because of Premiership games, as if our game being streamed would harm their attendances
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Long slender neck wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:00 am I think efl should make it available to all and it wouldnt affect attendances much, after all, its available via pirate streams now and we still sell out games.
So Nigel should be moaning at:

1) The EFL (/UEFA) for not allowing streaming on Saturday afternoons and

2) The catering company for offering us overpriced crap food options,

not the loyal fan base?

Glad we've finally cleared that mess up.
aylesburyos
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by aylesburyos »

Top of the JES wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:32 pm
aylesburyos wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:17 pm
Top of the JES wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:16 am

That’s Devlins argument but now we have no money coming in for the naming rights instead and haven’t for 18 months. Better to have something rather than nothing.
Does not work like that. You can't sell off for buttons and then increase to the appropriate amount
Well it obviously does because we have had no income from stadium naming rights for 18 months not even “buttons” it’s easy to say we undersold previously but 18 months without one of your biggest sponsorships is really poor.
Really does not work like that. You under sell your product for ever. Do some research into marketing
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Daily Express bot »

aylesburyos wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:33 am

Does not work like that. You can't sell off for buttons and then increase to the appropriate amount
Well it obviously does because we have had no income from stadium naming rights for 18 months not even “buttons” it’s easy to say we undersold previously but 18 months without one of your biggest sponsorships is really poor.
Really does not work like that. You under sell your product for ever. Do some research into marketing
I don’t know why Breyer Company stopped sponsoring, do they get anything out of the deal like a few free days in the Corporate Restaurant for the staff etc I wonder? Maybe the club should go back to them and give them a better deal as it was quite a promotion for the firm. Nobody knew who Breyer Company was unless you Google it . They must have got a lot of publicity and income out of the investment. Then again I wonder why Hearn and Match-room don’t give some more back as they diid well out of the flats I am told.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Long slender neck wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:00 am I think efl should make it available to all and it wouldnt affect attendances much, after all, its available via pirate streams now and we still sell out games.
As soon as its made legal and the clubs start streaming it for income the stream will cease to work, and the "currently unavailable" message will be displayed on the screens of all those too lazy to get to the ground on match day and consume over priced scran.

Many will choose to stay loyal to the private streams.
Last edited by Max B Gold on Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrWindy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DrWindy »

The Reverend wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:32 pm
BiggsyMalone wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:14 pm His snarky comment about WF council was out of touch too.

Brings up the Welsh government giving Wrexham £17m towards their stadium and goes on to say “Waltham Forest are investing £7m in Leyton Station, I think you’ll find we bring in a lot of economic, social and political value into Leyton and the LBWF”.

Does he seriously expect the local council to help fund any new development either at the current ground or a new site? Absolute piss taker.
A multi-millionaire who lives in the US moaning about a local council investing in a station which provides a public service that people use every day to get to work/generally get around. Have I understood that right?

I honestly don’t see what the improvements to the tube station has to do with LOFC? If anything, an improved station will benefit LOFC. Really weird thing for him to point out. I do sometimes think that these incredibly rich people are wildly out of touch with the everyday lives of working people.
At which point was he moaning about it?
KenleyO
Fresh Alias

Post by KenleyO »

Nigel moans about the fans speding their money on food and drink outside the stadium, but besides the South Stand Bar, where are the fans supposed to go? The West stand with its outlets and the North and South of the stand are cramped, and standing roon only. Not exactly condusive to picking up food and enjoying a drink. If you want a beer you can't drink it in your seat. I never understood why the family stand didn't have a lounge area for the kids - having spent 8 years in there with my son, we tended to eat at home and arrive 30 mins before kick off, especially during the winter. I think the leadership team would be better employed looking at the offering first before moaning that the fans are not spending enough of their hard earned cas in the ground.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

27 successful years in sales and marketing with a multi national company and you? probably none from your posts, otherwise you would know its better to make a sale at small profit margin for a couple of years if the other option is no sale. keep the money coming in while you line up something better. we have had probably two years to find a naming rights partner and nothing.

As for "You under sell your product for ever" that's the biggest bullshit line I have ever heard. because whatever we charged Breyer has no baring on any future discussions with potential sponsors.
Last edited by Top of the JES on Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Top of the JES wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:23 am

27 successful years in sales and marketing with a multi national company and you? probably none from your posts, otherwise you would know its better to make a sale at small profit margin for a couple of years if the other option is no sale. keep the money coming in while you line up something better. we have had probably two years to find a naming rights partner and nothing.
27 years in sales and marketing !? You're no Reggie Perrin that much is true. Get out now man there's still time to have a life.
DrWindy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DrWindy »

Max Fowler wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:20 pm
Winchestorfan wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:10 pm
It is not really our business how sell on contracts for players are negotiated and where any ‘profit’ might go. If the directors do see some return on their investment is that such a bad thing? Indeed it may well encourage them to make further investments in the hope that there could even be a ‘return’ on their cash.
It does become our business when we're being told we're cheating the club by going to the Coach and Horses pre-match instead of spending money in the ground.
Not what he said.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Max B Gold wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:30 am

27 years in sales and marketing !? You're no Reggie Perrin that much is true. Get out now man there's still time to have a life.
The job took me all over Europe and the Americas and enabled me to retire nearly 8 years ago in my mid 50's - thanks for the advice how's the cab driving going?.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Top of the JES wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:33 am
Max B Gold wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:30 am

The job took me all over Europe and the Americas and enabled me to retire nearly 8 years ago in my mid 50's - thanks for the advice how's the cab driving going?.
Very well actually. Pandemic killed off a few drivers and some of the oldies panicked and retired. The rising costs have driven many out of the profession and our firm recently took over another local company.

The resulting Driver shortage has made it very busy and I can now be lazier than ever and work fewer hours for more money, plus I'm renting my cab out at the weekends in a side hustle. I reckon I will be in a position to retire comfortably by the time I get to 75.