Nigel Travis interview

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

PKM
Fresh Alias

Nigel Travis interview

Post by PKM »

Fascinating and wide ranging interview with Nigel
-sorry if it’s been posted up here before

I don’t normally listed as the podcast is too long for my attention span, but well worth making the effort to listen to Nigel.

Subjects covered included
5 year plan-to get into the Championship
New training ground
New ground
Transfers in and possibly out this week
Ritchie Wellens
Nigel and the bod’s commitment to the O’s , they’ve put in millions
Please spend more money and time at Brizzy Rd

Anyway, worth a listen

https://m.soundcloud.com/orient-outlook

I think this is the link
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Nigel Travis interview

Post by Max Fowler »

Could someone summarise the main points for those that would rather not listen to this outfit please?
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

I usually give him the benefit of the doubt and like him but he comes across as quite argumentative and unlikeable in this. Delusional and arrogant.
PKM
Fresh Alias

Post by PKM »

Yes, main point is Championship by 5 years
We love RW
We want to stay in Waltham Forest, meeting council next month
Why can’t we have the hockey ground
New training facilities, found somewhere but early days
Nigel has bunged in millions , and that’s just this season
Expect more players in this week and possibly some out
Cambridge, we were fantastic
There you go.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Lovely ending from the lord and saviour

‘If you’re eating/drinking away from the ground, you’re taking money away from Leyton Orient… thank you for your support’
The Reverend
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by The Reverend »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:08 am I usually give him the benefit of the doubt and like him but he comes across as quite argumentative and unlikeable in this. Delusional and arrogant.
Travis or the podcast host?
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

PKM wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:09 am Yes, main point is Championship by 5 years
We love RW
There you go.
Good to see we're showing interest in the Hockey ground again. Hearn got so caught up in the main Olympic Stadium he missed an opportunity with the one that was more suited for us.

Suspected there may be some going out the door as well as coming in, perhaps a reason why Embleton was there on Saturday?
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

The Reverend wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:17 am
BiggsyMalone wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:08 am I usually give him the benefit of the doubt and like him but he comes across as quite argumentative and unlikeable in this. Delusional and arrogant.
Nigel. Some of it was good as usual but his attitude was off for me. I’m sure others will see things differently. Worth a listen
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:16 am Lovely ending from the lord and saviour

‘If you’re eating/drinking away from the ground, you’re taking money away from Leyton Orient… thank you for your support’
Unfortunately it’s a lot cheaper to eat/drink away from the ground although I would prefer to give my money to Orient.
Hospitality prices are around 100% higher than last season and beyond the pockets of many people.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:16 am Lovely ending from the lord and saviour

I get the point but they also haven’t done anything to make me eat at the ground. In fact, I ate at the ground for the first time in ages at the Pompey game and vowed never to do so again. I got a chili dog which was advertised as ‘premium’. It looked unappetising and tasted cheap. Towards the end I had to spit it out as I was chewing on gristle for 60 seconds. Made me feel sick. Not exactly cheap either.

The geezer has worked at the highest level in catering and we serve up generic, unhealthy, poor quality food.

As I’ve said numerous times - we are in a prime location for some amazing local food and drink, with a new demographic of young people interested in good food and drink. It’s a selling point we continue to ignore to not only make more money out of current fans but by using it to attract new fans
Last edited by Rich Tea Wellin on Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

gshaw wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:25 am
PKM wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:09 am Yes, main point is Championship by 5 years
We love RW
There you go.
Good to see we're showing interest in the Hockey ground again. Hearn got so caught up in the main Olympic Stadium he missed an opportunity with the one that was more suited for us.
Hearn was interested in the Hockey Stadium. In fact that was his main goal once it became clear that Johnson was hellbent on putting West Ham in the Olympic Stadium.

Travis bringing it up again now is pure misdirection.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles ... is-claimed
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:43 am

I get the point but they also haven’t don’t anything to make me eat at the ground. In fact, I ate at the ground for the first time in ages at the Pompey ground vowed never to do so again. I got a chili dog which was advertised as ‘premium’. It looked unappetising and tasted cheap. Towards the end I had to spit it out as I was chewing on gristle for 60 seconds. Made me feel sick. Not exactly cheap either.

The geezer has worked at the highest level in catering and we serve up generic, unhealthy, poor quality food.

As I’ve said numerous times - we are in a prime location for some amazing local food and drink, with a new demographic of young people interested in good food and drink. It’s a selling point we continue to ignore to not only make more money out of current fans but by using it to attract new fans
Spot on. £4.20 for a chicken balti pie is ridiculous.

Essentially accusing Orient fans of stealing or not being loyal for daring to go elsewhere is a terrible look.
CEB

Post by CEB »

During a cost of living crisis, criticising fans for making reasonable decisions about where they buy food and drink is embarrassingly misjudged - and if “thanks for your support” in context was sarcasm at those that buy food elsewhere, then the guy is a c***.

Maybe he’s been listening to too many super fans and assumed that that’s the bestest way to engage with football? Fact is it’s nobody’s job to financially support a football club by putting the clubs finances above our own convenience. As far as I’m aware, fans are buying a sh*t steak pie, not a “stake” of the “pie”, to make an incredibly laboured pun.

The current regime not being Beelzebub was a low bar that they passed with flying colours, but after that period, Orient fans should be more suspicious of owners, not just grateful that someone else is in charge
The Reverend
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by The Reverend »

Whilst we’re on the topic of food, I do think that the menu on offer at the ground needs thinking about. It’s incongruent with the clubs strategy of attracting a newer and younger fanbase.

What I mean by this is that peoples tastes have changed. Many are also much more conscious about what they eat. If someone generally eats a healthy diet why would they suddenly decide to eat burgers or hotdogs or pies just because they are at the football? Makes no sense. I’m not saying go all Jamie Oliver and get rid of the Turkey twizzlers but if you’re moaning about people eating elsewhere then maybe have a think about why that might be? It’ll be a combination of price and offering.
Last edited by The Reverend on Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PKM
Fresh Alias

Post by PKM »

Seems pretty harsh to focus on the food aspect in what was a wide ranging interview.
I think we are very fortunate to have Travis & Teague as owners.
That doesn’t mean they aren’t above criticism but the flack here seems very undeserved to me.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

CEB wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:01 pm During a cost of living crisis, criticising fans for making reasonable decisions about where they buy food and drink is embarrassingly misjudged - and if “thanks for your support” in context was sarcasm at those that buy food elsewhere, then the guy is a c***.

Maybe he’s been listening to too many super fans and assumed that that’s the bestest way to engage with football? Fact is it’s nobody’s job to financially support a football club by putting the clubs finances above our own convenience. As far as I’m aware, fans are buying a sh*t steak pie, not a “stake” of the “pie”, to make an incredibly laboured pun.

The current regime not being Beelzebub was a low bar that they passed with flying colours, but after that period, Orient fans should be more suspicious of owners, not just grateful that someone else is in charge
First long sentence is a complete overreaction at the end. Otherwise I am in agreement.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

His snarky comment about WF council was out of touch too.

Brings up the Welsh government giving Wrexham £17m towards their stadium and goes on to say “Waltham Forest are investing £7m in Leyton Station, I think you’ll find we bring in a lot of economic, social and political value into Leyton and the LBWF”.

Does he seriously expect the local council to help fund any new development either at the current ground or a new site? Absolute piss taker.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:33 am
Nigel. Some of it was good as usual but his attitude was off for me. I’m sure others will see things differently. Worth a listen
The inner businessman came out there. The desire to cut losses is now greater than the need to be liked at all times. Could be argued he's earned the right to say that having completed the 6 year plan.

On the food and drink side until Orient install a Costa Coffee, cost cafe and less crowded bar facilities people will continue to go elsewhere.

Sitting in your seat for an hour before the game is pretty dull going and if thousands of fans are going to be in the hospitality areas it'll get very uncomfortable very quickly.

Maybe Nigel should take over some of the cafes in the high street and make a fan hub in there :D
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

gshaw wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:15 pm
BiggsyMalone wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:33 am

The inner businessman came out there. The desire to cut losses is now greater than the need to be liked at all times. Could be argued he's earned the right to say that having completed the 6 year plan.

On the food and drink side until Orient install a Costa Coffee, cost cafe and less crowded bar facilities people will continue to go elsewhere.

Sitting in your seat for an hour before the game is pretty dull going and if thousands of fans are going to be in the hospitality areas it'll get very uncomfortable very quickly.

Maybe Nigel should take over some of the cafes in the high street and make a fan hub in there :D
He can’t keep saying ‘I’ve personally invested millions because I’m a fan’ and then follow up with the opposite attitude.
CEB

Post by CEB »

PKM wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:08 pm Seems pretty harsh to focus on the food aspect in what was a wide ranging interview.
I think we are very fortunate to have Travis & Teague as owners.
That doesn’t mean they aren’t above criticism but the flack here seems very undeserved to me.

“They’re not above criticism. Having said that, no criticism please, they don’t deserve it”
PKM
Fresh Alias

Post by PKM »

I think there are some valid points re the food offerings and the club could do more.
But I’m pleased we have owners who listen and get a lot more right than they get wrong.
The Reverend
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by The Reverend »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:14 pm His snarky comment about WF council was out of touch too.

Brings up the Welsh government giving Wrexham £17m towards their stadium and goes on to say “Waltham Forest are investing £7m in Leyton Station, I think you’ll find we bring in a lot of economic, social and political value into Leyton and the LBWF”.

Does he seriously expect the local council to help fund any new development either at the current ground or a new site? Absolute piss taker.
A multi-millionaire who lives in the US moaning about a local council investing in a station which provides a public service that people use every day to get to work/generally get around. Have I understood that right?

I honestly don’t see what the improvements to the tube station has to do with LOFC? If anything, an improved station will benefit LOFC. Really weird thing for him to point out. I do sometimes think that these incredibly rich people are wildly out of touch with the everyday lives of working people.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

On another note we can make a guess that Kelman might be one of the ins, alongside perhaps another CB.

Who might be going the other way, especially from a senior pro POV?
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

To clear up, this isn’t THAT podcast - whatever your view on outlook, they aren’t operating at the same level as orient hour
PKM
Fresh Alias

Post by PKM »

Hunt out?