Smyth to QPR

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

DaveDunmore
Fresh Alias

Re: Smyth to QPR

Post by DaveDunmore »

Just an off the cuff comment for me ,no matter what you say today their is always someone who will take offence . Move on he is history now
Chelmsford Swimmer
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Chelmsford Swimmer »

Mistadobalina wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:56 am
ComeOnYouOs wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:26 am In Smyths interview with QPR, he made a comment about " being on loan for 2 years", with us. I found this a very offensive, degrading remark, which was uncalled for.
He made not the slightest mention of Orient, by name, nor did he thank anyone at the club, for anything.
Not sure he'll ever get a warm reception down Brissie again
Compare that with the Way Vigs left. A social media 'letter' thanking everyone at the club, most by first name, and a 'once an O, always an O' bit on the bottom.
Class individual, who will always guarantee getting a warm welcome back here in the future

Please develop a higher threshold for offence than a throwaway comment in an interview where the sole purpose is to blow smoke up the arse of the club you've just signed for.
Fully understand him leaving, what's best for the family comes first, but I did find it a bit ironic when he says "It feels like I've been unknown for two years", when it was Orient who got him back on the radar.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Does it really bother anyone? He was our top scorer in a championship season and scored more bangers last season than anyone not called Dean Cox has managed in the last decade. People move jobs and I don't think you could argue we didn't get what we'd hoped from him.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Mistadobalina wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:08 am Does it really bother anyone? He was our top scorer in a championship season and scored more bangers last season than anyone not called Dean Cox has managed in the last decade. People move jobs and I don't think you could argue we didn't get what we'd hoped from him.
Players come. Players go. It's the way of football. I agree. Move on. There will be another one along in a minute we can all boo.
Chelmsford Swimmer
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Chelmsford Swimmer »

Mistadobalina wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:08 am Does it really bother anyone? He was our top scorer in a championship season and scored more bangers last season than anyone not called Dean Cox has managed in the last decade. People move jobs and I don't think you could argue we didn't get what we'd hoped from him.
Personally I think Tom James scored more bangers last season than Paul Smyth, without having to go back a decade.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Mistadobalina wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:08 am Does it really bother anyone?
Yep, it really does to some thickos. You could shove that Goodbye tweet in their face and they'll still be whining about how disrespectful he's been.

Imagine even thinking about not giving him a standing ovation next time he comes to Brisbane Road after the monumental role he played this season.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Proposition Joe wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:57 am
banqo wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:43 am
ComeOnYouOs wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:26 am In Smyths interview with QPR, he made a comment about " being on loan for 2 years", with us. I found this a very offensive, degrading remark, which was uncalled for.
He made not the slightest mention of Orient, by name, nor did he thank anyone at the club, for anything.
Not sure he'll ever get a warm reception down Brissie again
Compare that with the Way Vigs left. A social media 'letter' thanking everyone at the club, most by first name, and a 'once an O, always an O' bit on the bottom.
Class individual, who will always guarantee getting a warm welcome back here in the future
In fairness to Smyth he has put out a statement thanking everyone but his comment hasn't gone down well.
Damage limitation and the bit thanking the staff was c&p'd from Vigs' one.
Smyth's one felt like it'd been generated by ChatGPT with the coaching staff names copy pasted from Vigs' one. As said above damage limitation PR nothing more.
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

Moan moan moan....

GL Smythy and thanks for some great memories. Hope you stay fit and healthy.
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

Dare I say it, but he was one of the best players that I’ve seen in an Orient shirt, genuinely exciting to watch and while we will miss him, I wish him every success and the best of luck at QPR.
No one is irreplaceable although, Lingy may disagree but let’s see who comes in.
As I’ve said before we’re some way down the ‘food chain’ and who can blame Paul Smyth for maximising his worth while he can.
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

The Club is annoyed with Smyth because he strung them along for a bit, that’s all. Vigs going has been nailed on for a very long time, partly because his offer was something that Orient could never compete with, whereas there was less of a gap between Orient’s and QPR’s.
EastDerehamO
Fresh Alias

Post by EastDerehamO »

OyinbO wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:32 am The Club is annoyed with Smyth because he strung them along for a bit, that’s all. Vigs going has been nailed on for a very long time, partly because his offer was something that Orient could never compete with, whereas there was less of a gap between Orient’s and QPR’s.
As someone posted earlier, the club announcement on Vigs & Smyth leaving did seem to have different tones, and that could well be the explanation.
Could have done without his ‘on loan’ remark which was a little thoughtless, but he was an integral part of our promotion, he puts his family first which is understandable. and I genuinely wish him well, am sorry to see him depart.
DuvB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DuvB »

OyinbO wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:32 am The Club is annoyed with Smyth because he strung them along for a bit, that’s all. Vigs going has been nailed on for a very long time, partly because his offer was something that Orient could never compete with, whereas there was less of a gap between Orient’s and QPR’s.
I think I understand PS wanting to go back to QPR to prove them wrong in releasing him. Hope he does well for them.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

We should have offered more then.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

DuvB wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:50 am
I think I understand PS wanting to go back to QPR to prove them wrong in releasing him. Hope he does well for them.
I completely understand that but they released him before because they thought he was too injury prone . Let's hope Paul doesn't prove them right.
Last edited by RedDwarf 1881 on Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

TRUMP Plumbing wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:58 am
We should have offered more then.
That's also what I thought but we don't really want to get into any bidding wars . We still need to bring in other good players and that won't be cheap .
DuvB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DuvB »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:59 am
DuvB wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:50 am
I completely understand that but they released him before because they thought he was too injury prone . Let's hope Paul doesn't prove them right.
I will be surprised if he is stays fit - he will be targeted more and in the Championship, the full backs will be faster and have more physicality. Hope I am wrong. I will be keeping an eye on his progress just like I have done with Bonne and Koroma.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Anyone giving him grief for leaving for money is a clown. He’s injury prone and approaching 30. This might be his last chance to get himself a decent contract to set him and his family up for the future. He dropped levels to help Orient get promoted, his loyalty was more than paid off.

He was great up until December last season and nowhere near as impactful after December. Its a loss but it isn’t the worst thing in the world. I look forward to getting behind whoever Richie wants to bring in.
Hedmans Header
Fresh Alias

Post by Hedmans Header »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:16 am Anyone giving him grief for leaving for money is a clown. He’s injury prone and approaching 30. This might be his last chance to get himself a decent contract to set him and his family up for the future. He dropped levels to help Orient get promoted, his loyalty was more than paid off.

He was great up until December last season and nowhere near as impactful after December. Its a loss but it isn’t the worst thing in the world. I look forward to getting behind whoever Richie wants to bring in.

I don’t believe for one moment anyone is giving
him grief for leaving for the money in any walk
of life we’d all do the same ..
I also don’t think anything is wrong with hanging
out til the end of his contact to see what’s next him and his family..
But to say “ I felt I was just away on loan for the
past two seasons “ shows just a distant lack on a
on a club who took a chance on someone’s whose
career was maybe going nowhere fast ..
By all means move on but at least show your previous employers and fans a small piece of respect ..
cymruO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cymruO »

Sorry to see Smythe go. Listening most matches, there was always a buzz when he got the ball and started a run. But thinking of QPR, does anyone know if we've made enquiries with QPR about Kelman or Sadlier?
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:16 am Anyone giving him grief for leaving for money is a clown. He’s injury prone and approaching 30. This might be his last chance to get himself a decent contract to set him and his family up for the future. He dropped levels to help Orient get promoted, his loyalty was more than paid off.

agree but I'm not sure 25 is approaching 30, in footballing terms anyway
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

cymruO wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:14 am Sorry to see Smythe go. Listening most matches, there was always a buzz when he got the ball and started a run. But thinking of QPR, does anyone know if we've made enquiries with QPR about Kelman or Sadlier?
Sadlier was Bolton
essexfootball
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by essexfootball »

Smyth got offered a three-year deal by a solid Championship team probably with Championship/high-end league one money, I don't think anyone can really blame him for taking that.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

OTF Photography Ltd wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:49 am

agree but I'm not sure 25 is approaching 30, in footballing terms anyway
I thought he was 28. He’s closer to 30 than 20 now
PKM
Fresh Alias

Post by PKM »

QPR can afford to take the risk with Smyth, we can’t.
If we gave him a 3 yr contract and he got crocked a month into the new season, we would be stuffed. To QPR it would just be a nuisance.
Good luck to him, the guy was a joy to watch in full flow, but , like everyone, he can be replaced.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Hedmans Header wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:55 am

I don’t believe for one moment anyone is giving
him grief for leaving for the money in any walk
of life we’d all do the same ..
I also don’t think anything is wrong with hanging
out til the end of his contact to see what’s next him and his family..
But to say “ I felt I was just away on loan for the
past two seasons “ shows just a distant lack on a
on a club who took a chance on someone’s whose
career was maybe going nowhere fast ..
By all means move on but at least show your previous employers and fans a small piece of respect ..
Some in this thread have.

He was a Championship player playing in League 2, he could have said a lot worse