Smyth to QPR

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Re: Smyth to QPR

Post by Proposition Joe »

So you know he's out of contract and we can't demand any kind of fee but still "to let him go for nothing seems criminal"?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Should have held him hostage.
WGC O
Fresh Alias

Post by WGC O »

Smyth will re-join Sky Bet Championship side Queens Park Rangers, signing permanently for the West London club.
The Northern Irishman joined Leyton Orient in the summer of 2021, one of former Orient manager Kenny Jackett’s first signings.
After a stop-start first season owing to injury, Smyth was a key component of the O’s Sky Bet League Two title-winning campaign.
Smyth notched 15 goals and four assists for the O’s in his 68 total appearances for the Club. The Club wishes Paul all the best in the future.

Vigouroux joined Orient in January of 2020, and made 152 appearances for the O's in all competitions, 150 of which consecutively, keeping a very impressive 59 clean sheets, including 24 in last season's victorious 2022/23 campaign.
The Chilean keeper was key in the defensive records broken last season, including nine consecutive home clean sheets in the league.
Vigouroux will link up with Vincent Kompany's Premier League-bound Burnley side, winners of the Sky Bet Championship last season amassing an impressive 101 points.
"Whilst we are disappointed to see Lawrence go, we would never stand in the way of a player making a move to a Premier League side," said Director of Football Martin Ling.
"Lawrence was a fantastic player for us and a great person to have in and around the dressing room. We wish him nothing but the best for the future."
All at Leyton Orient thank Lawrence for his magnificent contribution to the club both on and off the pitch in his three and a half years with the O's, and wholeheartedly wish him all the best for the future.

Not sure whether I'm reading too much into this... but those announcements seem to have a different tone about them....
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

Proposition Joe wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:53 pm So you know he's out of contract and we can't demand any kind of fee but still "to let him go for nothing seems criminal"?
Yes I realise all that. Perhaps I didn't explain it clearly. Fair enough.
It seems to me, wrong that a club can lose a player for no remuneration. Small clubs would need that money if it were there.
It's all too favouring the player and not the club at the moment.
There needs to be a half way house here, so players can go, but clubs get some fee.
I know what I mean
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Interesting thoughts. Not having a go, genuinely wondering why you view sportsmen/women in this way? Freedom of movement outside of contract has been enshrined for decades after Bosman and we don't look at other walks of life in this way. If you've ever changed jobs, would you expect your new employer to pay compensation to reflect any training or on job experience you'd received from your last company?

Absolutely agree re young players, particularly to stop big clubs Hoovering up young prospects for next to nothing but for older pros, just don't see the issue.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

Before Bosman it favoured clubs too much, now in my opinion it's too much the other way. We need a happy medium.
Football is like no other industry there is, and so what happens outside football, in many ways is different to what happens with footballers and clubs.
It's a good topic to discuss, and grateful you can have a different opinion without reverting to personal insults and name calling like others on here frequently do.
Hedmans Header
Fresh Alias

Post by Hedmans Header »

Many thanks Paul for your two years
on loan at Leyton Orient ..
Stan1972
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Stan1972 »

Good luck and thanks Paul Smyth 👏👏👏
All the best at QPR, I hope you smash it.
Your silky dribbling will be missed.

Over to RW & the Transfer committee to find another creative winger who will excite the fans.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Watch the eye roll and the bit of snark in Richie's response about Smyth going, he is not impressed but has a replacement in his sights

Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

gshaw wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:32 pm Watch the eye roll and the bit of snark in Richie's response about Smyth going, he is not impressed but has a replacement in his sights

Not sure I saw what you saw
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

It’s a massive loss really, let’s be honest. He had quality that we haven’t really got elsewhere and aside from that, he was the most exciting player we’ve had for a very long time.

Saying that, as much as it hurts I can’t begrudge him a move higher up. If he went somewhere in our league it would hurt more. A marquee replacement would help soften the blow.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Hedmans Header wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:24 pm Many thanks Paul for your two years
on loan at Leyton Orient ..
Read that, poor from Smyth.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

OTF Photography Ltd wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:50 pm
gshaw wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:32 pm Watch the eye roll and the bit of snark in Richie's response about Smyth going, he is not impressed but has a replacement in his sights

Not sure I saw what you saw
Didn't really spot the eye roll but his body language and tone definitely changed when talking about $myth, before throwing a bit of shade at his record and inferring he's replaceable.
FrankOFile
Fresh Alias

Post by FrankOFile »

BoniO wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:35 pm
RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:03 pm I agree but in his first season he missed about half and last season and about a third . Good player when fit but is made of glass . That's why QPR let him go in the first place . Newsflash , he's still the same . Hopefully we can sign somebody good who can play most of the season .
If you can't recognise the hugely positive impact that Smyth made, regardless of any injuries, then there is no hope for you. He'll be very, very hard to replace.
Have to agree. It is extremely churlish to think otherwise.

This is like a kick to the nads.
DrWindy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DrWindy »

I will miss him in an O’s shirt. He gave us something different. It’s a short career and he has to follow the money.

We have been outmuscled financially. Simple as that. We have done it to smaller clubs than us on occasions. It’s the way of the football world. The only way we can protect from it is to get bigger and stronger. We are doing it slowly and surely. We need to keep RW.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Not seen this interview but there was definitely a bit of snark when he was interviewed on the radio last week.

I wouldn't expect anything less from him, that's how he is.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

WGC O wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:04 pm Smyth will re-join Sky Bet Championship side Queens Park Rangers, signing permanently for the West London club.
The Northern Irishman joined Leyton Orient in the summer of 2021, one of former Orient manager Kenny Jackett’s first signings.
After a stop-start first season owing to injury, Smyth was a key component of the O’s Sky Bet League Two title-winning campaign.
Smyth notched 15 goals and four assists for the O’s in his 68 total appearances for the Club. The Club wishes Paul all the best in the future.

Vigouroux joined Orient in January of 2020, and made 152 appearances for the O's in all competitions, 150 of which consecutively, keeping a very impressive 59 clean sheets, including 24 in last season's victorious 2022/23 campaign.
The Chilean keeper was key in the defensive records broken last season, including nine consecutive home clean sheets in the league.
Vigouroux will link up with Vincent Kompany's Premier League-bound Burnley side, winners of the Sky Bet Championship last season amassing an impressive 101 points.
"Whilst we are disappointed to see Lawrence go, we would never stand in the way of a player making a move to a Premier League side," said Director of Football Martin Ling.
"Lawrence was a fantastic player for us and a great person to have in and around the dressing room. We wish him nothing but the best for the future."
All at Leyton Orient thank Lawrence for his magnificent contribution to the club both on and off the pitch in his three and a half years with the O's, and wholeheartedly wish him all the best for the future.

Not sure whether I'm reading too much into this... but those announcements seem to have a different tone about them....
Take it that's from the official site?

If so, that's pretty disgusting from Ling.
EH16
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by EH16 »

Beradogs wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:43 pm Just moving for a little bit more money and no loyalty to us despite reigniting his career. If that’s the mark of the man glad he’s gone.
Making a move that he feels will benefit his career is the mark of most men.
Chelmsford Swimmer
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Chelmsford Swimmer »

TRUMP Plumbing wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:06 am The Club wishes Paul all the best in the future.
If so, that's pretty disgusting from Ling.
[/quote]

I think I've heard worse.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

It’s hard to argue against any player moving to a higher league club and for more money . That’s just the way it is.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

In Smyths interview with QPR, he made a comment about " being on loan for 2 years", with us. I found this a very offensive, degrading remark, which was uncalled for.
He made not the slightest mention of Orient, by name, nor did he thank anyone at the club, for anything.
Not sure he'll ever get a warm reception down Brissie again
Compare that with the Way Vigs left. A social media 'letter' thanking everyone at the club, most by first name, and a 'once an O, always an O' bit on the bottom.
Class individual, who will always guarantee getting a warm welcome back here in the future
banqo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by banqo »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:26 am In Smyths interview with QPR, he made a comment about " being on loan for 2 years", with us. I found this a very offensive, degrading remark, which was uncalled for.
He made not the slightest mention of Orient, by name, nor did he thank anyone at the club, for anything.
Compare that with the Way Vigs left. A social media 'letter' thanking everyone at the club, most by first name, and a 'once an O, always an O' bit on the bottom.
Class individual, who will always guarantee getting a warm welcome back here in the future
In fairness to Smyth he has put out a statement thanking everyone but his comment hasn't gone down well.
HARVEY T DENTON
Fresh Alias

Post by HARVEY T DENTON »

He couldn't really turn a 3 year deal down at a higher division. Good luck to him I say, and I for one would applaud him if he ever played against us.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:26 am In Smyths interview with QPR, he made a comment about " being on loan for 2 years", with us. I found this a very offensive, degrading remark, which was uncalled for.

Please develop a higher threshold for offence than a throwaway comment in an interview where the sole purpose is to blow smoke up the arse of the club you've just signed for.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

banqo wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:43 am
In fairness to Smyth he has put out a statement thanking everyone but his comment hasn't gone down well.
Damage limitation and the bit thanking the staff was c&p'd from Vigs' one.