What actually is Lings Role / Transfer Committee

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Hedmans Header
Fresh Alias

Re: What actually is Lings Role / Transfer Committee

Post by Hedmans Header »

The Transfer Committee is everything that is
going wrong at our Club ..

We constantly hear of lists being drawn up
with 1st choice if that’s not successful we look
at the 2nd option and so on ..
Whilst there have been some great signings
e.g Bonne and James to name a couple the
poor/average far outweigh the good ones ..

Our best player Tom James has been out injured
since the 11th Dec and yet despite constantly
being told it’s a position that requires urgent
attention we end up playing a centre mid and even
thou we sign a right back from Millwall he barely
gets off the bench ..

6 weeks ago we were a side scoring freely looking at
a possible promotion, 6 weeks on we are a side everyone
wants to play cos at present we offer nothing to fear ..

We’ll even turn up at games with a bare minimum 14 players
just to hand our opponents a walk over victory ..

Think KJ and his staff are the right people but please just let them
manage and recruit who they wish within the budget..
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Players can say
I'm not going there ,
Hence why a 2nd/3rd choice is needed !
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Simple Man wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:01 pm
Jack wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:14 am Two subjects in one thread. Here goes
I dont ever remember hearing anyone at the club spelling out EXACTLY what Lings role is. I presume a DOF is a link between the manager and the chairman. The DOF would do all the players contracts, and talk to players and their agents about contractual stuff etc, but does Ling do any more than that?
Does he really choose the players to be signed, does he have any input in training and fitness etc. Id like it spelled out to me exactly what he does

Now, tangled in that is this so called Transfer committee. I thought that came about because we had a rookie manager ( Ross), who needed help with transfers because of his inexperience. Whether that was true or not, i have no idea, but if it was, once Kenny, with years of experience came here, that transfer committee should have disappeared IMO. Kennys been dealing with players for years, he needs no help from this transfer committee.( or Ling).

Im not a huge fan of a DOF at our level, but if we are to have one, his role should be clearly defined, and not include choosing players for the first team squad. If he is actually choosing players, then Ling hasnt covered himself in glory, having brought more below par players here, than good ones.
This DOF's role is confusing because we dont know exactly what it is, and what Ling does exactly
His role is none of your business. It is part of the management structure Travis and Teague have implemented to run the club. They are the owners, they are subsidizing the club and they don't need to issue their job descriptions to us.
Fans subsidise the club too.

Of course, they don’t have to tell us. But it would be a good way to bring fans on board with their plans and how they are running our club, for checks and balances like. Not like we’ve had any owners implementing a DoF shrouded in secrecy before.
Mr. Peanutbutter
Fresh Alias

Post by Mr. Peanutbutter »

Jack wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:14 am Im not a huge fan of a DOF at our level
Yet you've basically said you don't know what the role entails...
Jack
Fresh Alias

Post by Jack »

Mr. Peanutbutter wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:18 pm
I know what it entails usually, but i question whether lings role entails more than the usual role
Simple Man
Fresh Alias

Post by Simple Man »

Apple Wumble wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:16 pm
Jack wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:14 am Two subjects in one thread. Here goes
I dont ever remember hearing anyone at the club spelling out EXACTLY what Lings role is. I presume a DOF is a link between the manager and the chairman. The DOF would do all the players contracts, and talk to players and their agents about contractual stuff etc, but does Ling do any more than that?
Does he really choose the players to be signed, does he have any input in training and fitness etc. Id like it spelled out to me exactly what he does

Now, tangled in that is this so called Transfer committee. I thought that came about because we had a rookie manager ( Ross), who needed help with transfers because of his inexperience. Whether that was true or not, i have no idea, but if it was, once Kenny, with years of experience came here, that transfer committee should have disappeared IMO. Kennys been dealing with players for years, he needs no help from this transfer committee.( or Ling).

Im not a huge fan of a DOF at our level, but if we are to have one, his role should be clearly defined, and not include choosing players for the first team squad. If he is actually choosing players, then Ling hasnt covered himself in glory, having brought more below par players here, than good ones.
This DOF's role is confusing because we dont know exactly what it is, and what Ling does exactly
His role is none of your business. It is part of the management structure Travis and Teague have implemented to run the club. They are the owners, they are subsidizing the club and they don't need to issue their job descriptions to us.

Of course, they don’t have to tell us. But it would be a good way to bring fans on board with their plans and how they are running our club, for checks and balances like. Not like we’ve had any owners implementing a DoF shrouded in secrecy before.
Fans don't subsidize the club. Fans are simply a customer who is purchasing a commodity. You don't go to a store and want to see the purchasing manger if you think the price he is paying and passing on to you is too high. You just go and shop elsewhere. You have the choice.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Jack wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:22 pm
I know what it entails usually, but i question whether lings role entails more than the usual role
A very strange thing to question as a mere fan .
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Simple Man wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:35 pm
Apple Wumble wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:16 pm

Fans don't subsidize the club. Fans are simply a customer who is purchasing a commodity. You don't go to a store and want to see the purchasing manger if you think the price he is paying and passing on to you is too high. You just go and shop elsewhere. You have the choice.
Football clubs aren't shops. If you aren't interested in how our club is run, that's up to you. Luckily, our owners have been extremely open so far. I dont think it's a ridiculous ask to understand their plan for our club and what roles people (including the fans) play into that.

Stop making it into a bigger thing than it sounds. I dont want to know what pants Ling wears, I would be interest in knowing what part he plays in recruitment, contracts, etc...
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

Question for Ling on the next podcast: boxers or briefs?
KC & sunshine band
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by KC & sunshine band »

Not sure but would have a guess at jam rolly polly and double custard
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

Not having any cover for the right back position was an unforgivable error by Ling.
This should have been attended to in the summer.
We' lost' about 14 players at the end of last season, yet Ling thought it ok to replace the 14, with nine replacements.
So much of what he does is terrible. How he's still here is remarkable IMO
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:10 pm Not having any cover for the right back position was an unforgivable error by Ling.
We' lost' about 14 players at the end of last season, yet Ling thought it ok to replace the 14, with nine replacements.
Kenny Said
It's what it is & we have to deal with it .
Nothing to do with ling
He doesn't set the playing budget.
PoundhillO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by PoundhillO »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:10 pm Not having any cover for the right back position was an unforgivable error by Ling.
It truly was an unbelievable error, especially when his own son was a right back for us , strange that.
Mind you he was so poor maybe that’s the reason for no cover.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

There’s a kid at dagenham who CDAJ
PoundhillO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by PoundhillO »

Apple Wumble wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:58 pm There’s a kid at dagenham who CDAJ
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Apple Wumble wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:58 pm There’s a kid at dagenham who CDAJ
Scores goals from midfield to
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

There was cover for the right back position - Beckles and Clay. Whether you like it or not that decision and others for incoming players would not just have just been made by Ling but would have been made in consultation with Jackett and what he wanted the squad to look like.

And like it or not decisions on signings (numbers in etc) would also have been made based on the budget that the board had allocated. It's hardly unforgivable to not have had a second similar quality right back to James and restrict what we could do elsewhere or our ability to improve later in the season.

Example conversation likely would have been along the lines of "Kenny do you want a top quality back-up right back? If so then you can't have as good a forward as Smith or Drinan because we can't afford them or we'll need to bring in a cheaper goalie than Vigouroux?". It would have been massively inefficient to have two similar quality right backs when only one can play at a time and then suffer in other areas. The idea was probably to use Beckles and Clay as short term cover in the event of a suspension or short term injury and to cover the position by bringing in a proper right back if we had a more medium or longer term injury - which we have done

It's not true to say Ling is just making decisions himself without any consultation with anyone else because the DoF needs to work with the head coach, not against him. But as usual he's an easy target for people who like pointing fingers at someone or apportioning blame to feel better about things.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

What's very disappointing is most of our rivals have brought in players from higher leagues and are now starting to really improve . If we really wanted promotion this season I'm baffled why we didn't do the same thing . The transfer committee wanting young inexperienced players with potential maybe OK for the future but they are not going to get us promoted this season.
PoundhillO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by PoundhillO »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:03 am What's very disappointing is most of our rivals have brought in players from higher leagues and are now starting to really improve . If we really wanted promotion this season I'm baffled why we didn't do the same thing . The transfer committee wanting young inexperienced players with potential maybe OK for the future but they are not going to get us promoted this season.
Totally agree.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Anthem of Hope wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:11 am
Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:36 pm
There was cover for the right back position - Beckles and Clay. Whether you like it or not that decision and others for incoming players would not just have just been made by Ling but would have been made in consultation with Jackett and what he wanted the squad to look like.

And like it or not decisions on signings (numbers in etc) would also have been made based on the budget that the board had allocated. It's hardly unforgivable to not have had a second similar quality right back to James and restrict what we could do elsewhere or our ability to improve later in the season.

Example conversation likely would have been along the lines of "Kenny do you want a top quality back-up right back? If so then you can't have as good a forward as Smith or Drinan because we can't afford them or we'll need to bring in a cheaper goalie than Vigouroux?". It would have been massively inefficient to have two similar quality right backs when only one can play at a time and then suffer in other areas. The idea was probably to use Beckles and Clay as short term cover in the event of a suspension or short term injury and to cover the position by bringing in a proper right back if we had a more medium or longer term injury - which we have done

It's not true to say Ling is just making decisions himself without any consultation with anyone else because the DoF needs to work with the head coach, not against him. But as usual he's an easy target for people who like pointing fingers at someone or apportioning blame to feel better about things.
What a hypothetical story in your mind
Who knows what was said / thought / discussed / agreed.
Any chance mate you can do my lottery numbers next week since you know so much about everything.
Amazing story such thoughts of no fact. Your examples are devoid of absolutely no evidence - oh well that your character ain’t it all wind no go .
Any chance you can stop following me around and trolling me please? Since you can't contribute anything sensible or knowledgable about football it's best you stay away from my posts
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

Jack wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:22 pm
Therefore you don’t know.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Anthem of Hope wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:29 am
Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:19 am

Any chance mate you can do my lottery numbers next week since you know so much about everything.
Amazing story such thoughts of no fact. Your examples are devoid of absolutely no evidence - oh well that your character ain’t it all wind no go .
Any chance you can stop following me around and trolling me please? Since you can't contribute anything sensible or knowledgable about football it's best you stay away from my posts
Any chance you can disappear like CEB
Your post ain’t about football more like a bedtime story in a room full of fools
Talk fact mate not crap stories from a wired mind set
It's a fact that we had short term right back cover.
It's a fact that we have now brought in new players for James' position
It's a fact that we have a finite wages budget.
It's a fact that if we had wanted to sign a second similar quality right back last summer that compromises would need to be made elsewhere.
It's a fact that a DoF works with the manager/head coach and not independently of them.

Sorry that you're not capable of understanding that.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

But if all that is true, then it cant all be Lings fault :x
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:03 am What's very disappointing is most of our rivals have brought in players from higher leagues and are now starting to really improve . If we really wanted promotion this season I'm baffled why we didn't do the same thing . The transfer committee wanting young inexperienced players with potential maybe OK for the future but they are not going to get us promoted this season.
We've brought in players from higher leagues too, and blended those with a signing who by all accounts was playing well at L2 level and an up and coming talent who was on the radar of higher placed clubs.

It's incredibly simple to base the quality of signings on the level they originated from.

Agree that some more midfield experience is needed though. Likely need someone heading out for that to happen now.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:36 pm

More evidence in his than there is in any reasoning to
The Hatred directed at Martin Ling !!