What actually is Lings Role / Transfer Committee

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Jack
Fresh Alias

What actually is Lings Role / Transfer Committee

Post by Jack »

Two subjects in one thread. Here goes
I dont ever remember hearing anyone at the club spelling out EXACTLY what Lings role is. I presume a DOF is a link between the manager and the chairman. The DOF would do all the players contracts, and talk to players and their agents about contractual stuff etc, but does Ling do any more than that?
Does he really choose the players to be signed, does he have any input in training and fitness etc. Id like it spelled out to me exactly what he does

Now, tangled in that is this so called Transfer committee. I thought that came about because we had a rookie manager ( Ross), who needed help with transfers because of his inexperience. Whether that was true or not, i have no idea, but if it was, once Kenny, with years of experience came here, that transfer committee should have disappeared IMO. Kennys been dealing with players for years, he needs no help from this transfer committee.( or Ling).

Im not a huge fan of a DOF at our level, but if we are to have one, his role should be clearly defined, and not include choosing players for the first team squad. If he is actually choosing players, then Ling hasnt covered himself in glory, having brought more below par players here, than good ones.
This DOF's role is confusing because we dont know exactly what it is, and what Ling does exactly
EH16
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Re: What actually is Lings Role / Transfer Committee

Post by EH16 »

As with all these posts about our DOF yours is simply uninformed speculation. You're criticising someone for doping things when you don't even know the extent of his involvement. And in answer to your next post, the club isn't going to post on here a job spec for the DOF. If you want to know more contact the club directly and ask for info.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

From memory a few years ago Ling stated he was responsible for the footballing side of things, from the kids, youth teams and up to first team. What that means in detail I don’t know. Sounds to me like he’s responsible for contracts and was responsible for identifying players, which is now spread across the committee.

Vaguely remember a hint that the manager wasn’t on the committee, but had input in who was brought in.

Lings brought in some great players in his time: Marv, Bonne, Vigs, James to name a few but he clearly has limits and blind spots and I wonder whether it’s worth reassessing if our talent at the club matches our ambition.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

EH16 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:21 am As with all these posts about our DOF yours is simply uninformed speculation. You're criticising someone for doping things when you don't even know the extent of his involvement. And in answer to your next post, the club isn't going to post on here a job spec for the DOF. If you want to know more contact the club directly and ask for info.
I don’t think it’s unreasonable for the club to be very open in terms of their plans and what everyone’s role is in that. It’s not a fans right, but if everyone is on the same page then there won’t be speculation and we can all move in the right direction
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

What makes you think Kenny Jackett and Joe Gallen, with their decades of experience in the game, know any more than cricket fan Danny Macklin and Little Drummer Boy Mary Poppins?
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Double post
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

Jack wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:14 am Im not a huge fan of a DOF at our level, but if we are to have one, his role should be clearly defined, and not include choosing players for the first team squad. If he is actually choosing players, then Ling hasnt covered himself in glory, having brought more below par players here, than good ones.
This DOF's role is confusing because we dont know exactly what it is, and what Ling does exactly
:lol: You really think the DoF position would not be clearly defined when that role is accountable to Nigel Travis who has probably spent half of his life on job specs and roles & responsibilities? So what if we don't know all of the nuts and bolts - the overview of the role has been covered in podcast interviews many times.

I wonder if fans at other clubs with DoFs are as over obssessed with what their DoF does as some of our fans.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

EH16 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:21 am As with all these posts about our DOF yours is simply uninformed speculation. You're criticising someone for doping things when you don't even know the extent of his involvement. And in answer to your next post, the club isn't going to post on here a job spec for the DOF. If you want to know more contact the club directly and ask for info.
Your reply to the opening post is quite aggressive in tone, which I've come to expect from you because most of your posts are aggressive in tone.
Your not a nice man are you?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:45 am
Your reply to the opening post is quite aggressive in tone, which I've come to expect from you because most of your posts are aggressive in tone.
You would say that though, Jack.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Apple Wumble wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:24 am
I don’t think it’s unreasonable for the club to be very open in terms of their plans and what everyone’s role is in that. It’s not a fans right, but if everyone is on the same page then there won’t be speculation and we can all move in the right direction
The owners have been more open than any before, its just that some people aren't paying attention.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:52 am
Apple Wumble wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:24 am
The owners have been more open than any before, its just that some people aren't paying attention.
... But of course you are. So tell us all then
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

You are correct COYO, there’s a few on here that are rude and aggressive as you rightly point out, however there are ways of putting your point across without all that, I treat people how they treat me and all that does is make you as bad as they are, no wonder why people leave and go elsewhere 🙊
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

says the bloke who put a swastika on an O's shirt .
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Monkey Boy wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:18 am
You are correct COYO, there’s a few on here that are rude and aggressive as you rightly point out, however there are ways of putting your point across without all that, I treat people how they treat me and all that does is make you as bad as they are, no wonder why people leave and go elsewhere 🙊
Unfortunately like you they come back !
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

I rest my case🙊
PoundhillO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by PoundhillO »

It is very clear why this was posted, the question we all want to know is who is responsible for the lack of proven, experienced players to cover every position from the start of the season and again in the January transfer window.
In my opinion who ever it is needs to stop it and let someone who knows what they are doing take over.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Monkey Boy wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:28 pm I rest my case🙊
you have no case to rest, the lesser place is sh*te so you came back to the only place that matters, still to much of a coward to call out the owners on the relevant threads I see !
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

PoundhillO wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:32 pm It is very clear why this was posted, the question we all want to know is who is responsible for the lack of proven, experienced players to cover every position from the start of the season and again in the January transfer window.
In my opinion who ever it is needs to stop it and let someone who knows what they are doing take over.
its down to the board of directors for not investing like brentford ,get on those threads, or are you just to Cowardly ?
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

tuffers#1 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:19 pm
you have no case to rest, the lesser place is sh*te so you came back to the only place that matters, still to much of a coward to call out the owners on the relevant threads I see !
As if I would take any notice of a schizophrenic idiot like you, keep taking the tablets, they should kick in by may, probably the same time they did for you last year🤷‍♀️🙊
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Monkey Boy wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:33 pm
As if I would take any notice of a schizophrenic idiot like you, keep taking the tablets, they should kick in by may, probably the same time they did for you last year🤷‍♀️🙊
says you , taking notice & replying to us ! :lol:
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Ban
Simple Man
Fresh Alias

Post by Simple Man »

Jack wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:14 am Two subjects in one thread. Here goes
I dont ever remember hearing anyone at the club spelling out EXACTLY what Lings role is. I presume a DOF is a link between the manager and the chairman. The DOF would do all the players contracts, and talk to players and their agents about contractual stuff etc, but does Ling do any more than that?
Does he really choose the players to be signed, does he have any input in training and fitness etc. Id like it spelled out to me exactly what he does

Now, tangled in that is this so called Transfer committee. I thought that came about because we had a rookie manager ( Ross), who needed help with transfers because of his inexperience. Whether that was true or not, i have no idea, but if it was, once Kenny, with years of experience came here, that transfer committee should have disappeared IMO. Kennys been dealing with players for years, he needs no help from this transfer committee.( or Ling).

Im not a huge fan of a DOF at our level, but if we are to have one, his role should be clearly defined, and not include choosing players for the first team squad. If he is actually choosing players, then Ling hasnt covered himself in glory, having brought more below par players here, than good ones.
His role is none of your business. It is part of the management structure Travis and Teague have implemented to run the club. They are the owners, they are subsidizing the club and they don't need to issue their job descriptions to us.
Omygawd
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Omygawd »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:48 pm

Ban
Could this be extended for abusing the convention that the months of the year are normally started with a Capital when in written form?
EH16
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by EH16 »

Your uninformed opinions are of no consequence.
EH16
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by EH16 »

Monkey Boy wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:18 am
I too treat people how they treat me so if you post something stupid you can expect to be treated like an idiot.