Recording of The Orient Hour with Kevin Hales

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

The Orient Hour
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Recording of The Orient Hour with Kevin Hales

Post by The Orient Hour »

Kent
Fresh Alias

Re: Recording of The Orient Hour with Kevin Hales

Post by Kent »

Hello Andy

Just some comments on tonight’s very enjoyable show.

The injury to James, the inconsistency, squad depth and too many draws and not enough wins are concerning. Ultimately these will conspire to deny us promotion this season I feel if they continue.

Overall I’ve really enjoyed this season (although missed three games at home: won 4-0, 4-1 and 5-0!) with the players showing well with Jacket being very good. Hoping for a creative midfielder, possibly a box-to-box midfielder and a right full back.

The discussion on Crawley and their manager John Yems was fascinating. For my money they are an appalling side, which made our losing the game even more galling. Although no doubt they were very savvy I feel their brand of football to be so negative and their use of filthy tricks just depressing.

One element of the modern game I’d love to see stamped out (probably by legislation) is time-wasting.
Rules can be introduced as have been (such as with goalkeepers steps then time to release the ball etc) so let’s hope the footballing authorities get to grips with this as every week we see this ‘gamesmanship’, which means we are only seeing something like 40-50 minutes of football.
At every goal kick and throw in players are dithering to waste time, likewise even retrieving the ball. Add that to some spurious injuries and it’s getting out of hand.
Maybe something to discuss on a future show?

So lovely to hear a Norman Collier reference too!

Nick
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Well said Gilso.
The Orient Hour
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Kent wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:01 pm Hello Andy

Just some comments on tonight’s very enjoyable show.

The injury to James, the inconsistency, squad depth and too many draws and not enough wins are concerning. Ultimately these will conspire to deny us promotion this season I feel if they continue.

Overall I’ve really enjoyed this season (although missed three games at home: won 4-0, 4-1 and 5-0!) with the players showing well with Jacket being very good. Hoping for a creative midfielder, possibly a box-to-box midfielder and a right full back.

The discussion on Crawley and their manager John Yems was fascinating. For my money they are an appalling side, which made our losing the game even more galling. Although no doubt they were very savvy I feel their brand of football to be so negative and their use of filthy tricks just depressing.

One element of the modern game I’d love to see stamped out (probably by legislation) is time-wasting.
Rules can be introduced as have been (such as with goalkeepers steps then time to release the ball etc) so let’s hope the footballing authorities get to grips with this as every week we see this ‘gamesmanship’, which means we are only seeing something like 40-50 minutes of football.
At every goal kick and throw in players are dithering to waste time, likewise even retrieving the ball. Add that to some spurious injuries and it’s getting out of hand.
Maybe something to discuss on a future show?

So lovely to hear a Norman Collier reference too!

Nick
Thanks Nick. As it happens outside of the show we were discussing the time wasting aspect and Barry Galvin was stating that as the ball is apparently only in play for an average of 60 mins he'd like to see the clock stop everytime there's a stoppage for either a free kick, injury, ball out of play to ensure that a full match is played regardless of any time wasting tactics. Glad you enjoyed the show, Christian certainly didn't hold back in his condemnation of the teams performance and managerial tactics last weekend did he!
aylesburyos
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by aylesburyos »

I personally thought Christian was well over the top with his comments. Not sure if it is just me but he has slated KJ on a no of occasions & coming from a non league player is laughable. Yes we had just lost but we had beaten Swindon a few days before with a stunning performance
The Orient Hour
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

aylesburyos wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:35 pm I personally thought Christian was well over the top with his comments. Not sure if it is just me but he has slated KJ on a no of occasions & coming from a non league player is laughable. Yes we had just lost but we had beaten Swindon a few days before with a stunning performance
Hi Aylesbury
Hope you're well, thanks for the comments and for listening. Yep I think Christian expects better from both the team and KJ, but it's all about opinions, he has his and we all have ours. As for non league, yes most of his career was spent in non league football, he did start with a league club and did play a few seasons in the states, but I've met many football people over the years and imho Christian understands the game and is very tactically astute, surprised the Os academy haven't asked if he'd help out with a bit of coaching tbh.
Thing is Aylesbury if we sit there like nodding dogs praising everything then we will get pelters from some for being happy clappy, I think perhaps the awfulness of the last match probably made everyone a little more heavy with their criticism than usual. But as I've said it's all about opinions.
All the best to you and yours.
Mr Wonderful
Fresh Alias

Post by Mr Wonderful »

Hi, first time I've posted and 1st time I've listened to the show. Very enjoyable listen despite last weekends result. I do think Aylesburyos has a point though when he says that Christian was very harsh on Kenny and the team. I look forward to listening again next week.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

Mr Wonderful wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:45 pm Hi, first time I've posted and 1st time I've listened to the show. Very enjoyable listen despite last weekends result. I do think Aylesburyos has a point though when he says that Christian was very harsh on Kenny and the team. I look forward to listening again next week.
Oh great, another alias
Mr Wonderful
Fresh Alias

Post by Mr Wonderful »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:47 pm
Mr Wonderful wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:45 pm Hi, first time I've posted and 1st time I've listened to the show. Very enjoyable listen despite last weekends result. I do think Aylesburyos has a point though when he says that Christian was very harsh on Kenny and the team. I look forward to listening again next week.
Oh great, another alias
Obviously Mr Wonderful isn't my real name, but I am new on here so please be kind.