Moving Forward From This

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

spen666
Regular
Regular

Moving Forward From This

Post by spen666 »

I do not want to start a debate about who should or should not be manager but I do want to say I can't imagine how hard it will be for the club management to go about the process of finding a new manager and how hard it will be for any new person after the loss of JE. Then there is the players and how they face a new season without the man who they genuinely had lots of affection for and who they all respected.

I hope as fans we remember this if the team do not make as positive start next season as we all want.

We as fans will carry emotional baggage into next season, but it will be far harder for the players and staff at Orient.

Pre-season training is due to start in a few weeks time. I do not know how the players and staff will feel when this date comes around and JE's loss is brought home to them on a daily basis.

The tributes to him from all those who knew him are so positive. I have yet to read anything other than praise for him even from Big George after his falling out last season. JE really does come across as a genuinely popular person
faith1234
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Re: Moving Forward From This

Post by faith1234 »

Here here i argee only when the time is right
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

I hope our grief and sense of loss is filled by a collective desire to serve his memory in the best possible way - from the boardroom and offices to the stands and onto the pitch. It will not be easy but there is an obligation to continue what JE started.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Was gonna start something similar to this tomorrow, but wasn't quite sure i could find the words.

I think the question for me is how the hell do they move forward?

Of course, JE's passing is far, far more than football and thats part of the problem. Football all just seems insignificant at the moment. But of course, we will be fielding at a team in about 8 weeks for the first game of the season and things have to continue.

Personally, at this very moment, I can only see that the manager would come from within. Mainly because how does someone from outside, come into a club in this situation and do a good job? I think it's impossible. But saying that, even if it is internal, someone like Danny Webb, Ross Embelton, even Jobi, or a combination of them, it's still going to be an almighty task to lift the club and the players.

I think and hope that because it's all so raw, it fells like its all pointless, but the reality will be that the group of players will come closer together and it pushes them on. I think they will all want to honour Justins vision for this club and i think it will bring the fanbase closer together.

Saying all that, I really have no f*cking idea how we go about moving on from all of this. I'm glad we have such great owners and i trust they will do everything going forward with dignity, with the club and Justins friends and family in mind.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

If we need to learn anything , we need look no further than
The Wales natoinal team & Gary Speed & Chris Coleman .

We must honour Justins Ethos about moving forward & using promotion as a Catalyst
for the progression of the Team.
But whoever comes in must be allowed to do his thing for the club & the future.

Good Luck to whoever it may be
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

Orient will need to interview a BAME applicant anyway so McAnuff will likely get an interview. But would he want it at this stage? And would we make a sentimental decision that risks going very wrong? Back in the league I can't help but feel that for stability's sake we need an experienced outsider to come in or risk ending up back where we were. Also, I wouldn't begrudge players wanting to move on after this.
one o in huntingdon
Fresh Alias

Post by one o in huntingdon »

I don't think it diminishes or belittles the feeling of loss and grief by admitting many of us are thinking what happens next.
Impossible to predict what the effect of our esteemed managers death will have on the players and how they perform.
Does seem from a fans point of view that his successor will need to come from within the club.
My guess in the interim it would be down to Martin and Jobi to sort things out.
Maybe even a bit of help from Kevin Lisbie, another well respected person with close ties to the club.
I can only imagine everyone wants to honour the memory of Justin by carrying on the good work. Easier said than done though, whatever transpires I'm sure all the supporters will be right behind it
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

I think sentiment from us all says it should come from within. That's not necessarily a) the right basis to make a decision and b) the best decision moving forward. Or both.
eagwgw
Fresh Alias

Post by eagwgw »

I don't think something like this would have been considered in the owners plans, just an incredible shock. I'm still having trouble believing it myself.

Personally I think whatever expectations we had for this season should be out of the window.

I think it is harder to prepare for this season than it was in 2017-2018. We had a time constraint then, but we simply backed the wrong personnel and chose the wrong tactics, and once we changed things, things picked up pretty quickly.

I can't imagine how difficult it would be to pick the players up and carry on. The first games and maybe more will be hugely emotional.

I do feel it would be slightly unfair to go after a new manager at the moment. Whoever comes in will be automatically a massive outsider who would have an almost impossible job, as his status would never eclipse that of Edinburgh.

For now I do believe we have enough in McAnuff, Webb, Embleton and Ling to survive in League Two. After a season we might have some more clues as to what we need.

After the disaster that was Steve Davis, I do believe that the club needs a manager to stamp his own authority on the team just like Justin did, not a halfway house. But I don't think the mindset will be right for that change to happen just yet and it could get ugly if an outsider comes in.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Our players will be on the floor so I think we're going to need somebody with some character . Many people will probably disagree with me but what about bringing back Russell Slade . A lot of boarders were saying how last season's team had the same spirit as the 2014 side , well Russell created that spirit .
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

Can’t believe people are even discussing this right now.
Mikero
Fresh Alias

Post by Mikero »

Lets all get the funeral out of the way and then start speculating shall we? It seems disrespectful to discuss replacements at the moment. I think this is what Spen was on about before people got the wrong end of it.

Mikero
Still's Carenae
Fresh Alias

Post by Still's Carenae »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:49 pm Our players will be on the floor so I think we're going to need somebody with some character . Many people will probably disagree with me but what about bringing back Russell Slade . A lot of boarders were saying how last season's team had the same spirit as the 2014 side , well Russell created that spirit .
Much too early to be thinking about.

But think that this is not unreasonable idea.
point nine one eight
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by point nine one eight »

Still's Carenae wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:02 am
RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:49 pm Our players will be on the floor so I think we're going to need somebody with some character . Many people will probably disagree with me but what about bringing back Russell Slade . A lot of boarders were saying how last season's team had the same spirit as the 2014 side , well Russell created that spirit .
Much too early to be thinking about.

But think that this is not unreasonable idea.
Let Jobi take the reins
grampus
Fresh Alias

Post by grampus »

It will have to be someone from the inside.

But it's a bit too early to discuss this now IMO.
Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Beradogs »

In whatever time scale somebody mentioned what was on their mind in relation to what the club does next somebody else would say it’s too early. Nobody is being disrespectful. Let people say what they think.
In my mind it should be an easy decision and Jobi takes over. That embrace at the end of the season a moment in our history no support will ever forget and the spirit of Justin lives on.
blindpew
Fresh Alias

Post by blindpew »

Jobi would be the sentimental choice and for many reasons it could work, however I remember Paulie Went being appointed for somewhat sentimental reasons and then having to be sacked it was a horrible situation for the man and the club.

If that should happen to Jobi , it would be so much worse!!!
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Russell Slade is a nice guy and a father figure type of person, yes him or someone like him to steady the ship might be a good idea.
As to Jobi taking on the job, well might work, for the moment perhaps better to leave him as captain with a role in the coaching etc.
Buddy Manucci
Fresh Alias

Post by Buddy Manucci »

Danny Webb and Ross Embleton for me in whatever roles Ling thinks fits best. MacAnuff will be involved if he wishes to go down that route this early. Webb would be my choice as the more experienced of the two and someone who has already had to face adversity and came out with nothing but our respect.

My belief is what we need now is consistency, everyone will be hurting and the first week of training will be numb, but this can drive the team forward to deliver what I believe Justin would have this season.
Baddo
Fresh Alias

Post by Baddo »

Have to agree it is too early really to be discussing this, for the next few days at least, football is irrelevant and we need to mourn.

Any expectations for next season need to be forgotten really and I wouldn't be surprised if Danny and Ross took over, albeit on a temporary or semi temporary basis to ride us through it. Not sure Jobi would be a good idea, as part of the playing squad still, and the team captain he has an enormous job to do on and off the pitch now over the coming weeks and months and I feel his presence will be invaluable to the players to help bring them together and do it for Justin, having the responsibility of being the manager would distract him from that role which is now so crucial for all the other players.

Not sure how anyone else coming in from the outside could possibly work in the short term, would need to be someone of a certain character to pick these boys up and put an arm round them. Dare I say it the only person I can think of in that mould is Slade.

But for now we should park those considerations for the next few days at least and let us all mourn this tragic loss.
o-no
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by o-no »

I do agree that it is too early to be discussing this, but we should be mindful that people mourn in different ways and there will be point when some people do want to discuss this but for others it is still too soon.

I don't think one thread about the short term future is inconsiderate as long as it is respectful. If people choose not to take part or ignore it, that's fine as well.
slacker
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by slacker »

Justin’s death seems too raw right now, and that will probably stay the case until after the funeral. But we fans and the Club will move on and put this tragic loss behind us soon enough: that’s just the way things work. Replacing JE will be a very tough decision for the Club - and one that can’t be put off too long - but though they are probably individually already thinking about it I reckon they’ll leave it a week before formally getting their heads round to discussing & collectively agreeing the best way forward.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

See if Snide wants it. An outsider might be best for a fresh start.
Eat The Rich
Fresh Alias

Post by Eat The Rich »

It has to be Jobi. Instant respect and solidarity. They'll all know Jobi feels what they feel. His word will carry far more weight than anyone else. Jobi, although his own man, will be intimately acquainted with JE's footballing philosophy and able to implement a gradual transition rather than an abrupt and painful shift.

It hurts to look forward but it must be done.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Its asking a lot of Jobi though. He's never managed anyone, never mind a newly promoted team who are completely broken. I'm not sure he'll want it, or necessarily has the skills necessary in a managerial capacity.