Rooney to speak to Plymouth over managerial vacancy

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Rooney to speak to Plymouth over managerial vacancy

Post by Sid Bishop »

How does Rooney keep getting jobs as a football manager, seems like in football ''Its not WHAT you know but WHO you know'' !!
As one of the comments below this news article says
''Didn't work at Derby, Didn't work at DC Utd ,Didn't work at Birmingham....Seeing the trend ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/ar ... 44xx1w1d8o
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Re: Rooney to speak to Plymouth over managerial vacancy

Post by Proposition Joe »

He did alright at Derby didn't he, considering they were an absolute mess? Coming close to keeping them up was a decent effort. Birmingham obviously a bin fire though.
DrWindy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DrWindy »

Just because you were a decent player doesn’t mean you will be a decent manager. It’s a conversation that has been had for probably fifty years. We are still having it.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Proposition Joe wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:47 am He did alright at Derby didn't he, considering they were an absolute mess? Coming close to keeping them up was a decent effort. Birmingham obviously a bin fire though.
Well then I will be expecting Plymouth to be in a relegation battle next season .
Last edited by RedDwarf 1881 on Fri May 24, 2024 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

DrWindy wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 11:07 am Just because you were a decent player doesn’t mean you will be a decent manager. It’s a conversation that has been had for probably fifty years. We are still having it.
I remember Brian Clough saying pretty much the same thing years ago .
essexfootball
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by essexfootball »

Insane appointment, nailed om relegation
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Sid Bishop wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:40 am How does Rooney keep getting jobs as a football manager, seems like in football ''Its not WHAT you know but WHO you know'' !!
''Didn't work at Derby, Didn't work at DC Utd ,Didn't work at Birmingham....Seeing the trend ?

He did well at Derby. Birmingham is an absolute sh*t show. No one cares about DC United.

A man who played under the greatest manager of all time and some other brilliant managers, won everything at club level and played at the highest level for his whole career and has a UEFA pro coaching license knows absolutely nothing about football. Its all about who he knows.
Scuba Diver
Fresh Alias

Post by Scuba Diver »

He did well at Derby; in a case of fire-fighting of epic proportions. Without doubt at the time the Rams' fanbase wanted him to stay.

Obviously Birmingham was rough/disaster. However a possibility the players "downed tools". They were clearly happy under Eustace and possibly resentful of his sacking..

If he gets the PAFC job then they 'may' be in a relegation battle, but as we saw this season were in one anyway.

I think Rooney deserves more respect. Particularly for his playing days. He is a football man without doubt and (warts and all, which are obviously plenty) totally real.
Unlike a Jurgen Klopp (say) who just comes across as false with a contrived personna to fit the bill, Rooney is just "a bloke".
Lifelongfan
Fresh Alias

Post by Lifelongfan »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:06 pm
Sid Bishop wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:40 am How does Rooney keep getting jobs as a football manager, seems like in football ''Its not WHAT you know but WHO you know'' !!

He did well at Derby. Birmingham is an absolute sh*t show. No one cares about DC United.

A man who played under the greatest manager of all time and some other brilliant managers, won everything at club level and played at the highest level for his whole career and has a UEFA pro coaching license knows absolutely nothing about football. Its all about who he knows.
What do you mean no one cares about DC United? Have you seen their crowds. They are based in the capital of the USA not a decaying town in Devon. Anyway most of the credit at Derby is due to Rosenoir
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Lifelongfan wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 3:11 pm

What do you mean no one cares about DC United? Have you seen their crowds. They are based in the capital of the USA not a decaying town in Devon. Anyway most of the credit at Derby is due to Rosenoir
Yes, the world of football doesn’t give a sh*t about them. Most of them support Premier League and La Liga teams.

You just hate Rooney.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Quote ''A man who played under the greatest manager of all time and some other brilliant managers, won everything at club level and played at the highest level for his whole career and has a UEFA pro coaching license knows absolutely nothing about football. Its all about who he knows''

So much the same could be said about Alan Shearer, Bobby Moore and Bobby Charlton, all great players but could not cut the mustard as football managers. Then on the other side of the coin, Arsene Wenger was a mediocre football player but a great football manager ! Even Jurgen Klopp said of himself ''that as a player he felt more suited to a managerial role, describing himself by saying "I had fourth-division feet and a first-division head''
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Sid Bishop wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:56 pm

Quote ''A man who played under the greatest manager of all time and some other brilliant managers, won everything at club level and played at the highest level for his whole career and has a UEFA pro coaching license knows absolutely nothing about football. Its all about who he knows''

So much the same could be said about Alan Shearer, Bobby Moore and Bobby Charlton, all great players but could not cut the mustard as football managers. Then on the other side of the coin, Arsene Wenger was a mediocre football player but a great football manager ! Even Jurgen Klopp said of himself ''that as a player he felt more suited to a managerial role, describing himself by saying "I had fourth-division feet and a first-division head''
Suspicious way of quoting there, my friend.
ContrifibulatoryFred
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by ContrifibulatoryFred »

Plymouth deserve Rooney
They are a horrible club who directly contributed to our demotion from the EFL with their ludicrous complaint about Liam Kelly and their ball boy. At that time Kelly was one of the few players we had who wore the shirt. He was banned for 5 games cos Plymouth couldn’t accept being beaten at home by the Os.
So I hope Wayne gets the job and dies his usual stuff
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

Did very well at Plymouth; DC United was a bit of a bucket case and he never achieved anything there. Birmingham was a bad move and he should have had the sense to see that. Plymouth will be a tough gig - they were sinking like a stone the second half of last season.

So what makes him do it? He does not need the money and Plymouth ain't Monaco. All the sh*t that seems to trail behind him - including hundred of message boards like ours saying the sort of stuff we are saying. Aged 38, he just loves football. He's got the experience of playing; he's done his badges and he showed some real ability at Derby. I hope he has a bit of success and enjoys his time at Plymouth.
Constanza
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Constanza »

He has a track record of enjoying old hoes.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

LittleMate wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:17 am Did very well at Plymouth; DC United was a bit of a bucket case and he never achieved anything there. Birmingham was a bad move and he should have had the sense to see that. Plymouth will be a tough gig - they were sinking like a stone the second half of last season.

So what makes him do it? He does not need the money and Plymouth ain't Monaco. All the sh*t that seems to trail behind him - including hundred of message boards like ours saying the sort of stuff we are saying. Aged 38, he just loves football. He's got the experience of playing; he's done his badges and he showed some real ability at Derby. I hope he has a bit of success and enjoys his time at Plymouth.
" So what makes him do it"? His ego.
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

Hope he goes there and they get relegated , last time I was at Plymouth they beat us 4-0 , the opening goal was a blatant handball and the referee and lino were the only people in the stadium who didn't see it ☹️
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

BIGRON wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:11 am Hope he goes there and they get relegated , last time I was at Plymouth they beat us 4-0 , the opening goal was a blatant handball and the referee and lino were the only people in the stadium who didn't see it ☹️
I pray they dont get relegated.....its a horrible club, we never beat them, its 600 miles there & back, unless we go up that is, then i hope they get relegated
DrWindy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DrWindy »

I hadn’t heard that quote before. I of course have never met Mr Rooney, but I would suspect he had first division feet and a fourth division head but maybe I am being unkind.

He completely messed it up at Birmingham. I would have thought any club seeing that would be incredibly wary.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

DrWindy wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 12:30 pm

I hadn’t heard that quote before. I of course have never met Mr Rooney, but I would suspect he had first division feet and a fourth division head but maybe I am being unkind.

He completely messed it up at Birmingham. I would have thought any club seeing that would be incredibly wary.
''Klopp confessed that as a player he felt more suited to a managerial role, describing himself by saying

"I had fourth-division feet and a first-division head.

Recalling his trial at Eintracht Frankfurt where he played alongside Andreas Möller, Klopp described how his 19-year-old self thought, "if that's football, I'm playing a completely different game. He was world-class. I was not even class." As a player, Klopp closely followed his manager's methods on the training field as well as making weekly trips to Cologne to study under Erich Rutemöller to obtain his Football Coaching Licence.

Quotes from Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%BCrgen_Klopp
Chelmsford Swimmer
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Chelmsford Swimmer »

Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

Rooney is a bloated and overweight ex footballer, he is 38 years old, looking old, well beyond his years,
How he has let himself go.
ChorizO
Fresh Alias

Post by ChorizO »

Sid Bishop wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 3:32 pm Rooney is a bloated and overweight ex footballer, he is 38 years old, looking old, well beyond his years,
Good to see you have a thorough up-to-date understanding of body image issues.
What does his appearance have to do with anything? What are you looking like these days?
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

ChorizO wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 7:34 am
Sid Bishop wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 3:32 pm Rooney is a bloated and overweight ex footballer, he is 38 years old, looking old, well beyond his years,
What does his appearance have to do with anything? What are you looking like these days?
Looking pretty good actually and certainly not overweight with a BMI of 25 !
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Sid Bishop wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:02 am
ChorizO wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 7:34 am
Looking pretty good actually and certainly not overweight with a BMI of 25 !
And yet, you’ve won nothing in football and spend your days talking about a league 1 team on a forum whilst criticising one of England’s greatest ever players who has probably never spent a second acknowledging Orient’s existence.