Grass not always greener

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Chelmsford Swimmer
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Grass not always greener

Post by Chelmsford Swimmer »

At the end of last season we lost two good players to bigger clubs:

Lawrence Vigouroux, not played a minute of first team football this season.

Paul Smyth not pulling up trees:
https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/qpr-w ... aul-smyth/

Appreciate that both probably have good salaries, but are they happier, hopefully our current crop will think carefully before jumping ship.
Stamford O
Fresh Alias

Re: Grass not always greener

Post by Stamford O »

I would have been happy if I had ever had my salary increased 3 or 4 fold for doing sweet FA,
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Stamford O wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:46 pm I would have been happy if I had ever had my salary increased 3 or 4 fold for doing sweet FA,
Exactly . I seriously doubt either have any regrets about moving . It's all about the money .
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Wonder if Vigs fancies a league one loan next season?

Unless their current keepers leave, he ain't getting a game.
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

Vigs was with the squad on Saturday at Spurs, warming up pre game with Muric and Trafford in front of 60,000, watched the game from behind the dugout, then got to rub shoulders with Son, Maddison etc after the game. All whilst earning an absolute fortune compared to what he was earning here.

I think he’s ok about the decision he made.
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

Long slender neck wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:58 pm Wonder if Vigs fancies a league one loan next season?

Trafford needs to be playing regularly at his age. I could see him moving on and Vigs becoming their no 2.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Hoover Attack wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:36 pm
Long slender neck wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:58 pm Wonder if Vigs fancies a league one loan next season?

Trafford needs to be playing regularly at his age. I could see him moving on and Vigs becoming their no 2.
They are a championship club now. Would assume they’ll sell Trafford or play him every game. Vigs has a chance if he leaves
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

Some keepers are happy to be the well-paid back-up. Look at the stats for Eldin Jakupovic since he played for the Os 10 years ago. Less than 30 starts. He's always been a back-up goalkeeper. Why not just train and take the money, better that than risk a serious injury?
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

EliotNes wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:01 am Some keepers are happy to be the well-paid back-up. Look at the stats for Eldin Jakupovic since he played for the Os 10 years ago. Less than 30 starts. He's always been a back-up goalkeeper. Why not just train and take the money, better that than risk a serious injury?
Vigs has done it for one season.
CEB

Post by CEB »

It is properly mad to not understand that a move to a top flight club, with higher standards across the board and training alongside experienced top flight players, is a career move, not just a “take the money and retire” move.
If he retires having never played another competitive match, have your judgements then. It seems likely to me that this experience will make him a better keeper
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

It’s like if you casually support Orient but actually care more about Spurs and watch them more

You’re going to be a better quality of fan because you’re used to the elite level stuff and not watching hoofball 50% of the time
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Give it to Jabo »

One does not get paid for being a fan, however.
CEB

Post by CEB »

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:26 am It’s like if you casually support Orient but actually care more about Spurs and watch them more

You’re going to be a better quality of fan because you’re used to the elite level stuff and not watching hoofball 50% of the time
I wouldn’t know, I don’t support orient
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

We are being a tad materialistic here. Self-image, pride etc? In my own football-playing time, I hated not playing, felt jealous of those that did. Felt very much on the outside etc.
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

Give it to Jabo wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:12 am We are being a tad materialistic here. Self-image, pride etc? In my own football-playing time, I hated not playing, felt jealous of those that did. Felt very much on the outside etc.
Guessing that you weren't doing it for a career, just as a bit of fun?
CEB

Post by CEB »

I left my Wednesday 5s team to be a sub for a team in the division above and I hated it, so i don’t get what Vigs is playing at
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Hoover Attack wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:26 am
Give it to Jabo wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:12 am We are being a tad materialistic here. Self-image, pride etc? In my own football-playing time, I hated not playing, felt jealous of those that did. Felt very much on the outside etc.
Guessing that you weren't doing it for a career, just as a bit of fun?
May be "fun" to you.... :D
Chelmsford Swimmer
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Chelmsford Swimmer »

CEB wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:22 am It is properly mad to not understand that a move to a top flight club, with higher standards across the board and training alongside experienced top flight players, is a career move, not just a “take the money and retire” move.
If he retires having never played another competitive match, have your judgements then. It seems likely to me that this experience will make him a better keeper
Not sure that Burnley have a great goalkeeping coach, seen enough cock ups from Trafford and Muric this season to make an episode of It'll be Alright on the Night. Have said previously I have no issue with Lawrence earning big bucks, but personally I think he would become a better keeper playing competitive League 1 football in front of thousands, rather than playing for Burnley B team in an empty stadium.
Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Beradogs »

Yes the money is nice but Vigs may well come to regret the prime years of his footballing life sitting in the stands. Anyone who loves football wants to play as much as humanely possible, I know I did. Once retired the biggest regret is you didn’t play just one more game.
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

He's a Championship level keeper. Some Orient fans will never accept that our players can go on to bigger and better things after they leave us: see also some of the reaction to Marvin leaving Blackpool.

The real issue here is about how the game in this country is so skewed that Premiership Clubs can afford to stockpile players that they'll probably never need.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

OyinbO wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:48 pm
The real issue here is about how the game in this country is so skewed that Premiership Clubs can afford to stockpile players that they'll probably never need.
Good to see his team get punished for stockpiling. Mibees Vigs will get more game time in the Championship, an interesting and competitive league.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Chelmsford Swimmer wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:33 pm
CEB wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:22 am It is properly mad to not understand that a move to a top flight club, with higher standards across the board and training alongside experienced top flight players, is a career move, not just a “take the money and retire” move.
Not sure that Burnley have a great goalkeeping coach, seen enough cock ups from Trafford and Muric this season to make an episode of It'll be Alright on the Night. Have said previously I have no issue with Lawrence earning big bucks, but personally I think he would become a better keeper playing competitive League 1 football in front of thousands, rather than playing for Burnley B team in an empty stadium.
If he could earn the same money as he does at Burnley he would probably agree with you. Saying that. If a deal could be struck.I would have him back at Orient in half a heartbeat
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

Chelmsford Swimmer wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:33 pm
Not sure that Burnley have a great goalkeeping coach, seen enough cock ups from Trafford and Muric this season to make an episode of It'll be Alright on the Night.
:D Fair point.

To be fair, most of the cock ups I've seen have been with their feet, trying to overplay football the Kompany way. I'm pretty sure their GK coaching will be as good as any other top Championship/bottom Premiership side.
The Reverend
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by The Reverend »

Were Burnley really able to pay Vigs a salary much higher than a championship team where he would have had more of a chance of actually playing?

It’s not like he went to Man City. Are Burnley really paying that much for their 3/4th choice GK?

I find it hard to believe that there wasn’t an offer on the table for Vigs somewhere which was a step up, a much increased salary and game time.

Paul Smyths move made much more sense, although I’m not surprised he has struggled in the Championship.
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

Chelmsford Swimmer wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:33 pmbut personally I think he would become a better keeper playing competitive League 1 football in front of thousands, rather than playing for Burnley B team in an empty stadium.
Disagree. Training day in day out with Muric and Trafford in a Championship/Premiership environment and the odd closed door game against other Prem B teams will easily make you a better keeper than training with Howlers and Byrne and playing L1 football.