Sol Brynn

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

KenleyO
Fresh Alias

Sol Brynn

Post by KenleyO »

While he was not responsible for today’s debacle there are plenty of issues with him.
1. Kicking. Panics when the ball is played back to him with any pace. Doesn’t show which side he wants the ball played to. When he does actually kick it the ball flight is so flat there is no chance of an Orient player ever controlling it.
2. Command of the area. He is as quiet as a church mouse and rarely calls for anything when the box is congested. He pathetic signalling to push out when Orient actually have the ball appears to be for his own benefit as no one is looking.
3. Shot stopping. His effort for the 2nd goal was pathetic. Most keepers with any ability would have kept that out, and it’s not the only example.

I think the team and defence in particular don’t trust him and try to play around him. When you are used to a solid keeper between the posts it leads to the defensive mistakes we are seeing week in week out.

Would be happy if he goes back to Middlesbrough as there has got to be better out there.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Sol Brynn

Post by gshaw »

Shown so far why you don't take a chance in youth in a critical spine position within the team. Seems to concede far too many goals from outside the box that are low and not particularly fast.

Him being recalled in January and signing an experienced pro, say a third choice from a Championship side would be a start to the transfer activity.

Also a sad indictment on the GK recruitment that bringing in the reserve keeper isn't a remotely viable option to shake things up.
ContrifibulatoryFred
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by ContrifibulatoryFred »

And he hasn’t scored any goals for us so let’s blame Bryan for that too
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

He was brought in partly because of his ability with the ball at his feet. He isn’t very good wirh them, so I don’t know who scouted that.
Chelmsford Swimmer
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Chelmsford Swimmer »

Brynn is the least or our worries. Not sure what people expect, a goalkeeper to be faultless? Has saved us on other occasions, we were never going to get another Vigaroux.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Chelmsford Swimmer wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:49 pm Brynn is the least or our worries. Not sure what people expect, a goalkeeper to be faultless? Has saved us on other occasions, we were never going to get another Vigaroux.
Why not? A senior pro? Someone who can lead from the back? One that can save shots from outside the box?
The Reverend
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by The Reverend »

Chelmsford Swimmer wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:49 pm Brynn is the least or our worries. Not sure what people expect, a goalkeeper to be faultless? Has saved us on other occasions, we were never going to get another Vigaroux.
Also the back up goalie is basically Sunday league level so we have nobody to replace him with anyway.
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:45 pm He was brought in partly because of his ability with the ball at his feet. He isn’t very good wirh them, so I don’t know who scouted that.
Probly McMahon ☹️
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

BIGRON wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:21 pm
BiggsyMalone wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:45 pm He was brought in partly because of his ability with the ball at his feet. He isn’t very good wirh them, so I don’t know who scouted that.
Probly McMahon ☹️
Well Simon Royce picked out Howes, chances are he had a strong hand in Brynn too
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

It’s open season and the blame game is well and Truely under way.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

I've just seen Derby's second goal on TV and really Sol should be saving that . The host even said that on the commentary .
DrWindy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DrWindy »

He’s pretty much saving the shots I expect him to save and letting in the shots I expect him to.

The difference with Vigs was that he would save shots I didn’t expect him to. For me that’s the sign of a really good keeper.

Brynn isn’t the issue for me, it’s clearly at the other end of the pitch. We have had much worse than Sol, though of course he can certainly improve.
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

Not saying he’s the main issue and we were obviously spoilt in recent years.

But his kicking is not great and he should be saving that one straight under him today.
MassiveForehead
Fresh Alias

Post by MassiveForehead »

Thought we brought him in for his kicking ability mostly, but he doesn't even have this. A problem with modern keepers nowadays - I always said if Aaron Ramsdale couldn't kick a ball he'd be playing league one level. I think we have found that player in Brynn.

Thought Jamie Cumming would have been a better option for us personally, but we have Brynn and he's not the biggest issue we have - but he did spill one badly yday.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

Brynn is a decent keeper IMO

Sure he'll make mistakes, which keeper doesn't?, but he makes some great saves.

After Vigs, it was always going to be hard to find someone that good, but Brynn is decent
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:05 am Brynn is a decent keeper IMO

Sure he'll make mistakes, which keeper doesn't?, but he makes some great saves.

After Vigs, it was always going to be hard to find someone that good, but Brynn is decent
Not much he can do when our fullbacks fail to stop there wide players and the CB’s have to come across and cover and leave the middle open. Plus our CB backs off and backs off to let them shoot🤷‍♀️
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

He’s a perfectly good keeper for this level. Not as good as Vigs but he’s only young and he certainly isn’t the reason why we’re on a bad run atm.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

I think you underestimate the effect a wobbly keeper has on confidence throughout the defence. He's let in a fair few soft goals and doesn't really exude confidence.

As we saw in NL the GK position is not one to put young, raw players in. It needs experience and leadership. Going from a top quality, senior pro to a bang average youth player on loan is a good indicator of what needs to change across the squad more generally.
Chelmsford Swimmer
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Chelmsford Swimmer »

gshaw wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:01 pm I think you underestimate the effect a wobbly keeper has on confidence throughout the defence. He's let in a fair few soft goals and doesn't really exude confidence.

As we saw in NL the GK position is not one to put young, raw players in. It needs experience and leadership. Going from a top quality, senior pro to a bang average youth player on loan is a good indicator of what needs to change across the squad more generally.
Sol Brynn is 23, I would be insulted to be called a youth at that age.
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Daily Express bot »

gshaw wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:01 pm I think you underestimate the effect a wobbly keeper has on confidence throughout the defence. He's let in a fair few soft goals and doesn't really exude confidence.

You are right, we have gone from the likes of a World Class Goalie such as Peter Shilton to these whippersnappers.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Chelmsford Swimmer wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:44 pm

Sol Brynn is 23, I would be insulted to be called a youth at that age.
For a keeper it is, with what one season of pro football in the league below for experience
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Daily Express bot »

Yul Brynner was in an intriguing Pathe Documentary’You Only Live Twice: England Football Squad Visit Pinewood Studios , 1966, Norman Wisdom was in it as well with most of the Team.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt10970344/