why is there so much doom and gloom on this board?

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

bobo66
Fresh Alias

why is there so much doom and gloom on this board?

Post by bobo66 »

I'm staggered by the amount of doom and gloom on this Board before a ball has even been kicked in anger. I seem to recall there were similar feelings expressed before least season began because of the lack of activity in the transfer market.

I accept we have lost Bonne and Koroma, but would think that we have replaced them with 2 strikers. Of course, whether the replacements will be up to much is still to be seen. We have the same defence, which was so tight last season. The midfield does seem to be lacking a bit, but I thought the same last season.

I suppose a lot of it is because we have lost Edinburgh, bit we should at least give Embleton a chance before we talk about a relegation fight.

I think a lot of it comes from being the Orient. It would be great if we could keep hold of the feelings of euphoria at the close of last season at least until 5:00pm on 3rd August.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Re: why is there so much doom and gloom on this board?

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

We have lost the greatest manager we have ever had, and replaced him with an unproven coach. Theres bound to be some trepidation

I actually think however, we will do better than lots on here think. The first 11 looks very good to me, although the squad is lacking depth. If we're lucky with injuries, that first 11 could make the play-offs I think
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:26 am We have lost the greatest manager we have ever had, and replaced him with an unproven coach. Theres bound to be some trepidation

I actually think however, we will do better than lots on here think. The first 11 looks very good to me, although the squad is lacking depth. If we're lucky with injuries, that first 11 could make the play-offs I think
And if we are unlucky with injuries I'm afraid its relegation again.
Howling Mad Murdock
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Howling Mad Murdock »

I'd be happy with mid-table.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Howling Mad Murdock wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:36 am I'd be happy with mid-table.
So you're crossing your fingers and hope that we get just a little bit unlucky with injuries. Good, this Board needs more optomists.
Winchesterfan
Fresh Alias

Post by Winchesterfan »

bobo66 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:20 am I'm staggered by the amount of doom and gloom on this Board before a ball has even been kicked in anger. I seem to recall there were similar feelings expressed before least season began because of the lack of activity in the transfer market.

I accept we have lost Bonne and Koroma, but would think that we have replaced them with 2 strikers. Of course, whether the replacements will be up to much is still to be seen. We have the same defence, which was so tight last season. The midfield does seem to be lacking a bit, but I thought the same last season.

I suppose a lot of it is because we have lost Edinburgh, bit we should at least give Embleton a chance before we talk about a relegation fight.

I think a lot of it comes from being the Orient. It would be great if we could keep hold of the feelings of euphoria at the close of last season at least until 5:00pm on 3rd August.
At last some positivity, thank you. Our club need our full support not seemingly endless moans.
Up the O's
MrB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by MrB »

Doom and gloom? I ain’t even started yet!😁
Winchesterfan
Fresh Alias

Post by Winchesterfan »

MrB wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:50 am Doom and gloom? I ain’t even started yet!😁
When you do go elsewhere!
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

MrB wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:50 am Doom and gloom? I ain’t even started yet!😁
Me neither. Cannot wait to get to that first home game to start the booing.
Bergen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bergen »

Statistically we should be alright. No need for doom and gloom.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=481
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

Thanks bobo for the positivity.

I for one am looking forward to 3rd August.

COYOs
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Does my head in that any comment that doesn't toe the apparent company line of everything is rosy and great is classed as moaning.Its a message board, people have different opinions. Doesn't mean they are right, doesn't mean you are right but finding it increasingly hard to have any sort of meaningful conversation about Orient without being shouted down as wrong or as moaning.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

bobo66 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:20 am I'm staggered by the amount of doom and gloom on this Board before a ball has even been kicked in anger. I seem to recall there were similar feelings expressed before least season began because of the lack of activity in the transfer market.

The loss of JE put an end to that feeling of jubilation and celebration that was oozing through the club, I can't even look at last season highlights now knowing how it ends in tragedy.

That aside when desperately looking for some good news to lighten the mood club then sells its two best attacking assets. Yes both were likely to go and I was expecting it but wasn't expecting us to do nothing more than the absolute bare minimum in bringing in replacements for those released and sold.

Having won the league JE created a real winning vibe that was something I'd never known at Orient. Without him driving the club forward it feels like we're reverting back to "little Leyton Orient" again. From the interim manager appointment which shows a lack of confidence in the new setup to the lack of signings leaving us with not only the weaknesses from last year unaddressed but actually a thinner squad in terms of numbers in and out.

At the end of last season I hoped we could kick on and bounce upwards again. Having seen our business over summer I'd snap your hand off for a comfortable mid-table finish. That's why there's a lack of excitement for the new season imo.
Ralphs Coate
Fresh Alias

Post by Ralphs Coate »

Whingeing Pommies
Red_Army
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Red_Army »

gshaw wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:40 pm

The loss of JE put an end to that feeling of jubilation and celebration that was oozing through the club, I can't even look at last season highlights now knowing how it ends in tragedy.

That aside when desperately looking for some good news to lighten the mood club then sells its two best attacking assets. Yes both were likely to go and I was expecting it but wasn't expecting us to do nothing more than the absolute bare minimum in bringing in replacements for those released and sold.

Having won the league JE created a real winning vibe that was something I'd never known at Orient. Without him driving the club forward it feels like we're reverting back to "little Leyton Orient" again. From the interim manager appointment which shows a lack of confidence in the new setup to the lack of signings leaving us with not only the weaknesses from last year unaddressed but actually a thinner squad in terms of numbers in and out.

At the end of last season I hoped we could kick on and bounce upwards again. Having seen our business over summer I'd snap your hand off for a comfortable mid-table finish. That's why there's a lack of excitement for the new season imo.
Absolute nonsense that we have done the bare minimum to replace Bonne and Koroma. We paid fees for both players, for starters.
JimbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by JimbO »

Apple Wumble wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:35 pm Does my head in that any comment that doesn't toe the apparent company line of everything is rosy and great is classed as moaning.Its a message board, people have different opinions. Doesn't mean they are right, doesn't mean you are right but finding it increasingly hard to have any sort of meaningful conversation about Orient without being shouted down as wrong or as moaning.
Bit confused you ask for debate and then when you get some don't seem to like it.

Yet you say that not everyone's opinion is the same not sure how we're supposed to debate if everyone's opinion is the same.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Red_Army wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:55 pm
gshaw wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:40 pm

Absolute nonsense that we have done the bare minimum to replace Bonne and Koroma. We paid fees for both players, for starters.
Bonne, Koroma, Simpson out
Alabi should be out

Angol, Wilkinson in

Simple fact is we had no-one last season who could come in and challenge / cover the main pairing. We go up a league, sell our assets and still have no-one to challenge the new (unproven) pairing. Some progress :roll:
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

JimbO wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:57 pm
Apple Wumble wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:35 pm Does my head in that any comment that doesn't toe the apparent company line of everything is rosy and great is classed as moaning.Its a message board, people have different opinions. Doesn't mean they are right, doesn't mean you are right but finding it increasingly hard to have any sort of meaningful conversation about Orient without being shouted down as wrong or as moaning.
Bit confused you ask for debate and then when you get some don't seem to like it.

Yet you say that not everyone's opinion is the same not sure how we're supposed to debate if everyone's opinion is the same.
I agree.
bobo66
Fresh Alias

Post by bobo66 »

I certainly wasn't saying that people can't express whatever opinion they want, just that I was staggered by the amount of gloom and doom before a ball has been kicked, after such a great season last time out.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

JimbO wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:57 pm

Debate is on thing. Telling me i'm spouting the same old bollocks, or that if i dont like it then shut up (effectively what i've been told by several on here over the last few days) isn't debate. That's vilifying others views. I'm never, ever antagonistic unless someone starts it first.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

bobo66 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:11 pm
I certainly wasn't saying that people can't express whatever opinion they want, just that I was staggered by the amount of gloom and doom before a ball has been kicked, after such a great season last time out.
Fair.

Personally, it's down to JE. I was so up at the end of last season. A page finally turned. Our luck had changed and we fought our way back into the league. And then our best manager for probably at least my life time, passes away. Aside from all of the obviously bigger impact of that on his family and friends, it just felt like another kick in the teeth for this club and that we will never be able to get back up the leagues without something coming along and hurting us. Almost definitely reading too much into it, but that's how it felt.

In May I was pretty confident we would build on that momentum and we'd be in for an exciting season and a promotion push again. A few months on and i'm disenchanted with some of the decisions being made, if i'm being honest, as much as i back him and want him to do well, I dont think Ross is the man for the job and i'm mentally preparing myself for a difficult season.
Howling Mad Murdock
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Howling Mad Murdock »

Although Ross isn't on his own and has the backing of a great assistant.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Apple Wumble wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:26 pm
bobo66 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:11 pm
Fair.

Personally, it's down to JE. I was so up at the end of last season. A page finally turned. Our luck had changed and we fought our way back into the league. And then our best manager for probably at least my life time, passes away. Aside from all of the obviously bigger impact of that on his family and friends, it just felt like another kick in the teeth for this club and that we will never be able to get back up the leagues without something coming along and hurting us. Almost definitely reading too much into it, but that's how it felt.

In May I was pretty confident we would build on that momentum and we'd be in for an exciting season and a promotion push again. A few months on and i'm disenchanted with some of the decisions being made, if i'm being honest, as much as i back him and want him to do well, I dont think Ross is the man for the job and i'm mentally preparing myself for a difficult season.
Basically this ^

Club feels cursed after what happened to JE after doing what seemed impossible - making Orient winners.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

Doom and Gloom? What utter nonsense

Concerns about our interim head coach are understandable and reasonable.

Concerns about lack of depth in CM and up front is understandable and reasonable.

Concerns about players who failed to perform like Alabi and Gorman is understandable and reasonable.

Concerns whether older players like McAnuff and Harold will give us a full season is understandable and reasonable.

Concerns whether Dayton will give us more than half a season and whether he will ever be back to his best is understandable and reasonable.

Concerns whether forwards replacements will deliver like the leavers is understandable and reasonable.

Don't confuse doom and gloom with understandable and reasonable concerns.

Nor do I think its doom and gloom to anticipate a mid-table finish, something I'm sure most of us would be happy with. That will be genuine progress all things considered and no doubt part of the improvement plan.

All of these things are valid points and I have absolutely no doubt things that have been discussed by Ling and the Board when putting the squad together.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

I will support Ross because i love this club and have done so for 53 years, but If im honest, i dont think Ross is the right man for the job.

When Justin applied for the job with us, he wanted to bring in his own staff, but was told the job was his, but he had to work with Ross. Ross was very much in the background......Justin was his own man, and did things his way.

if the board had confidence in Ross, they would have named him as Head coach, NOT Interim Head coach. that word, Interim says everything to me.

At some time, the board are going to appoint a new Head coach, but will we be in a relegation fight when they do this?

I agree with a lot of what's been said above