Womens team under new ownership?

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Loyal_Supporter
Fresh Alias

Re: Womens team under new ownership?

Post by Loyal_Supporter »

Hoover Attack wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 2:40 pm So what was all that business the other year when we brought the team back in-house because we wanted to sync things up with the whole club (pissing off the existing players and staff at the time)?

Was that not true?
I think we dropped the team we had that the crazy Italian got because they were not an official Orient women's team....they were basically an outside club who were given permission to use our kits, badge etc.

Their squad were never listed on the website nor did they get any real coverage.
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

Loyal_Supporter wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 4:37 pm I think we dropped the team we had that the crazy Italian got because they were not an official Orient women's team....they were basically an outside club who were given permission to use our kits, badge etc.
right, so listen again to what Devlin is saying here
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Sury a women’s team makes sense financially if not only to diversify the fan base?
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

How does a women's team diversify the fan base? If more women watch Leyton Orient Women that's great but it doesn't affect anything else.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Female supporters of the women’s team may be inclined to also support the men’s team the same way men also attend women’s team matches more than say 5 years ago.

Anecdotally I know of three women who got into football via the Women’s national team’s success, then moved on to WSL and now also follow the corresponding male team as well
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Long slender neck wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 4:18 pm I'm not sure womens teams tagging onto mens teams is a good idea, seems kind of sexist to me.
There was a good football weekly podcast on this. There are more in the women's game who thinks it needs to stand on its own two feet as when they are dependent on the men's operation, they aren't given the necessary priority and are very liable to being gutted when things get financially rough. The women's game is growing rapidly and there's enough demand at the top level to be self sufficient.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_City_Lionesses is the interesting case study in this. Split from millwall and now have a lot of American money coming in to support its growth.

I don't really know enough to make a judgement about whether this is a positive or negative decision, intrigued to see how it progresses.
J1MB0B
Fresh Alias

Post by J1MB0B »

Long slender neck wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 5:33 pm
And we think we’ve got goalkeeper issues…