Ling’s reign continues

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Chocolate_brownie
Fresh Alias

Re: Ling’s reign continues

Post by Chocolate_brownie »

Long slender neck wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:21 am And how many of those did you disapprove of at the time Captain Hindsight?
From my perceptive:

Embleton x2 should never have had the job. The second time he was appointed was so amateur it was laughable. I actually feel sorry for the bloke because he was probably an alright coach thrown into a job he didn’t have the capabilities to do.

Fletcher. A bit of an unknown entity. I wasn’t wholly against it but also was massively underwhelmed. The subsequent handling of his sacking was embarrassing.

Jobi. Thought it was a bad appointment at the time. Even more baffling was the short term nature of it. Either hire someone and show some faith in them by giving them a 2 year contract of don’t bother at all. This “let’s see how it goes” nonsense is damaging and borderline insulting to the person in charge (in this case, Jobi). To be perfectly honest I nice bloke like Jobi should stay well clear of managerial roles. He’s a well spoken, insightful guy and (I’ve been told by others) is very attractive. He should be looking forward to a career in the media/tv.

Jackett. Thought it was a great move. Genuinely believe in him and early signs were largely positive. Football is like life. Sometimes sh*t happens and you can’t really understand why. Either way, sh*t did happen and he’s now gone.

New bloke - don’t really care who it is as long as they can keep us up. That’s seriously the only goal for now. The names which have been thrown about the past week on this forum all seem reasonable. Just get someone in, and quickly.
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

Apple Wumble wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:08 am
Long slender neck wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:21 am And how many of those did you disapprove of at the time Captain Hindsight?
It’s interesting you call out people for being negs when they call things before they happened but then also blame people using hindsight. Pick a side.

The general point about Kenny is true though. 99% of fans were happy with the appointment. There’s an argument that sh*t happens and it just didn’t work out. There’s an argument that it not working out points to something strange happening in the background. There’s also an argument that the process has failed again and the people in those interviews, with more footballing knowledge than us made a bad call. I think the last one has some truth judging by Porters comments on Twitter alluding to the fact that Kennys personality, or lack thereof, wasn’t really considered when hiring him.

Either way, we really really can’t afford another f*** up. Currency with the owners is starting to run low. A group of successful business men should be able to right this ship, as long as they review their mistakes and aren’t stuck in their ways.
And yet Jackett's unspecified flaws didn't seem to stop him succeeding pretty much everywhere before he came to us. What's more, the very abrupt collapse in our form from last month points to some kind of relationship breakdown rather than an inherent deficiency in Jackett's personality.
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

Chocolate_brownie wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:14 am
From my perceptive:

Embleton x2 should never have had the job. The second time he was appointed was so amateur it was laughable. I actually feel sorry for the bloke because he was probably an alright coach thrown into a job he didn’t have the capabilities to do.

Fletcher. A bit of an unknown entity. I wasn’t wholly against it but also was massively underwhelmed. The subsequent handling of his sacking was embarrassing.

Jobi. Thought it was a bad appointment at the time. Even more baffling was the short term nature of it. Either hire someone and show some faith in them by giving them a 2 year contract of don’t bother at all. This “let’s see how it goes” nonsense is damaging and borderline insulting to the person in charge (in this case, Jobi). To be perfectly honest I nice bloke like Jobi should stay well clear of managerial roles. He’s a well spoken, insightful guy and (I’ve been told by others) is very attractive. He should be looking forward to a career in the media/tv.

Jackett. Thought it was a great move. Genuinely believe in him and early signs were largely positive. Football is like life. Sometimes sh*t happens and you can’t really understand why. Either way, sh*t did happen and he’s now gone.

New bloke - don’t really care who it is as long as they can keep us up. That’s seriously the only goal for now. The names which have been thrown about the past week on this forum all seem reasonable. Just get someone in, and quickly.
Agree with all of that, save for Jobi's potential - I think he has plenty, and he certainly got the players performing again until Ling told him to tell half of them that they would be leaving.
Chocolate_brownie
Fresh Alias

OyinbO wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:21 am
Chocolate_brownie wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:14 am
From my perceptive:

Agree with all of that, save for Jobi's potential - I think he has plenty, and he certainly got the players performing again until Ling told him to tell half of them that they would be leaving.
I wasn’t saying that Jobi didn’t have potential as an manager. I was saying that if he had any sense (which I get the impression he does) he should build a more stable career elsewhere. Pretty sure he’s a family man so the dress free media gigs are the way forward for him!
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Monkey Boy wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:03 am
BiggsyMalone wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:57 am
OldTownO wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:12 am Very interesting comments from Matt Porter on twitter, where he makes it 100% clear that Kenny chose every single player, the club do the due diligence with regard to cost, availability etc, but KJ has the final say. And Matt is clearly in the Martin Ling corner, so I don’t see Ling going anywhere very soon. I don’t know Matt very well, but he appears a little irritated with the questions being directed at him, fair play for responding, but some compassion wouldn’t go amiss.
That’s just not true from Porter and Martin Ling said so himself. KJ tells the club who he wants and then the club gets him his 5th choices because they can’t/won’t afford it. There’s no way KJ would be asking for kids from non-league when we need experienced players, when admitting to being in a relegation battle. The bloke had a one year rolling contract, why would he be asking for players to develop for the future?
Would agree with this comment, Brown was thought not good enough 4 months ago so why now? Yep this has got Bertie big bananas written all over it by the board, I’ve never believed Jacket was the right fit from day one but as said I don’t think he had much of a choice as far as the last window was concerned? I’m certain that Ling isn’t. The board give it large and some supporters are gullible to believe it,however it’s not there fault as some people are more trusting than others 🙈
I got it wrong with Jackett and I’m sure everyone else who wanted him will admit that too. As soon as he signed, I could see he wasn’t interested from his first interview. That last paragraph is spot on. They play lip service the whole time to be ‘transparent’ and ‘not like the last ownership’. Yeah, the financial side is good and they’ve stablised the club but the footballing side of it is so far off plan.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:10 pm
Long slender neck wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:09 pm
Monkey Boy wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:04 pm Why wasn’t Harold shown the door at the beginning of the season like all the other coaches we got rid of. Because of this very situation. Ling can manipulate Harold like he has with previous managers. Make no mistake about it this club will never be a success while he’s pulling the strings in the back ground 🙈
What a bizarre conspiracy theory.
Of course. Ling has got into some people's heads so much that they think he is so much more powerful than he actually is. Sure most people think of him like Emperor Palpatine.
And going by the amount of replies you post on here about our legend, he no doubt has got into your head too...
Last edited by Chief crazy horse on Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:42 am
That’s just not true from Porter and Martin Ling said so himself. KJ tells the club who he wants and then the club gets him his 5th choices because they can’t/won’t afford it. There’s no way KJ would be asking for kids from non-league when we need experienced players, when admitting to being in a relegation battle. The bloke had a one year rolling contract, why would he be asking for players to develop for the future?
Would agree with this comment, Brown was thought not good enough 4 months ago so why now? Yep this has got Bertie big bananas written all over it by the board, I’ve never believed Jacket was the right fit from day one but as said I don’t think he had much of a choice as far as the last window was concerned? I’m certain that Ling isn’t. The board give it large and some supporters are gullible to believe it,however it’s not there fault as some people are more trusting than others 🙈
I got it wrong with Jackett and I’m sure everyone else who wanted him will admit that too. As soon as he signed, I could see he wasn’t interested from his first interview. That last paragraph is spot on. They play lip service the whole time to be ‘transparent’ and ‘not like the last ownership’. Yeah, the financial side is good and they’ve stablised the club but the footballing side of it is so far off plan.
We’re not stable.

We’re still losing millions of pounds each year. We’re still reliant on finding a new wave of ‘investors’ every couple of years to bail out these losses.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

It's lucky we've got keen owners with deep pockets

Was quite surprised how well attendances kept up yesterday given the dross we have to endure

Hopefully new Danny Macklin can take on some of Ling's responsibilities
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

Long slender neck wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:13 am
Monkey Boy wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:07 am
5🙈
Prove it
Make me🤭🙊
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Gilso blames box ticking virtue signalling

Whatever could he mean?

Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:43 pm Gilso blames box ticking virtue signalling

Whatever could he mean?

Is he talking about R***r or the OTF?
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Id say the people moaning need to ante up & buy the club

Put up or SHUT UP !
lordgriff
Fresh Alias

Post by lordgriff »

OldTownO wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:12 am Very interesting comments from Matt Porter on twitter, where he makes it 100% clear that Kenny chose every single player, the club do the due diligence with regard to cost, availability etc, but KJ has the final say. And Matt is clearly in the Martin Ling corner, so I don’t see Ling going anywhere very soon. I don’t know Matt very well, but he appears a little irritated with the questions being directed at him, fair play for responding, but some compassion wouldn’t go amiss.
Spot on.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

lordgriff wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:23 pm
Spot on.
Prove it !
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:09 pm
BiggsyMalone wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:42 am

We’re not stable.

We’re still losing millions of pounds each year. We’re still reliant on finding a new wave of ‘investors’ every couple of years to bail out these losses.
That’s part of their plan.
Chocolate_brownie
Fresh Alias

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:10 pm
Currywurst and Chips wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:43 pm Gilso blames box ticking virtue signalling

Whatever could he mean?

Virtue signalling? What on Earth is he talking about? Do people honestly listen to that bigots stupid podcast.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Odd comment from Andy Gilson.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Long slender neck wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:17 pm Odd comment from Andy Gilson.
Not odd at all , he believes he is important! His opinion is irrelevant.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

lordgriff wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:23 pm
Spot on.
Kennys comment the other week that the group looks like an U23 squad was a clear dig at what he’d been given to work with.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Yet he had the likes of Thompson, Wood and Reilly but boco'd them.
PoundhillO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by PoundhillO »

Chocolate_brownie wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:11 pm
Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:10 pm

Whatever could he mean?

Virtue signalling? What on Earth is he talking about? Do people honestly listen to that bigots stupid podcast.
Getting rid of Ling.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Long slender neck wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:48 pm Yet he had the likes of Thompson, Wood and Reilly but boco'd them.
Reilly & Thompson were injured surely ?
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

tuffers#1 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:44 pm
Long slender neck wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:48 pm Yet he had the likes of Thompson, Wood and Reilly but boco'd them.
Reilly & Thompson were injured surely ?
Yes and no...

Reilly been injured / unfit for the majority of the season but got left out after his 15 minute cameo in the previous midweek game. When asked by Dave Victor about his absence and whether he was injured KJ said that he was fit and available for selection.

Thompson "not rated by Kenny as a CB" in Ling's words during the podcast the other week. Bit of a moot point really as we've had solid options at CB pretty much all season and it's just about the last area of the squad to be concerned about, along with the keeper.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Gilso probably thinks that because we are setting up an LBQT+ supporters group, it means the owners aren’t focussed on keeping us up.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Apple Wumble wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:08 am
It’s interesting you call out people for being negs when they call things before they happened but then also blame people using hindsight. Pick a side.

The general point about Kenny is true though. 99% of fans were happy with the appointment. There’s an argument that sh*t happens and it just didn’t work out. There’s an argument that it not working out points to something strange happening in the background. There’s also an argument that the process has failed again and the people in those interviews, with more footballing knowledge than us made a bad call. I think the last one has some truth judging by Porters comments on Twitter alluding to the fact that Kennys personality, or lack thereof, wasn’t really considered when hiring him.

Either way, we really really can’t afford another f*** up. Currency with the owners is starting to run low. A group of successful business men should be able to right this ship, as long as they review their mistakes and aren’t stuck in their ways.
I guess my view is its unfair to in hindsight blame the club for managers that were 'failures' (how are we measuring this exactly?) when that appointment either looked good on paper, majority were happy with it, or the club had little other choice at the time(after Beelzebub /after JE death). There have been missteps- The Fletcher Debacle and Jobi, but its nothing like 5/6 or 6/7. Fans also need to recognise these arent all down to Ling, once again people fail to understand the processes of recruitment and that most managers in football fail and are sacked.
Not sure what you mean by "call out people for being negs when they call things before they happened"