Well, That Will Give Her Some Relief!

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Friend or faux
Fresh Alias

Re: Well, That Will Give Her Some Relief!

Post by Friend or faux »

LSN did you bother doing some research about this poor lady, that I highlighted in the original posting? Or is it too much for your brain ( if it exists )? You posting on here are totally off target. Focus, man!
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

Harlow wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:21 pm What a waste of money. And, yes, i do support hanging, modern forensic evidence provides conclusive evidence
No it does not

it might provide evidence that makes people believe today they are guilty. There are innumerable cases of people convicted beyond all reasonable doubt on scientific evidence said to prove their guilt that is later proved to be unreliable.

The Maguire Seven
Barry Bulsara
Stefan Kisko

to name a few

Even the so called DNA evidence is not as infallible as you are lead to believe.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

CEB wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:05 am
Long slender neck wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:48 am Are you saying no case can ever be 100% proven?
Can you provide the meaningful distinction between a case you believe to be 99% proven and 100% proven, and clarify whether you believe the death penalty appropriate for only one?
You're just inventing things now.

Lets come up with an example of something '100% proven' something there's video evidence, forensic evidence of. You'd think the death penalty inappropriate still?
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

Friend or faux wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:13 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-64879662

Wrongly hanged woman set to be exonerated for her alleged crimes.,,,,
Her case has been referred to the Criminal Cases Review commission, it is too early to say she is set to be exonerated
CEB

Post by CEB »

What do you think “I am against the death penalty” means?

But I love the idea that you consider “video evidence” to be a key factor.
oxo
Fresh Alias

Post by oxo »

Had an argument with a colleague about this once, and I thought I'd persuade her with 'innocent people will inevitably end up being executed', and she replied 'as long as 9 out of 10 are guilty, I think that's OK'. Had to just leave it.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

CEB wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:23 am What do you think “I am against the death penalty” means?

It could be, depends on the case doesnt it?

You have to admit that there's plenty of cases that are as provable as anything can be.
Friend or faux
Fresh Alias

Post by Friend or faux »

Spen 69:-Her case has been referred to the Criminal Cases Review commission, it is too early to say she is set to be exonerated

You obviously have not researched this mis-carriage either; or you wouldn't have given such a crass response.
Last edited by Friend or faux on Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CEB

Post by CEB »

Long slender neck wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:26 am
CEB wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:23 am What do you think “I am against the death penalty” means?

It could be, depends on the case doesnt it?

You have to admit that there's plenty of cases that are as provable as anything can be.
You accused me of moving goalposts and yet you’ve gone from “100% proven” to “as provable as anything can be” (while also focusing on the probability and ignoring other factors you’d mentioned earlier such as severity of crime, potential for rehabilitation)

You’ve also not yet mentioned how it’d be workable to introduce tiers of guilt.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Friend or faux wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:28 am Spen 69:-Her case has been referred to the Criminal Cases Review commission, it is too early to say she is set to be exonerated

You obviously have researched this mis-carriage either; or you wouldn't have given such a crass response.
In fairness to spedant, he's just making a factual distinction here. The story is that the case has been referred for review, not that a favourable decision will necessarily be made. I don't see how that's crass.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

So you admit that there's plenty of cases that are as provable as anything can be?

Every case is unique, are there no criminals in British history you'd give your approval to execute?
CEB

Post by CEB »

What’s a ciminal?
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

With the improvements in deep fake tech you couldn't even rely on video evidence, nowadays.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Since nothing can be proven according to ceb, then is it ethical to even lock people up?
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Long slender neck wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:05 pm Since nothing can be proven according to ceb, then is it ethical to even lock people up?
Clearly. Because you can lock someone up because a case has been proven "beyond reasonable doubt" (which isn't 100%), secure in the knowledge that if you've got it wrong, you can open the cell door and make amends.

How many jurors would be less inclined to convict, with even the tiniest bit of doubt, if they knew a guilty verdict would lead to execution? Do you want monsters roaming the streets?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

StillSpike wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:07 pm
Long slender neck wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:05 pm Since nothing can be proven according to ceb, then is it ethical to even lock people up?
Clearly. Because you can lock someone up because a case has been proven "beyond reasonable doubt" (which isn't 100%), secure in the knowledge that if you've got it wrong, you can open the cell door and make amends.

How many jurors would be less inclined to convict, with even the tiniest bit of doubt, if they knew a guilty verdict would lead to execution? Do you want monsters roaming the streets?
You cant give that person the time back though.

Do countries that have the death penalty have a problem with convicting 'monsters'?
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

CEB wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:05 am
Long slender neck wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:48 am Are you saying no case can ever be 100% proven?
Can you provide the meaningful distinction between a case you believe to be 99% proven and 100% proven, and clarify whether you believe the death penalty appropriate for only one?
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/re ... -doubt.asp

In a criminal case, it is the job of the prosecution to convince the jury that the defendant is guilty of the crime with which he has been charged and, therefore, should be convicted.  The phrase "beyond a reasonable doubt"

⚫⚪⚫⚪⚫⚪⚫⚪

99% isnt really Guilty is it
CEB

Post by CEB »

Long slender neck wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:16 pm
StillSpike wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:07 pm

You cant give that person the time back though.

Do countries that have the death penalty have a problem with convicting 'monsters'?
“You can’t give that person the time back”

…therefore, kill them?
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Me, stuck in a Post Office queue: "well, guess I'll never get this time back, may as well end it all".
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

Friend or faux wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:28 am Spen 69:-Her case has been referred to the Criminal Cases Review commission, it is too early to say she is set to be exonerated

You obviously have researched this mis-carriage either; or you wouldn't have given such a crass response.
What is crass about stating a perfectly correct factual point.

The case has been referred to the Criminal Cases Review Commission.

They have to investigate the matter, then decide whether they believe there was a miscarriage of justice, THEN the Court of Appeal have to make a decision.

As I said it is too early to say she is set to be exonerated.

I am not saying anything about the outcome of the CCRC investigation, or if it goes that far, and application to the Court of Appeal

Looking at the CCRC's own figures, since it was set up in 1997, it has had 29,569 cases referred to it of those 809 were referred after investigation to the Court of Appeal and 548 of those appeals resulted in the convictions being overturned - 219 cases had convictions upheld. Some referrals still await determination by the Court of Appeal

So out of 29,569 cases referred to the CCRC, only 548 have resulted in convictions being overturned. That is around 1.8% of cases referred to the CCRC resulting in convictions being overturned.

I think the statistics say it is too early to say her conviction is set to be overturned.

https://ccrc.gov.uk/facts-figures/
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

CEB- Nope.

So are you in favour of imprisoning the potentially innocent?
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Proposition Joe wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:37 pm Me, stuck in a Post Office queue: "well, guess I'll never get this time back, may as well end it all".
Are there revolving doors ?You might enjoy that .
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Can't recall seeing a Post Office with revolving doors but yes, that would be fun.
CEB

Post by CEB »

Long slender neck wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:39 pm CEB- Nope.

So are you in favour of imprisoning the potentially innocent?
Yes.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by tuffers#1 »

Proposition Joe wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:53 pm Can't recall seeing a Post Office with revolving doors but yes, that would be fun.
Obviously before your time :mrgreen: