Nigel Travis interview

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

CEB

Re: Nigel Travis interview

Post by CEB »

Why can’t you use quote correctly?
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

You can get Deeneys toasties in the cafe at the William Morris Gallery too so, if we're talking about them for argument's sake, it's clearly not impossible to work in conjunction for a business like that. But appreciate 'not impossible' might need an asterisk related to pre-existing licensing agreements etc.
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Max Fowler wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:46 pm
LittleMate wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:39 pm
I agree with the "cool Leyton" thing. Nigel said they were meeting the council and hopefully the club can impress upon them what we bring to the table in making the High Road a more viable entity. The food and drink outlets would not be here in such numbers if it were not for the clubs support. I doubt it will influence the councillors enough to invest - but we should at the very least be making the point.
Agreed they should be making that point to the councillors to get them to give our Investors some money.

Just don't mention in that meeting that they're going to try and stop us spending our money on the high street.
Any move would almost certainly be tied into a housing project in the Leyton area, ala Brentford and Wimbledon. The arm twisting will be to act as a broker for that sort of partnership with a developer and weaken or adjust some of the 'asks' they'd normally make of a large scale new housing project.

I doubt they'll be asking for direct financial contributions or loans, Council's are becoming very risk adverse after recent bankruptcies and scandals like what happened with Northampton (who's council would up 10.25m out of pocket then went bust).
CEB

Post by CEB »

Proposition Joe wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:17 pm You can get Deeneys toasties in the cafe at the William Morris Gallery too so, if we're talking about them for argument's sake, it's clearly not impossible to work in conjunction for a business like that. But appreciate 'not impossible' might need an asterisk related to pre-existing licensing agreements etc.

There goes my weight loss regime. THANKS
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

Mistadobalina wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:21 pm
Max Fowler wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:46 pm
LittleMate wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:39 pm
I agree with the "cool Leyton" thing. Nigel said they were meeting the council and hopefully the club can impress upon them what we bring to the table in making the High Road a more viable entity. The food and drink outlets would not be here in such numbers if it were not for the clubs support. I doubt it will influence the councillors enough to invest - but we should at the very least be making the point.
Agreed they should be making that point to the councillors to get them to give our Investors some money.

Just don't mention in that meeting that they're going to try and stop us spending our money on the high street.
Any move would almost certainly be tied into a housing project in the Leyton area, ala Brentford and Wimbledon. The arm twisting will be to act as a broker for that sort of partnership with a developer and weaken or adjust some of the 'asks' they'd normally make of a large scale new housing project.

I doubt they'll be asking for direct financial contributions or loans, Council's are becoming very risk adverse after recent bankruptcies and scandals like what happened with Northampton (who's council would up 10.25m out of pocket then went bust).
Very astute Bob. Although a few football clubs (eg West Ham, Wrexham, Manchester City) have got direct support from the public purse recently for stadium upgrades/moves - and once that precedent is set, that raises all kinds of issues around fair competition.

Spurs is actually probably the best recent example - they only moved a few yards, but expanded their capacity massively. They threatened to leave the area (and the borough) a couple of times, and ended up getting some significant help from the council (and indirectly from the Mayor's office too) to stay. And it has really taken the High Road there up a notch or three.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

CEB wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:32 pm
Proposition Joe wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:17 pm You can get Deeneys toasties in the cafe at the William Morris Gallery too so, if we're talking about them for argument's sake, it's clearly not impossible to work in conjunction for a business like that. But appreciate 'not impossible' might need an asterisk related to pre-existing licensing agreements etc.

Fear not, you can mitigate the risk by simply staying away from Orient and going to Spurs instead.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Mistadobalina wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:21 pm I doubt they'll be asking for direct financial contributions or loans, Council's are becoming very risk adverse after recent bankruptcies and scandals like what happened with Northampton (who's council would up 10.25m out of pocket then went bust).
In the interview, I'm pretty sure it was stated that Wrexham received £17m from the council.

We will definitely be asking for some lovely free cash to help with the stadium.
CEB

Post by CEB »

Dunners wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:44 pm

Fear not, you can mitigate the risk by simply staying away from Orient and going to Spurs instead.

I mean the William Morris gallery. That’s close enough that I could pop there in five minutes.

But you’re right. The spurs food offering is bloody awful
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

Max Fowler wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:46 pm
Mistadobalina wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:21 pm I doubt they'll be asking for direct financial contributions or loans, Council's are becoming very risk adverse after recent bankruptcies and scandals like what happened with Northampton (who's council would up 10.25m out of pocket then went bust).
In the interview, I'm pretty sure it was stated that Wrexham received £17m from the council.

We will definitely be asking for some lovely free cash to help with the stadium.
NT mentioned it in the interview did he? Jolly good.

MrD was talking about this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-n ... e-56269715
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

CEB wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:47 pm

I mean the William Morris gallery. That’s close enough that I could pop there in five minutes.

weren't they getting plaudits for their beer?
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Over the Pond local and state governments love chucking money at sports teams for new stadia - I think the NY state govt ended up being on the hook for something insane like a $1b for the Buffalo Bills new stadium. Imagine our American partners are just sick that that same kind of thing isn't so prevalent here.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

OyinbO wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:48 pm

Do they have Beavertown or have I imagined that? Sure there is or was some kind of tie in, or at least Beavertown took over a pub on the High St near to the ground.
CEB

Post by CEB »

OyinbO wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:48 pm

They’ve got a deal with Beavertown so if you like their beer there are a few decent options on tap along with the usual fare, but it’s by no means anything special. Especially because the much hyped “glasses that fill from the bottom” makes no difference to the queues because of inadequate staffing levels, poorly trained staff and a baffling failure to predict that it’s likely that people will want to buy beers at half time, so maybe start pouring some before half time starts.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

CEB wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:15 pm Why can’t you use quote correctly?
I can I have no idea why it's done that.
CEB

Post by CEB »

For some reason I thought I was replying to red dwarf there, and I’ve lost any patience with him. Wouldn’t have pulled you up quite so pedantically there if I’d looked more carefully, apologies
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

No Problem CEB.
essexfootball
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by essexfootball »

The other one I picked up on was the "streaming" the games in the UK is stealing from the club, it's an utterly stupid incorrect statement as you can't legally stream them in the UK, so who exactly are you stealing from there?
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Top of the JES wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:06 pm No Problem CEB.

He's just called you reddwarf and you've let him get away with it?
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Welsh government, not local. Obviously we'd be bidding for any national funding pots going and you'd want the council on board for that so they can chuck their hat in for getting enabling funding from stuff like the levelling up fund, but it's extremely unlikely imo they'd be making a direct financial contribution.

If we did put an planning application in with a developer, you can bet we'd be asking for a reduction in the amount of affordable housing on site due to viability, which would be interesting to see the reaction from fans towards.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Mistadobalina wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:12 pm

Welsh government, not local. Obviously we'd be bidding for any national funding pots going and you'd want the council on board for that so they can chuck their hat in for getting enabling funding from stuff like the levelling up fund, but it's extremely unlikely imo they'd be making a direct financial contribution.

If we did put an planning application in with a developer, you can bet we'd be asking for a reduction in the amount of affordable housing on site due to viability, which would be interesting to see the reaction from fans towards.
Will we get any help from the Landlord?
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

essexfootball wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:08 pm The other one I picked up on was the "streaming" the games in the UK is stealing from the club, it's an utterly stupid incorrect statement as you can't legally stream them in the UK, so who exactly are you stealing from there?
If you're paying for the stream and "watching from America" - either really, or via a VPN, then you're giving money to the club (money that it wouldn't get if you didn't stream - because you weren't abroad either actually or virtually.

However, if you paid for the stream and watched via a VPN instead of going to the game and buying a ticket - then you are reducing the club's income for the match (unless you had a season ticket already, in which case, you've actually helped - see above)

If you stream the game illegally through a dodgy stick or android service that has nicked the stream out of the ether and passed it on to you, then you are - presuming the club would/could have got your money otherwise (by buying a proper stream or a ticket) - essentially stealing from the Club.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

StillSpike wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:27 pm
essexfootball wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:08 pm The other one I picked up on was the "streaming" the games in the UK is stealing from the club, it's an utterly stupid incorrect statement as you can't legally stream them in the UK, so who exactly are you stealing from there?
If you're paying for the stream and "watching from America" - either really, or via a VPN, then you're giving money to the club (money that it wouldn't get if you didn't stream - because you weren't abroad either actually or virtually.

However, if you paid for the stream and watched via a VPN instead of going to the game and buying a ticket - then you are reducing the club's income for the match (unless you had a season ticket already, in which case, you've actually helped - see above)

If you stream the game illegally through a dodgy stick or android service that has nicked the stream out of the ether and passed it on to you, then you are - presuming the club would/could have got your money otherwise (by buying a proper stream or a ticket) - essentially stealing from the Club.
Essex football makes a really good point - we cannot legally stream (most) games in the UK.

If you are in the UK and unable to attend the game, you cannot pay to stream it.

Therefore, anyone in the UK who is watching through IPTV or whatever, is not stealing from the club. It is only those outside the UK who can buy the stream and don't that are stealing.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

:lol: Hang on - just going to look up "performatively obtuse"
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

Max Fowler wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:36 pm
StillSpike wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:27 pm

Essex football makes a really good point - we cannot legally stream (most) games in the UK.

If you are in the UK and unable to attend the game, you cannot pay to stream it.

Therefore, anyone in the UK who is watching through IPTV or whatever, is not stealing from the club. It is only those outside the UK who can buy the stream and don't that are stealing.
You can when the Prem and Championship are not playing, and I believe in the week
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Which is why I said we cannot legally stream (most) games in the UK.