UK unemployment falls to lowest level since 1975

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: UK unemployment falls to lowest level since 1975

Post by Thor »

RedO wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:15 am
Thor wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:03 pm
RedO wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:16 pm

But if we do that, make these corporations pay their way, won’t they just up and leave?
I personally don’t think so. They said that would happen when the minimum wage was brought in and again when it was raised. Didn’t see too many leaving then, likewise now. If the government says £26k is the minimum pay for example then that’s what each person should be paid as a minimum, now that may impact on further hiring in the short term, but as business re-adjusts so will the market it operates in.

To counter the increased costs associated to the businesses the government needs to enhance the infrastructure and markets so that the companies can thrive. With increased wages come increased tax take against people, maybe a slight offset against other business costs may help to normalise the increases incurred.
Strange, thought you were one of those spouting that guff about capital fleeing the UK if corporations had to pay their way properly.
Not me, my comment was on the wholesale renationalisation program labour proposed. I said inward investment would stop as the government could just nationalise that or any industry.
Fanny
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Fanny »

Still's Carenae wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:45 am
Huxley wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:43 pm As silly as it sounds, this article doesn’t provide a definition of what “employed” or “unemployed” actually is.

It’s an important distinction. “Employed” in 1975 might not necessarily be the same thing as “employed” in 2019. Therefore you might not be comparing apples with apples.

For example, somebody on a zero hours contract with no employee benefits (indeed, no guarantee of actually receiving paid work on a day to day basis) may well be considered “employed”.

Furthermore, I’d argue that the proportion of unemployed people lowering isn’t in and of itself necessarily a positive thing. It is equally important to consider aspects such as workers rights and employee benefits (paid holiday, sick leave, maternity leave, bonus scheme etc.) which are a bit more difficult to assess quantitively.

In layman’s terms, more people being “employed” isn’t automatically a good thing if they are “employed” under sh*tty conditions, no employee safety or benefits and minimal job security. We can’t really assess any of those in the data presented in the article.
I have no idea what holiday pay and sick leave are. I will be unemployed over 2 weeks over Christmas, without receiving any benefit.

As for job security, I have none.

This is self employment in a nutshell.
Sure, but you made the decision to become self employed.

Plus, being self-employed you get to keep all the profits of your labour (minus taxes and job costs, of course). That’s a benefit that who are not self employed do not enjoy.

There and pros and cons to self-employment. That isn’t really the point I was making.

Out of interest, have you been self-employed your entire career or has there been a period where you was an employee of somebody?
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Huxley wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:57 am
Possibly not. Lot's of people have been forced into self-employment, quasi or otherwise, just to get by.
Fanny
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Fanny »

RedO wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:50 pm
Possibly not. Lot's of people have been forced into self-employment, quasi or otherwise, just to get by.
The quasi semi-employment thing (e.g. Deliveroo, Hermes, Uber) etc is a large part of what I was talking about in my original post.

People working these quasi self-employed jobs are probably considered “employed” in the survey mentioned whereas they didn’t even exist in 1975.

Having more people employed is good, but not if the majority of the new jobs are quasi self-employed gigs which offer no protection, rights, benefits or sustainable income for those in the roles.
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

You only have to work one hour to be considered employed hence the lack of value in this now. You also have to consider the requirement of 2 working parents now, rather than 1 in 1975 so you're not comparing apples with apples.
Still's Carenae
Fresh Alias

Post by Still's Carenae »

Huxley wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:43 pm As silly as it sounds, this article doesn’t provide a definition of what “employed” or “unemployed” actually is.

It’s an important distinction. “Employed” in 1975 might not necessarily be the same thing as “employed” in 2019. Therefore you might not be comparing apples with apples.

For example, somebody on a zero hours contract with no employee benefits (indeed, no guarantee of actually receiving paid work on a day to day basis) may well be considered “employed”.

Furthermore, I’d argue that the proportion of unemployed people lowering isn’t in and of itself necessarily a positive thing. It is equally important to consider aspects such as workers rights and employee benefits (paid holiday, sick leave, maternity leave, bonus scheme etc.) which are a bit more difficult to assess quantitively.

In layman’s terms, more people being “employed” isn’t automatically a good thing if they are “employed” under sh*tty conditions, no employee safety or benefits and minimal job security. We can’t really assess any of those in the data presented in the article.
I have no idea what holiday pay and sick leave are. I will be unemployed over 2 weeks over Christmas, without receiving any benefit.

Plus, being self-employed you get to keep all the profits of your labour (minus taxes and job costs, of course). That’s a benefit that who are not self employed do not enjoy.

There and pros and cons to self-employment. That isn’t really the point I was making.

Out of interest, have you been self-employed your entire career or has there been a period where you was an employee of somebody?
About 99%+ of my profession work on a self employed basis. We do not have a choice.

Working for an employer is much more secure, you know exactly what you are earning month in month out.

If I had continued in my previous career,. Most likely I would have been earning more, have a good pension and working many less hours. The only real benefits are being your own boss and flexibility and that I enjoy my work.

You seem to be under the impression that people who are self employed earn lots of money, this is definitely not the case. Many of the people who are self employed are not by choice.
Fanny
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Fanny »

Still's Carenae wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:10 am

About 99%+ of my profession work on a self employed basis. We do not have a choice.

Working for an employer is much more secure, you know exactly what you are earning month in month out.

If I had continued in my previous career,. Most likely I would have been earning more, have a good pension and working many less hours. The only real benefits are being your own boss and flexibility and that I enjoy my work.

You seem to be under the impression that people who are self employed earn lots of money, this is definitely not the case. Many of the people who are self employed are not by choice.
I understand and appreciate everything you say about self-employment but it isn't really pertinent to the original point I was making about the definition of unemployment.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Still's Carenae wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:10 am

It's not really any more secure though, is it. Your company could go under at any point, or you could be given your marching orders.

What do you do out of interest?