Most important game ever

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Most important game ever

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

This is how I see it. Sure other games have been important but largely down to what division we play in the league. This game puts us back in the league. I’d say that trumps other situations by some margin.

I’ve avoided all the stuff that assumes we are already there. We are not. We have a good record for screwing things up. But I hope with a passion we get it right tomorrow.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: Most important game ever

Post by Sid Bishop »

Yes agree, not there yet and will be great if we can get over the line !
point nine one eight
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by point nine one eight »

Sid Bishop wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:09 pm Yes agree, not there yet and will be great if we can get over the line !
We're almost there Sid, just an inch short, we will get over the line by at least a yard, I think we will attack non stop to kill them off early
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

Yes agreed 100%, this is our most important game and i think we will score early and i can`t honestly see Braintree giving us too much trouble as long as our players attitude is right, which i`m sure it will be.
A Hartlepool goal along the way would also be most welcome !!!!
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

It was one of, if not, the most important season imo. And it still stands. If we are still in NL next year, a lot changes, players leave, the academy goes, attendances go down.

They knew that pressure too and its a credit to all involved that we need a single point to make it a success. Huge, huge game. Here's hoping we put them out of sight within half an hour.
bobo66
Fresh Alias

Post by bobo66 »

Certainly the most important game in a generation. This is mainly because of what we've been through and where we are now. However, at the time, I think the FA Cup semi-final against Arsenal (1978, I think or was it 1977) was pretty important. What a disappointment that game turned out to be and it wasn't at Brisbane Road. Let's hope tomorrow does not turn out to be even more disappointing.
RientO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by RientO »

Fa Cup Semi Final 1978 was probably biggest, but for reasons stated by Apple Wumble probably most important. There were no consequences as a result of losing in 1978.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

RientO wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:48 pm Fa Cup Semi Final 1978 was probably biggest, but for reasons stated by Apple Wumble probably most important. There were no consequences as a result of losing in 1978.
That Semi Final final was a real let down, not only because we went out, but in the manner of the way it happened. Two goals diverted into the goal by our own players and the third that Jackson would have dealt with normally without a problem. Also the team never reached the height of the performances of previous rounds. To quote an old saying ''We failed to turn up on the day'' !
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

How much ticker tape was there at the semi final, out of interest?
RientO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by RientO »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:16 pm How much ticker tape was there at the semi final, out of interest?
None. It was before 1978 World Cup. No one knew about ticker tape back then and you would have had to been Fatima Whitbread to have chucked a bog roll anywhere near the pitch at Stamford Bridge. At best you might have hit one of the disabled cars.
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

RientO wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:51 pm
CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:16 pm How much ticker tape was there at the semi final, out of interest?
None. It was before 1978 World Cup. No one knew about ticker tape back then and you would have had to been Fatima Whitbread to have chucked a bog roll anywhere near the pitch at Stamford Bridge. At best you might have hit one of the disabled cars.
:lol:
RientO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by RientO »

CreamofSumYungGai wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:52 pm
RientO wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:51 pm
:lol:

CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

What the heck are the cars all about?
Wally Banter
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Wally Banter »

And how did they get disabled?
RientO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by RientO »

Wally Banter wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:13 pm And how did they get disabled?
Ever driven a Morris Marina?
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

Is this game any more important than the Villa match in 1974? A win in that would have put us in the first division

A win at Wembley in 2014 would have put us in the championship

The Oxford game in 2006, put us in league 1 etc etc

This game rates as one of the most important, alongside those above, but cant pick it out as more important

They are all important at the time
RientO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by RientO »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:07 pm Is this game any more important than the Villa match in 1974? A win in that would have put us in the first division

This game rates as one of the most important, alongside those above, but cant pick it out as more important

I believe tomorrow's game is more important for the future of the club. There were no real consequences of losing any of the above, but should Orient fail to get out of the National League, the academy would have to cease and offers for young players would have to be considered. Both of which would have an impact on competing for promotion in the future.

https://www.leytonorient.com/news/2019/ ... statement/
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

RientO wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:29 pm
ComeOnYouOs wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:07 pm Is this game any more important than the Villa match in 1974? A win in that would have put us in the first division

I believe tomorrow's game is more important for the future of the club. There were no real consequences of losing any of the above, but should Orient fail to get out of the National League, the academy would have to cease and offers for young players would have to be considered. Both of which would have an impact on competing for promotion in the future.

https://www.leytonorient.com/news/2019/ ... statement/
Fair points
Oforever
Fresh Alias

Post by Oforever »

Most important game in my time was the one v villa when a win would put us in top division in England. Tomorrow important but not in same league
RientO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by RientO »

Oforever wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:04 pm Tomorrow important but not in same league
Well not in same league yet!
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

I feel you can only judge the importance of a game without using hindsight. Easy to say if we had won promotion in 19xx then we may not even be in the NL today. Maybe in 10 years time tomorrow’s outcome won’t matter.

Judge by the outcome of failure. Tomorrow the outcome could have dire consequences as others have pointed out. Another year in the NL, possibility of more, crowds, player quality etc. Etc.

Tomorrow is massive.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

dOh Nut wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:58 pm I feel you can only judge the importance of a game without using hindsight. Easy to say if we had won promotion in 19xx then we may not even be in the NL today. Maybe in 10 years time tomorrow’s outcome won’t matter.

Judge by the outcome of failure. Tomorrow the outcome could have dire consequences as others have pointed out. Another year in the NL, possibility of more, crowds, player quality etc. Etc.

Tomorrow is massive.
Are you casting doubts on the impending triumph Prez?
Highwood Man
Fresh Alias

Post by Highwood Man »

dOh Nut wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:58 am This is how I see it. Sure other games have been important but largely down to what division we play in the league. This game puts us back in the league. I’d say that trumps other situations by some margin.

I’ve avoided all the stuff that assumes we are already there. We are not. We have a good record for screwing things up. But I hope with a passion we get it right tomorrow.
Totally this.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Absolutely critical game for our future. Back to where we belong vs. years in the tinpot non-league wilderness. As above academy, TV money and so on all hinge on returning to league football.
Allways Westside
Fresh Alias

Post by Allways Westside »

Put this up with Bury 1961/62 going up to the old Div one, this is a hard legue to get out of quicker the better,yes other big games,oxford utd,wrexham play off win and all the play offs but this is big gettibg back into league,players have coped well since Bromley game just need to keep calm at the back.