Attention Brexiteers (Only) - Did you want a No-Deal-Brexit

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Re: Attention Brexiteers (Only) - Did you want a No-Deal-Brexit

Post by StillSpike »

Still's Carenae wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:43 pm Wto gatt 24. We are almost certain to get this, if we cannot agree a new European treaty.
So how - within the confines I've requested (binary No Deal / Another Brexit then / now) - how do you want me to record your preference (unless you were a Remainer in 2016, in which case please see the 3rd paragraph in the opening post)

I'm going to guess you mean No Deal in 2016, and No Deal now - but I don't wish to misrepresent you.

For clarity, everyone, the possible answers to this thread are as follows:

No Deal Brexit 2016 & No Deal Brexit now
Another Brexit 2016 & No Deal Brexitl now
No Deal Brexit 2016 & Another Brexit now
Another Brexit 2016 & Another Brexitl now
or
Remain in 2016 (in which case don't bother because I'm not trying to re-run the Referendum - I'm trying to get into how popular among leave voters a no-deal brexit is and was)
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Jeremiah Corbyn has asked me to let you know he was another Brexit then and same now. HTH.
point nine one eight
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by point nine one eight »

Voted leave in 2016 and knew and wanted no deal at the time and still do
DonaldRocks
Fresh Alias

Post by DonaldRocks »

Quick question for the Brexiteers.

What is a No Deal Brexit? Secondly, Was a no deal Brexit on the original referendum or was it even raised as an issue?

I think some of the present cabinet including that knob Rabb are rewriting history.
Orient_Man_And_Boy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Orient_Man_And_Boy »

Well, RR, ‘No Deal’ is simply a state of affairs where GB doesn’t sign a deal with the EU, because to do so would continue to lock OUR trading positions, rights and judiciary into a framework dictated (correct word) by un-elected bureaucrats in the EU.

Also, since I’ve been asked during this thread “leave at any cost” means what it says on the tin. Out, out, out and in case you’re not following my response ... OUT. If I’d been in charge =
Day 1 Ballot
Day 2 Results
Day 3 Article 50
Day 4 GONE !!

Also, it has been stated, rather boringly, ‘ah, no deal was not on the ballot paper.’ Putting it rather bluntly I don’t give a damn whether it was or not. Neither was ‘agree to prolonged membership under increasingly punitive, non-negotiable terms’ but some would seem to prefer that. Can’t think why.
DonaldRocks
Fresh Alias

Post by DonaldRocks »

Orient_Man_And_Boy wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:06 pm Well, RR, ‘No Deal’ is simply a state of affairs where GB doesn’t sign a deal with the EU, because to do so would continue to lock OUR trading positions, rights and judiciary into a framework dictated (correct word) by un-elected bureaucrats in the EU.

Also, since I’ve been asked during this thread “leave at any cost” means what it says on the tin. Out, out, out and in case you’re not following my response ... OUT. If I’d been in charge =
Day 1 Ballot
Day 2 Results
Day 3 Article 50
Day 4 GONE !!

Also, it has been stated, rather boringly, ‘ah, no deal was not on the ballot paper.’ Putting it rather bluntly I don’t give a damn whether it was or not. Neither was ‘agree to prolonged membership under increasingly punitive, non-negotiable terms’ but some would seem to prefer that. Can’t think why.
I'd say, all the best, goodluck with that plan. Will tap in with you again to see how it's working out.
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

I know absolutely Ziltch about politics and never voted in the Brexit poll , can someone explain in simple terms what Brexit is all about and what will happen if and when it goes through 🤔🤔
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

RoryRocks wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:32 pm Quick question for the Brexiteers.

What is a No Deal Brexit? Secondly, Was a no deal Brexit on the original referendum or was it even raised as an issue?

I think some of the present cabinet including that knob Rabb are rewriting history.
As a leaver, I can of course confirm that No Deal was not on the agenda back then. We were told how easy it was going to be to negotiate a deal.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

What is the point of this thread? So we can all have another argument? So we can belittle each other and feel superior?
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Not at all - we keep hearing statements like "we voted for no deal - get it done" as well as "no deal wasn't on the ballot". I'd like to get an idea as to which end of the spectrum our leavers itentify with.

You'll see that I've not asked for any explanation, and I'd prefer if arguments about it took place elsewhere - I've stated that I'd prefer it if remainers didn't respond, because I'm not trying to re-run the vote - just trying an unscientific survey as to who wanted what at the time, and what they want now (if, indeed that's changed - and from the answers so far, it doesn't look like it has for many people)
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

How we left did not really occur to me, or did not seem important at the time.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

So would it be fair to put you down as "Another Brexit then and Another Brexit now"? or "Another Brexit then and No deal Brexit now"? or what ? or nothing, if you don't think any of the options applies to you?
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Ok I lied. I didn’t vote leave because I couldn’t align myself with their bumhole cheerleaders, I had to spoil my ballot paper.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Thanks for owning up.
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

I notice that ''Attention Brexiteers (Only)'' soon went out of the window.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Quite!
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Most leavers I know were not thinking about deal/no deal when they voted. They just wanted out. And I've seen little convincing evidence that had no deal been on the ballot the outcome would have been any different. People are not changing their minds- they're becoming more entrenched instead.

What has changed, interestingly, are the reasons people give for voting to leave. In 2016 every bit of research showed immigration was be far the single biggest reason for voting leave. Yet now it hardly gets a mention. Instead leavers are determined to die in a ditch over this issue so that we are "free to negotiate trade deals" and so the "EU just cannot tell us what to do anymore."

I admit I find it amusing that they seem to think that any of this will make f*** all difference to their insignificant lives and existence. But hey ho, give them what they want.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Insignificant lives? Was that meant to sound so hateful towards the working class?
PAM
Fresh Alias

Post by PAM »

I find it amusing that the much loathed by leavers Gina Miller is the person they actually need to be thanking for making No Deal possible and likely
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Sid Bishop wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:37 pm I notice that ''Attention Brexiteers (Only)'' soon went out of the window.
If the Brexiteers were being honest, maybe they wouldn’t.
bobo66
Fresh Alias

Post by bobo66 »

I can't see the point of a trade deal with the EU. If we signed a deal we would have to abide by all the various EU regulations, but not have say on what they were.

We should have gone for no deal straight away and spent more time agreeing trade with other countries and not wasted all the time with trying to get a deal with the EU. If we had we wouldn't be in the mess we are now.
EH16
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by EH16 »

OK, I know I'm a remainer (voted yes in 75, voted remain in 16, would still vote remain now) but I have to butt in here and ask for some honesty because the truth is that most leavers didn't give any thought at all to any deal/no deal scenario. They voted leave because they don't like immigrants.
Orient_Man_And_Boy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Orient_Man_And_Boy »

EH16, I object most strongly to being considered a racist and will welcome your apology.

I voted Leave as an act of national self-determination. That does not in any way, shape or form automatically imply being anti anything except the unwelcome intervention of unelected bureaucrats in Europe.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Orient_Man_And_Boy wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:51 am EH16, I object most strongly to being considered a racist and will welcome your apology.

I voted Leave as an act of national self-determination. That does not in any way, shape or form automatically imply being anti anything except the unwelcome intervention of unelected bureaucrats in Europe.
Not anti-immigrant, just don’t want them over here
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

EH16 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:04 am OK, I know I'm a remainer (voted yes in 75, voted remain in 16, would still vote remain now) but I have to butt in here and ask for some honesty because the truth is that most leavers didn't give any thought at all to any deal/no deal scenario. They voted leave because they don't like immigrants.
So you’re saying that just over half the country is racist. If that’s true then the country is already lost. Incidentally, I voted leave ,I didn’t vote for any deal.