League one preview remark about LOFC

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

ContrifibulatoryFred
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

League one preview remark about LOFC

Post by ContrifibulatoryFred »

Read a team by team preview of league one next season - in which the writer stated that it is a tough division this season. In that review they place the Os 17th on account of showing a ‘distinct lack of ambition’ in its transfer dealings.

Not surprisingly Birmingham are hoped to win the league with Bolton and Charlton promoted.

Would be surprised if Charlton are in the mix this season but the assessment on the Os (At present) seems a fair one.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: League one preview remark about LOFC

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

All these predictions are usually way off. Always teams that do well that no one expects to do well (doubt anyone had Oxford being promoted last season) and teams that are rated failing miserably (see Charlton).

I just hope we play exciting football, take a few scalps, arent in a relegation battle and have something to play for still in April.
redintheface
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by redintheface »

ContrifibulatoryFred wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 7:02 am Read a team by team preview of league one next season - in which the writer stated that it is a tough division this season. In that review they place the Os 17th on account of showing a ‘distinct lack of ambition’ in its transfer dealings.

the assessment on the Os (At present) seems a fair one.
Follow on from last season really when Travis set out the extent of the club’s was ambition to “ consolidate”. With the existing budgetary constraints there’s little more that can be done at present so 17th seems a reasonable prediction - without a ball having been kicked yet of course!
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

redintheface wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 7:36 am
ContrifibulatoryFred wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 7:02 am Read a team by team preview of league one next season - in which the writer stated that it is a tough division this season. In that review they place the Os 17th on account of showing a ‘distinct lack of ambition’ in its transfer dealings.

Follow on from last season really when Travis set out the extent of the club’s was ambition to “ consolidate”. With the existing budgetary constraints there’s little more that can be done at present so 17th seems a reasonable prediction - without a ball having been kicked yet of course!
Was that before or after he said we were going to give promotion “a go” by having footballs and hotels
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

I think the ownership have misstepped a bit by not being a bit more upfront about our limitations. We are at a crossroads where they are seeking new investment, looking at plans for how to move the club up a level in terms of income and trying to reduce significant losses. I understand why they'd wanna keep riding the wave of season on season improvement but a bit more realism in their messaging would have been a smart move.

That said, we have a brilliant manager and a largely young squad that should continue to improve under him. If this Everton kid is as good as we hope, if the likes of O'Neil, Galbraith, Brown and Agyei continue their development, then we might punch above our weight again. The quality of the last couple of signings we need will be key. If we fluff that, things might look a little grim as we enter into winter
redintheface
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by redintheface »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 8:19 am
redintheface wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 7:36 am

Was that before or after he said we were going to give promotion “a go” by having footballs and hotels
Eh?🫤
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 7:29 am All these predictions are usually way off. Always teams that do well that no one expects to do well (doubt anyone had Oxford being promoted last season) and teams that are rated failing miserably (see Charlton).

I just hope we play exciting football, take a few scalps, arent in a relegation battle and have something to play for still in April.
Yes, I reckon that's all we can cling to..the hope of coming from nowhere to get promoted. Can't see anything to get too excited about - hope I'm wrong.
Someone said we have a 'brilliant' manager. A good manager(discounting his disciplinary record) I would say, for this division.
Zorro
Fresh Alias

Post by Zorro »

The distinct lack of ambition comment has to be put into context. Half of the teams in League One have been throwing silly money around and inflating transfer fees and wages way above their means.
I get the feeling that, if we survive this year, we'll be up against a lot of teams heavily in debt the following year.
FilipinO
Fresh Alias

Post by FilipinO »

I think this is a pretty downbeat board in general, and I am a bit more optimistic.

We have a pretty good starting 11, our keeper has a good reputation (I haven't seen him play yet). We have solid center backs and our front three of Oneil, Agyei and Graham are as good as any I think.

We will need to be lucky with injuries this year, as always.

I think upper mid table to outside playoff push is where we'll end up.
waigO
Fresh Alias

Post by waigO »

Missing quality in midfield.

Hopefully Warrington comes through and grabs games. If he doesn’t, we might be in a touch of bother against some very good midfields elsewhere.

Note that Richie said he was hoping to bring in a number 8 in the next couple of weeks. Whether this is another younger player/loan or a proven league 1 midfielder remains to be seen. Feel we need some experience or at least someone that can hold their own with a bit of bite.
POSHO
Fresh Alias

Post by POSHO »

I think that the deal with God sky is going to reduce attendances( ala the embarrassing plea by RW to attend the ground), plus all the additional revenue will be gobbled up by greedy players and agents.Status quo, the bigger clubs will spend more, debt will accumulate more and more clubs will plead for help
DuvB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DuvB »

Whatever happens to that older midfielder who went to Spain? Not taken on I guess
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

POSHO wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 12:19 pm I think that the deal with God sky is going to reduce attendances( ala the embarrassing plea by RW to attend the ground), plus all the additional revenue will be gobbled up by greedy players and agents.Status quo, the bigger clubs will spend more, debt will accumulate more and more clubs will plead for help
Yep I tend to agree that Sky will affect attendance’s
The Newport game next week is being shown live and if we get 3,000 we’ll be lucky
I think we’ll finish top half, probably around 10th
Hoover Attack
Regular
Regular

Post by Hoover Attack »

Trust in Richie.

He's got his man in Kelman, finally. He's changed our formation to accommodate him, as well as our entire way of playing as a result. The biggest question mark is over Warrington. He's looked ok so far, and again you have to trust Richie's ability to spot a midfielder. El Miz and Galbraith have both turned out ok (although admittedly Sanders, not so much, but that appears to be more due to his inability to stay fit and adapt to our way of playing than talent).

The players still to come need to be proper first team standard, not more kids, but as long as that's the case, we'll be fine.

I'm excited for tomorrow.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Not surprisingly Birmingham are hoped to win the league with Bolton and Charlton promoted.

Would be surprised if Charlton are in the mix this season but the assessment on the Os (At present) seems a fair one.
It's true we've shown a lack of ambition this Summer . What exciting signings was Nigel talking about ? . With only three strikers, ( Only one who's good enough is Agyei ) and Sweeney as first choice LB what could possibly go wrong .
DuvB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DuvB »

Hoover Attack wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 12:50 pm Trust in Richie.

He's got his man in Kelman, finally. He's changed our formation to accommodate him, as well as our entire way of playing as a result. The biggest question mark is over Warrington. He's looked ok so far, and again you have to trust Richie's ability to spot a midfielder. El Miz and Galbraith have both turned out ok (although admittedly Sanders, not so much, but that appears to be more due to his inability to stay fit and adapt to our way of playing than talent).

The players still to come need to be proper first team standard, not more kids, but as long as that's the case, we'll be fine.

I believe that if there are more signings, they will be loanees
Brigs
Fresh Alias

Post by Brigs »

Get the feeling (personally) we are going to see some Homegrowns breaking into the squad. So fittingly I'll do my best Alan Hansen.

" You'll win nothing with kids" .

Up the O"s
:lofc:
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

DuvB wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 2:39 pm
Hoover Attack wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 12:50 pm Trust in Richie.

I believe that if there are more signings, they will be loanees
If they are season long loans and of the quality of El-Miz I won't be complaining . However what we don't need is more raw youngsters like we got last January .
DuvB
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by DuvB »

However what we don't need is more raw youngsters like we got last January .
================================
Nothing could be as bad as those two.