Rotherham

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

BoniO
Regular
Regular

Re: Rotherham

Post by BoniO »

Why don’t we just cut & paste in the same thread topic content from the last umpteen seasons. Same people, same old gripe, same old, same old. Yawn…
The Reverend
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by The Reverend »

Hoover Attack wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 2:56 pm Me neither but from the comments above it seems like only 1, so you’re wrong.
If it is only 1 ex-Stevenage player then yes, I’m wrong on this occasion.

My general statement that players tend to sign quicker for managers they have a good history with isn’t exactly controversial.

Either way, I couldn’t really care less about what Fatty Evans and Rotherham are up to. I do also find it a bit unbelievable that Rotherham have mega bucks to spend.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

I struggle with that too.

Don’t think he had mega bucks at Stevenage last season either, but still got his business done sharpish. Seems people are trying to invent reasons why he always gets his business done early when others ie us tend to let things drag on.
Loyal_Supporter
Fresh Alias

Post by Loyal_Supporter »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 12:28 pm
ComeOnYouOs wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:42 pm Steve Evans has now already made 5 signings

He believes (as I do ) in getting your signings in quickly.

Ling however believes in waiting late, which frustrates the you know what's out of me

And to those r boarders who say Evans rushes it, and we get better by waiting, I disagree.
Stevenage finished above us last season, so his signings didn't do so bad
Indeed . People are saying it's because he's got a bigger budget at Rotherham . However he did the same thing last season on a budget that must have been similar to ours. OK, we had a terrible time with injuries but Stevenage got nearer the playoffs than we did so Evans didn't do too badly .
You seem to be forgetting that they were in the play offs and dropped off badly. Ran out of steam...maybe the signings were TOO early?
Brigs
Fresh Alias

Post by Brigs »

My Name's George Whitebread,
I'm a Yorkshire man,
I say what I like &
I like what I bloody well say.
Norlington Road
Fresh Alias

Post by Norlington Road »

It’s all to do with budgets . If we sign them early we have to pay them early. Evans does very well with his signings usually .
How have Rotherham got a massive budget after relegation ?
Norlington Road
Fresh Alias

Post by Norlington Road »

We were interested in the Peterborough Striker , but I don’t think we got very far and he signed for Evans very quickly , as he’s played for him before . Prolific goal scorer
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Norlington Road wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 7:06 pm It’s all to do with budgets . If we sign them early we have to pay them early. Evans does very well with his signings usually .
How have Rotherham got a massive budget after relegation ?
It’s nothing to do with paying people early. Players will be under contract and paid by their previous club until June 30th. If they sign earlier than that it’s only a pre contract agreement. Rotherham have a lot of budget to spend because they-released a dozen players when relegated who had been on championship wages and that’s a lot of money freed up for Evans to spend.
Last edited by Top of the JES on Mon May 27, 2024 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Norlington Road wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 7:08 pm We were interested in the Peterborough Striker , but I don’t think we got very far and he signed for Evans very quickly , as he’s played for him before . Prolific goal scorer
We were never Interested in Clarke Johnson. He’s above and beyond our wage structure.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

The Reverend wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 3:49 pm
Hoover Attack wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 2:56 pm Me neither but from the comments above it seems like only 1, so you’re wrong.
If it is only 1 ex-Stevenage player then yes, I’m wrong on this occasion.

My general statement that players tend to sign quicker for managers they have a good history with isn’t exactly controversial.

Either way, I couldn’t really care less about what Fatty Evans and Rotherham are up to. I do also find it a bit unbelievable that Rotherham have mega bucks to spend.
I believe Rotherham released 11 players so that has massively freed up their budget . I thinks Evans did the same thing last season at Stevenage .
Chelmsford Swimmer
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Chelmsford Swimmer »

Also got a rumoured million when goalkeeper Viktor Johansson went to Stoke.
ContrifibulatoryFred
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by ContrifibulatoryFred »

Why can’t we stop obsessing about Steve Evans?
Maybe we should just admit, however unpalatable it might feel, that Evans is a half way decent manager?
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Hoover Attack wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 12:48 pm
Chelmsford Swimmer wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 2:01 am
Hoover Attack wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:27 pm Have Rotherham really got a massive budget?
Well Johnson Clarke-Harris will be on decent bucks for a start. Reece James from Sheff Wed and Sean Raggett and Joe Rafferty from Portsmouth will also not be on peanuts. Salaries definitely more than we can afford.
More than we paid Moncur to entice him down to L2?

More than we paid Agyei to beat off a load of other L1 competition?
Jonson Clarke Harris was on £6,100 a week + goal and appearance bonuses at Posh and it’s why they let him go for nothing it’s a lot of money and he was often on the bench, We pay Moncur and Ageyi far less than that. Bristol Rovers agreed a fee with Posh forJCH last season but could not agree personal terms with the player,he’s obviously gone to Rotherham on more money.
LittleMate
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by LittleMate »

Top of the JES wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 12:56 am

Well Johnson Clarke-Harris will be on decent bucks for a start. Reece James from Sheff Wed and Sean Raggett and Joe Rafferty from Portsmouth will also not be on peanuts. Salaries definitely more than we can afford.

Jonson Clarke Harris was on £6,100 a week + goal and appearance bonuses at Posh and it’s why they let him go for nothing it’s a lot of money and he was often on the bench, We pay Moncur and Ageyi far less than that. Bristol Rovers agreed a fee with Posh forJCH last season but could not agree personal terms with the player,he’s obviously gone to Rotherham on more money.
Or at the very least for the best dough he can get. As a free agent that can score goals he might have a bit more muscle in negotiations.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

😂 you know how much he’s earning to the nearest £100?

Think the point is that, for whatever reasons, we are once again dragging our heels whilst other clubs are getting their business done early.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

ContrifibulatoryFred wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:55 pm Why can’t we stop obsessing about Steve Evans?
Maybe we should just admit, however unpalatable it might feel, that Evans is a half way decent manager?
Yes, he is a decent manager and that's why some on here resort to calling him "fatty Evans".
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Hoover Attack wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 9:17 am

Think the point is that, for whatever reasons, we are once again dragging our heels whilst other clubs are getting their business done early.
It's the same every bloomin' year. We just never seem to learn that the early bird gets the worms.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Yes . - If you bothered to look, it's all out there. Not that you bother to do anything other than try and come over as clever (which you ain't btw :clown ) .

https://salarysport.com/football/league ... hest-paid/
The Mindsweep
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Mindsweep »

Why are Rotherham & Steve Evans living in so many of your heads?
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Chief crazy horse wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 9:29 am
ContrifibulatoryFred wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:55 pm Why can’t we stop obsessing about Steve Evans?
Yes, he is a decent manager and that's why some on here resort to calling him "fatty Evans".
Don't like the bloke but that doesn't really matter, credit to him he can certainly manage a lower league football club.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

The Mindsweep wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 9:47 am Why are Rotherham & Steve Evans living in so many of your heads?
For some on here happy to criticise at every opportunity it's because he's already made five signings so he and Rotherham must be ahead of the game - and we must be dragging our feet but Rotherham released a dozen players at the end of last season so they have a lot to do to rebuild and money to spend. We have a more settled squad and once we find out where we are with James, Happe, and Ruel we can target our signings more precisely, if those Three stay we probably need Four or Five tops, talks will be ongoing.
Last edited by Top of the JES on Tue May 28, 2024 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Top of the JES wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 9:34 am

Yes . - If you bothered to look, it's all out there. Not that you bother to do anything other than try and come over as clever (which you ain't btw :clown ) .

https://salarysport.com/football/league ... hest-paid/
Oh wow. How on earth has that website managed to hack into the payroll function of every football club in the country?

Orients payroll makes interesting reading.

https://salarysport.com/football/league ... on-orient/
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Top of the JES wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 9:48 am
Chief crazy horse wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 9:29 am
Don't like the bloke but that doesn't really matter, credit to him he can certainly manage a lower league football club.
This. Awful person but undoubtedly knows how to manage in the lower divisions on small budgets. Also likes to get his business done early so he knows what he's working with when they hit pre-season training, rather than still be signing left overs come August.
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

The Mindsweep wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 9:47 am Why are Rotherham & Steve Evans living in so many of your heads?
They’ve moved on from Stevenage and Steve Evans last year, so now it’s Rotherham and Evans this year.
I don’t get it either, but whatever you think of Evans, he did a fantastic job at Stevenage and is a decent, lower league manager. Horrible bloke, probably , but he’s not out of work for long and will be a thorn in our side again next season.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Here's the full list of transfers so far:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/ar ... 00l155qm2o

There have only been 29 signings so far. So most other clubs are in the same boat as us.

The fact Rotherham have signed 5 of those is remarkable, a proper outlier.