Rotherham

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Rotherham

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

Steve Evans has now already made 5 signings

He believes (as I do ) in getting your signings in quickly.

Ling however believes in waiting late, which frustrates the you know what's out of me

And to those r boarders who say Evans rushes it, and we get better by waiting, I disagree.
Stevenage finished above us last season, so his signings didn't do so bad
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Re: Rotherham

Post by Proposition Joe »

Boring
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:42 pm Steve Evans has now already made 5 signings

Ling however believes in waiting late, which frustrates the you know what's out of me

And to those r boarders who say Evans rushes it, and we get better by waiting, I disagree.
He's got a point
Chelmsford Swimmer
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Chelmsford Swimmer »

ComeOnYouOs wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:42 pm Steve Evans has now already made 5 signings

The reality is Rotherham have one of the highest League 1 budgets, they can offer the bucks and get the players early. When you have a significantly smaller budget, you are lower in the pecking order, and don't get first dibs. Players only sign early for the better money or because they are desperate. You might not like it, but that's the way it works.
Chicken Dhansak
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Chicken Dhansak »

We've always been notoriously slow signing players in the summer window, but let's hope that when the signings do come they are good ones. :lofc:
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

Yes, just because Evans gets his signings in early doesn’t mean they are any better players that are being brought in.
Our budget simply won’t be as big the one some other clubs have, it’s a fact that we have to accept but it doesn’t mean that Rotherham’s signings are any better.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Chelmsford Swimmer wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:22 pm

The reality is Rotherham have one of the highest League 1 budgets, they can offer the bucks and get the players early. When you have a significantly smaller budget, you are lower in the pecking order, and don't get first dibs. Players only sign early for the better money or because they are desperate. You might not like it, but that's the way it works.
This.
Brigs
Fresh Alias

Post by Brigs »

Eggski
Fresh Alias

Post by Eggski »

Steve Evans is the most sexy man on earth, let's not ne jealous folks.
Highwood Man
Fresh Alias

Post by Highwood Man »

Who have Rotherham signed? Anyone decent?
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Have Rotherham really got a massive budget?
Chelmsford Swimmer
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Hoover Attack wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:27 pm Have Rotherham really got a massive budget?
Well Johnson Clarke-Harris will be on decent bucks for a start. Reece James from Sheff Wed and Sean Raggett and Joe Rafferty from Portsmouth will also not be on peanuts. Salaries definitely more than we can afford.
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

I didn't realise Rotherham were so wealthy

Where on earth have these riches come from?

We know clubs in the Championship lose tens of millions a season, so how come Rotherham have money to burn?
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

Don’t think Rotherham have a massively larger budget than ours. It will be a bit bigger on account of having a larger stadium that attracts bigger crowds and that they don’t have to pay rent on. But every season (bar one) that they have spent in the Championship lately has resulted in their relegation.
Brigs
Fresh Alias

Post by Brigs »

​ROTHERHAM United continue to be a model of sound financial management after posting a pre-tax loss of just £1.1 million in last year's Championship survival season.

https://www.rotherhamadvertiser.co.uk/s ... ts-4541909

2022/23 season.
Championship budget of £15 million , up from about
£9 million in League 1
The Reverend
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by The Reverend »

Chelmsford Swimmer wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:22 pm

They also sign quickly for managers they have played for before (i.e. are guaranteed to be in the first team). I haven’t paid close attention to who Evans has signed but I would imagine many are former Stevenage players?

Having been at Orient for over 2 seasons now (and his previous job before that being a bit of a disaster) means that Wellens doesn’t have the option to poach his favourites from elsewhere.

Basically, comparing the transfer activity of Fatty Evans at Rotherham with Orient is kind of pointless as the situation is so different. However, I do agree that we take too long to sign key players.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Indeed . People are saying it's because he's got a bigger budget at Rotherham . However he did the same thing last season on a budget that must have been similar to ours. OK, we had a terrible time with injuries but Stevenage got nearer the playoffs than we did so Evans didn't do too badly .
Chelmsford Swimmer
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Other than Johnson Clarke-Harris who was with Evans at Rotherham previously, no other ex Evans players have signed. Rotherham released 11 players who were on Championship wages. Also got a rumoured million when goalkeeper Viktor Johansson went to Stoke. I'm sure that has all helped the transfer kitty. More signings rumoured for next week.
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

Evans is a good manager. Of the signings he has made Clarke Johnson and Raggett have played at Rotherham before albeit the latter on loan, Clarke Johnson played under Evans management before , Joe Rafferty wanted to move North after leaving Pompey. Those Three will be on very good wages. Shaun McWilliams was at Northampton and Reece James at Sheffield Wednesday. What I think makes the signings shrewd is not so much he signed them early but four of the five have played in teams promoted from League One and know exactly what it takes to go up.
Chelmsford Swimmer
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

From the Peterborough Telegraph, during his 11 months at Peterborough United, manager Steve Evans signed 23 players, only 5 were a success.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Chelmsford Swimmer wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 2:01 am
Hoover Attack wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:27 pm Have Rotherham really got a massive budget?
Well Johnson Clarke-Harris will be on decent bucks for a start. Reece James from Sheff Wed and Sean Raggett and Joe Rafferty from Portsmouth will also not be on peanuts. Salaries definitely more than we can afford.
More than we paid Moncur to entice him down to L2?

More than we paid Agyei to beat off a load of other L1 competition?
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

The Reverend wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 12:06 pm

They also sign quickly for managers they have played for before (i.e. are guaranteed to be in the first team). I haven’t paid close attention to who Evans has signed but I would imagine many are former Stevenage players?

So how many of those signed already have played for him before?
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Is Lingy on holiday at the moment or out doing the tour of America thing?
The Reverend
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by The Reverend »

Hoover Attack wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 12:51 pm
The Reverend wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 12:06 pm

So how many of those signed already have played for him before?
No idea. I don’t pay much attention to details of the transfer activity of random clubs.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Me neither but from the comments above it seems like only 1, so you’re wrong.