East Stand

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

East Stand

Post by BIGRON »

I was at the ground last night watching my great nephew playing in a tournament , I noticed all the stairways were boarded up and there were skips by the corners both ends of the stand , looks like the promised upgrades might be taking place 🤔 hopefully this work will include the bogs ☹️
The Reverend
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Re: East Stand

Post by The Reverend »

BIGRON wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:00 am I was at the ground last night watching my great nephew playing in a tournament , I noticed all the stairways were boarded up and there were skips by the corners both ends of the stand , looks like the promised upgrades might be taking place 🤔 hopefully this work will include the bogs ☹️
How did your great nephew do in his tournament?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

aylesburyos
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by aylesburyos »

Work started as soon shortly after our last home match. New toilets & bars plus making walk ways more spacious so we are not restricted to 85% capacity
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

The Reverend wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:12 am
BIGRON wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:00 am I was at the ground last night watching my great nephew playing in a tournament , I noticed all the stairways were boarded up and there were skips by the corners both ends of the stand , looks like the promised upgrades might be taking place 🤔 hopefully this work will include the bogs ☹️
How did your great nephew do in his tournament?
They won their first game then lost and drew the final game ,, they finished joint 2nd of 4 , hopefully his younger brother will fair better at tomorrow's games 👍
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Give it to Jabo »

I do love the East Stand, it reeks of History. Am I right in thinking that some of the structure was taken from Catford Greyhound Stadium? Somebody told me so....
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Is this where the confusion arses??

Clapton Stadium
The Clapton Stadium, also known as Millfields Road, was a football ground and greyhound racing stadium in the Lower Clapton area of London
The Reverend
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by The Reverend »

Give it to Jabo wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 12:49 pm I do love the East Stand, it reeks of History. Am I right in thinking that some of the structure was taken from Catford Greyhound Stadium? Somebody told me so....
History isn’t the only thing it reeks of….
O Superman
Fresh Alias

Post by O Superman »

Give it to Jabo wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 12:50 pm Is this where the confusion arses??

Clapton Stadium
The Clapton Stadium, also known as Millfields Road, was a football ground and greyhound racing stadium in the Lower Clapton area of London

No, the East Stand came directly from Mitcham Greyhound stadium in 1956. The reason that the gable is not right in the middle of the stand is supposed to be because it oriiginally held the photo-finish equipment for the greyhounds. Initially, only two thirds of teh stand was was installed at Brisbane Road with the remainder in being put up when we got promoted to the old first division in 1962. Before they replaced the roof a couple of years ago, you used to be able to see the difference in colour where they had installed the last bit.

The Clapton Stadium in Millfields Road still existed long after the club moved to Brisbane Road. My Grandad and Aunt both worked there in the 50s/60's. It was demolished in (I think) the 70's and is now a housing estate.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Good. It’s an awful match day experience as it is
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

The East Stand has been a sh*t hole for many years. These improvements are well overdue.
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

O Superman wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 1:21 pm
Give it to Jabo wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 12:50 pm Is this where the confusion arses??

Clapton Stadium

No, the East Stand came directly from Mitcham Greyhound stadium in 1956. The reason that the gable is not right in the middle of the stand is supposed to be because it oriiginally held the photo-finish equipment for the greyhounds. Initially, only two thirds of teh stand was was installed at Brisbane Road with the remainder in being put up when we got promoted to the old first division in 1962. Before they replaced the roof a couple of years ago, you used to be able to see the difference in colour where they had installed the last bit.

The Clapton Stadium in Millfields Road still existed long after the club moved to Brisbane Road. My Grandad and Aunt both worked there in the 50s/60's. It was demolished in (I think) the 70's and is now a housing estate.
Thank you for a response that is more than comprehensive, Superman.
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Dunners wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 2:52 pm The East Stand has been a sh*t hole for many years. These improvements are well overdue.
Thinking of starting a Campaign for Real Football Stadiums.....

Went to the Tottenham Stadium for the NLD - thought I was at a pop concert. It was only the foul abuse that kept me "grounded"
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

Clapton Stadium

And there's a road there named Orient way, I believe.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

I quite like it, its old fashioned and real.

It'll just be very corporate and souless now.
mildandbitter
Fresh Alias

Post by mildandbitter »

Long slender neck wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:03 pm I quite like it, its old fashioned and real.

It'll just be very corporate and souless now.
If it wasn't for the sun being in your eyes most of the time it would be my choice.
LPE
Fresh Alias

Post by LPE »

It has an old football world charm to it. Hope it’s not altered too much.
Brigs
Fresh Alias

Post by Brigs »

Used to love the enclosures back in the 70s
marcho
Fresh Alias

Post by marcho »

Bring back the Chicken Run !!
Orient Punxx
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Orient Punxx »

Clapton Stadium

https://greyhoundracingtimes.co.uk/2019 ... n-mitcham/

Never hosted a greyhound race. “The gable was a viewing porch”!
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

I thought that also when I read this. I had never heard of any connection with the east stand we got from Mitchum and greyhound racing before.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

The catering needs updating and it does get overcrowded at HT

I enjoy the uniqueness of it, hopefully they don’t bin off the Alan Comfort Bar or Theo’s changing room
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

The buy a pint on an app, redeem it at a machine then take the token to the bar bollox can get in the bin though
O Superman
Fresh Alias

Post by O Superman »

Orient Punxx wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:01 am

Clapton Stadium

https://greyhoundracingtimes.co.uk/2019 ... n-mitcham/

Never hosted a greyhound race. “The gable was a viewing porch”!
Well that depends on who you believe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitcham_Stadium

Even the article you posted says it was unclear.

As for the photo-finish bit, maybe it was only intended to install it - and where else would you put it other than opposite the finish line as mentioned in your article. Anyway, I posted in good faith and that part has definitely been repeated by the club historians in my lifetime.