New signing - Jack Simpson

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

BigDaddyO
Fresh Alias

Re: New signing - Jack Simpson

Post by BigDaddyO »

Lol CEB, crawl back into your box fella.
CEB

Post by CEB »

I see the gammons are out
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Interested in what one of latest fan groups has to say,
The Punjabi Os
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

We're no other defenders available?
CEB

Post by CEB »

If they’re not on board, it must be because they’re worse judges of character than Richie Wellens
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

CEB wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:32 pm I don’t really think there’s any relevance to comparing it with an armed robbery. Looked at on its own, it’s a decision which didn’t need to be made.
I hate the “second chance” narrative because it’s a gross reframing of what is a cynical decision to get a player on the cheap as an act of altruism: essentially putting the club in the role of charitable good Samaritans, spotting the REAL person underneath the reputation after a regrettable mistake.

It stinks.
Except your entire second paragraph could be used to argue against the example given in the first.

Obviously the club thinks it's signed a player who they think can improve the squad, I don't think anyone has suggested this is some kind of charitable act.
CEB

Post by CEB »

You misunderstand. Of *course* the club thinks it has signed a player they think improves the squad.

The issue is in spinning it as “recognition of how a young lad deserves a second chance”, when the truth is simply an opportunistic attempt to get a player on the cheap, in the hope that the baggage doesn’t stop it being worthwhile.

It’s obvious facile bullshit - and insulting to the young guy he racially abused - for people at the club who only know the guy in the capacity of being on his best behaviour as he tries to salvage his career, to be like “yeah I’m a good judge of character, he’s a good lad, he’s just made mistakes”
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Is Ched Evans abailable?
essexfootball
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by essexfootball »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:38 pm Is Ched Evans abailable?
Proven innocent, wasn't he?

" simply an opportunistic attempt to get a player on the cheap"

That's every club in the land for every player, they aren't going to double someone's wages because they are a nice guy or we'd have Adam Thompson here again for the next five years
Last edited by essexfootball on Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CEB

Post by CEB »

Weird that he was proven innocent, given that the legal system in this country doesn’t actually prove people innocent. Do you have a link to where he’s proven innocent? Interested to read.
essexfootball
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by essexfootball »

CEB wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:49 pm Weird that he was proven innocent, given that the legal system in this country doesn’t actually prove people innocent. Do you have a link to where he’s proven innocent? Interested to read.
Innocent is probably the wrong word but

The retrial began on 4 October 2016 and on 14 October Evans was found not guilty.[71][72] After the retrial, it could then be reported that the legal argument used in the appeal had related to the complainant's sexual history.[73] On 11 April 2019, Evans accepted an £800,000 settlement from the legal firm which represented him in his first trial.[74]
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

I dunno... I guess these things both be true at the same time... that there is some cynical opportunism in getting a player from a higher level at a knockdown price because he's shop soiled... and a noble intention to offer a second chance to someone who can demonstrate contrition and that they have changed their ways.
The Reverend
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Reverend »

essexfootball wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:45 pm We all mistakes, he said something stupid, not physically raped/assaulted someone, he is still pretty young, if Wellens and co are happy to get him in the squad, then so be it, it will be a storm in a teacup, I'm sure the squad were talking about it for two days and then it would've been yesterday's news.
Is “not raping or killing someone” really the threshold we want people to not have hit to represent our club? That seems like an incredibly low bar if you ask me.

Personally, I’d like to add “not racially abused colleagues” to that list, but clearly that’s too pious for you
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

The Reverend wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:00 pm
essexfootball wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:45 pm We all mistakes, he said something stupid, not physically raped/assaulted someone, he is still pretty young, if Wellens and co are happy to get him in the squad, then so be it, it will be a storm in a teacup, I'm sure the squad were talking about it for two days and then it would've been yesterday's news.
Is “not raping or killing someone” really the threshold we want people to not have hit to represent our club? That seems like an incredibly low bar if you ask me.

Personally, I’d like to add “not racially abused colleagues” to that list, but clearly that’s too pious for you
Our assistant manager has hardly covered himself in glory over the years either
CEB

Post by CEB »

essexfootball wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:57 pm
CEB wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:49 pm Weird that he was proven innocent, given that the legal system in this country doesn’t actually prove people innocent. Do you have a link to where he’s proven innocent? Interested to read.

The retrial began on 4 October 2016 and on 14 October Evans was found not guilty.[71][72] After the retrial, it could then be reported that the legal argument used in the appeal had related to the complainant's sexual history.[73] On 11 April 2019, Evans accepted an £800,000 settlement from the legal firm which represented him in his first trial.[74]
Yes, innocent is the wrong word.
essexfootball
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by essexfootball »

CEB wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:12 pm
essexfootball wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:57 pm

Yes, innocent is the wrong word.
The problem is, who are you or I to judge him, if the court gave him not guilty, welcome to the paradox of life
The Reverend
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Reverend »

Seems like they have no issue over on the other place with us signing a racist.

https://lofcforum.boards.net/thread/14801/
Chelmsford Swimmer
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Chelmsford Swimmer »

The Reverend wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:37 pm

Should this same grace be extended to fans?

Someone shouts a racial slur at a player. Gets a lifetime ban. Says how sorry they are. Do we let them back in?

If the answer is “no” for a fan, then why is it not the same for a player?

Really poor move from the club this.
Not quite sure that stopping a fan going to a match, is comparable to stopping a player from having a career.
CEB

Post by CEB »

Every football club in the world has stopped me from doing a career, and I haven’t even done a racism
OyinbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by OyinbO »

CEB wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:39 pm “Everybody deserves a second chance” is facile bollocks.
Agree with this. Which is why it’s interesting that Wellens himself very clearly and explicitly said the opposite.
The Reverend
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Reverend »

Chelmsford Swimmer wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:05 pm
The Reverend wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:37 pm

Should this same grace be extended to fans?

Someone shouts a racial slur at a player. Gets a lifetime ban. Says how sorry they are. Do we let them back in?

If the answer is “no” for a fan, then why is it not the same for a player?

Really poor move from the club this.
Not quite sure that stopping a fan going to a match, is comparable to stopping a player from having a career.
Why isn’t it?
CEB

Post by CEB »

OyinbO wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:08 pm
CEB wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:39 pm “Everybody deserves a second chance” is facile bollocks.
Agree with this. Which is why it’s interesting that Wellens himself very clearly and explicitly said the opposite.
He didn’t “clearly and explicitly state the opposite” - he awkwardly waffled for a few minutes, reeling off every cliche in the book.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

The fact that Simpson starts his interview saying his overriding emotion is relief sort of says it all…he then goes on to talk about how this has affected him rather than the victim. Let’s just hope he isn’t allowed on any team socials or has given up booze
Snowyash
Fresh Alias

Post by Snowyash »

No issues with this signing at all. I mean, he probably said what 90% of brits have said or thought at some point in their life, even if it was for a moment and never said anything
Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Beradogs »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:28 pm The fact that Simpson starts his interview saying his overriding emotion is relief sort of says it all…he then goes on to talk about how this has affected him rather than the victim. Let’s just hope he isn’t allowed on any team socials or has given up booze
The victim… Give me strength!