Most trouble you’ve seen at a football match

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Most trouble you’ve seen at a football match

Post by EliotNes »

Cheshunto wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:12 pm 1972 and Chelsea cup tie where we won 3-2 .
I was standing in the West stand as a 15 year old with my Dad. When Fairbrother got the winner it all kicked off around us and Chelsea fans tried to invade the pitch, punching any O’s fans nearby.
My Dad grabbed me and said “We’re leaving “ and we just about escaped.
I was 15 too and there with my Dad. But we stayed and I remember the police literally picking the Chelsea supporters up and throwing them back over the wall into the West Side. My dad complained when one of the human projectiles nearly knocked me over and was told "shut up or we'll arrest you". That's why we didn't go to the Arsenal match in the next round.

I think it was the following season (but could be wrong) where the Chelsea supporters invaded again and brought down the wall.

Apart from the "Colchester" event, that's the worst I've ever seen at the Os.
one o in huntingdon
Fresh Alias

Post by one o in huntingdon »

Aftermath of the cup qtr final at Middlesbrough wasn't too jolly either. Lots of O's fans attacked on their way back the station.
Monkey Boy
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Monkey Boy »

EliotNes wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:47 pm
Cheshunto wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:12 pm 1972 and Chelsea cup tie where we won 3-2 .
I was standing in the West stand as a 15 year old with my Dad. When Fairbrother got the winner it all kicked off around us and Chelsea fans tried to invade the pitch, punching any O’s fans nearby.
I was 15 too and there with my Dad. But we stayed and I remember the police literally picking the Chelsea supporters up and throwing them back over the wall into the West Side. My dad complained when one of the human projectiles nearly knocked me over and was told "shut up or we'll arrest you". That's why we didn't go to the Arsenal match in the next round.

I think it was the following season (but could be wrong) where the Chelsea supporters invaded again and brought down the wall.

I think you are correct
moonwalk19
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by moonwalk19 »

Chicken Dhansak wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:44 am Away back we were playing Birmingham City at Brissy in one of the last games of the season, Millwall were also in contention for promotion. I was on the old north terrace and there was a big mixture of both of the other clubs. Birmingham scored from a corner and then it all kicked off, and it was savage.i got out of there pdq.
I was at that game .went through the turnstile at the south end but did not get up the steps to watch the game due to the crowd. Lot of trouble with a mixture of Millwall and Birmingham supporters. All I could see was when the ball was in the air. Lasted to H/T and went home.
cymruO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cymruO »

Early 90's against Cardiff at Ninian Park - terrific fight broke out between Cardiff's valley supporters and their city ones. We were all laughing and jeering at the other end of the ground
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

EliotNes wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:47 pm

Think that was 1978
Top of the JES
Regular
Regular

Post by Top of the JES »

one o in huntingdon wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:57 pm Aftermath of the cup qtr final at Middlesbrough wasn't too jolly either. Lots of O's fans attacked on their way back the station.
No idea how we got back to the station unscathed after the game. I saw one Os fan get picked by three or four boro fans and
Thrown over a wall with a 15 foot drop on the other side. People were getting attacked all over the place and the police did nothing. Got back to the station and there was about a hundred coppers keeping boro fans out.It was more like a hospital train on the way back rather than the Orient Express.
Celtient
Fresh Alias

Post by Celtient »

1977 Scottish Cup final. Absolute mayhem outside the ground after the game. Not pavement dancing, but several thousand Celtic and Rangers fans absolutely battering each other. As a 16 year old, I was crapping myself, but was watching from the relative safety of the old North Stand. The battle noise attracted more and more fans from both sides and there must have been about 7 or 8 thousand of them trying to get at each other but the ones at the back resorted to hurling bottles and stones. Incredibly it was barely mentioned in the Scottish media. I think Plod screwed up big time as normally there would have been a barricade of police vans, horses and dogs to keep the fans apart as they left the ground, so I think Plod kept a lid on it and the press were largely unaware. Hundreds must have required hospital treatment though I would imagine. Much was made of the fighting on the pitch after the final in 1980, but that was a mere skirmish in comparison. Not that Rangers Mk1 were bad losers or anything
Celtient
Fresh Alias

Post by Celtient »

PS. On our way home, we met in with another Celtic fan from our village. I asked if he had witnessed the fighting. Yes, he replied "I was in the thick of it. It was magic" Takes all sorts I suppose
banqo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by banqo »

VeganO wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:53 pm
banqo wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:05 am
Chicken Dhansak wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:44 am Away back we were playing Birmingham City at Brissy in one of the last games of the season, Millwall were also in contention for promotion. I was on the old north terrace and there was a big mixture of both of the other clubs. Birmingham scored from a corner and then it all kicked off, and it was savage.i got out of there pdq.
Don't forget the bomb under the East Stand !
I went to that game & what I remember was the bomb scare. I also recall it was a night match & there was a very large crowd.
I think I was standing at the Coronation Gardens end.
I don't remember seeing any violence which is not to say that there wasn't.
Official crowd was 33,383 but hundreds more got in for nothing. It was chaos, I was 14 at the time. Was expecting a crowd of about 15,000,
but wasn't thinking there'd be thousands of Millwall there,as well as all the Brum fans!
lordgriff
Fresh Alias

Post by lordgriff »

I remember it kicked off at Hendon, not sure what that all about?
lordgriff
Fresh Alias

Post by lordgriff »

Also remember Orient fans kicking the sh*t out of each other away at Bournemouth in the early 90s....
CanaryO
Fresh Alias

Post by CanaryO »

Leicester at home in the 80’a when they got promoted and destroyed our goal posts !