stopping scams

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

greyhound
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

stopping scams

Post by greyhound »

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/police-issue- ... 27605.html

my aunt was scammed out of 60grand by getting a phone call
saying they where the police.
she was told not to tell anyone. we are trying to catch a thief
behind the counter go to bank take out 10grand we will put it in
a safe account.
this went on till her account was empty. after lots
of toing and throwing we got her money back.
so we went to the bank and got them to flag us when
more than 100 pounds is being taken out, not including
standing orders for bills. may not be right for all
but its probably the only way to reduce fraud against
the elderly and people with slight alzheimers.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: stopping scams

Post by Long slender neck »

Your aunt?
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Sort out a Power of Attorney.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Another scourge of modern society, sometimes you read how people get taken in and you think "are you for real? You did what?" but the number of people who consider themselves savvy and on the ball who get caught out is really high too. These people are very good at what they do. The extra security checks when doing online banking are a real pain in the arse but they don't seem to be stopping this from becoming ever more prevalent.

I'd ask what the answer to all this is but don't want spen to go off on one again.
Friend or faux
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Friend or faux »

Online banking is a useful tool, but has many dangers. I was very wary before installing the Nationwide app on my phone. But as soon as I go online every day, the first thing I inspect, is my Bank A/C & check it. A long time ago ( 10-15 years ago ), there was a small transaction that wasn't me. I immediately rang Nationwide ( took a little while to get through ) & found out they were on it already . They had put another couple of dubious transactions on hold, and issued me with another card; I was quickly fully refunded. I reckon the Lakeside Harvester was responsible, they kept saying their card reader was faulty & took your card out of sight. Everyone ( I hope ) is wise to this scam now & my card never leaves my possession.
But on my Local Area Facebook page, they all go on about the Petrol station on the Daneholes Roundabout on Stanford Rd. This is apparently notorious for card cloning & yet the Ole Bill do nothing
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Daily Express bot »

A couple of brothers in their 60’s I know got scammed a month ago . They live in their parents (long gone) huge house worth fortunes. Poorly maintained, stands out from the well kept ones in an affluent area.

Usual old tale, two blokes broke slates on footpath told them their skates are falling and would give a free quote to repair it. Within an hour they had stripped the roof off completely, quoting them 30k to replace it. Panicking they agreed. Over the next two weeks they boosted the price to 110k which they paid a lot of it in cash! Builders next door phoned the police at one point saying they were getting ripped off. Police attended and said it was a civil dispute. The roof was replaced, shoddy job, heavier tiles, roof timbers not reinforced. Trading standards got involved but due to there being only two employed were ‘monitoring the situation’. These builders had a couple over in the same street also with same method. Be warned!

Worse thing , these cowboys had their van with all the recognised ‘hall marked stickers on ‘trusted and rated this and that’
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Old Bill doing nothing is a key part of the problem, IMHO. Absolutely no disincentive for the crims at the moment, even if the person scammed gets their money back, it's the bank who stump up, they've got away with it Scott free. They either don't have the resources or inclination to follow up leads like where the money's actually gone to.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Friend or faux wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:48 am Online banking is a useful tool, but has many dangers. I was very wary before installing the Nationwide app on my phone. But as soon as I go online every day, the first thing I inspect, is my Bank A/C & check it. A long time ago ( 10-15 years ago ), there was a small transaction that wasn't me. I immediately rang Nationwide ( took a little while to get through ) & found out they were on it already . They had put another couple of dubious transactions on hold, and issued me with another card; I was quickly fully refunded. I reckon the Lakeside Harvester was responsible, they kept saying their card reader was faulty & took your card out of sight. Everyone ( I hope ) is wise to this scam now & my card never leaves my possession.
But on my Local Area Facebook page, they all go on about the Petrol station on the Daneholes Roundabout on Stanford Rd. This is apparently notorious for card cloning & yet the Ole Bill do nothing
Cool story Grandad, but greyhounds aunt got scammed by phone.
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

Proposition Joe wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:54 am Old Bill doing nothing is a key part of the problem, IMHO. Absolutely no disincentive for the crims at the moment, even if the person scammed gets their money back, it's the bank who stump up, they've got away with it Scott free. They either don't have the resources or inclination to follow up leads like where the money's actually gone to.
When most perpetrators of these scams are not in the UK it is very difficult for the police to do much.

Also, the victim has moved the money themselves, so it raises huge issues proving dishonesty for theft prosecution.

Once money has been taken out of recipient bank account, it is very hard to recover funds, especially if perpare outside UK.

Many other countries do not have anything like the money laundering rules and laws we have . Even if they do, you have to get the foreign countries to act, and Mutual Legal Assistance requests are very slow to be responded to So for example if UK trace funds to bank account in say Nigeria, by the time Nigeria respond yo the NLA request, funds are likely to no longer be in sane account and you are back to the start again
Mickys Bullock
Fresh Alias

Post by Mickys Bullock »

We’re all gullible, some more than others. I mean I believed the Covid scam for at least a minute 🤷‍♂️
CEB

Post by CEB »

The thing about the scams is a lot of people are like “lol how can people be so gullible? There’s loads of spelling mistakes in emails/the phone number is obviously dodgy” but, scaled up, that’s how it works - they don’t waste time on the people who notice the obvious red flags, and so the marks self select
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Absolutely MB. I was discussing the Covid scam with Elvis Presley the other day. My mates Uri Geller and David Icke agreed as well. I don't know why us Lizard people bother with all these sheeple, I really don't. Biddy-biddy beep.
CEB

Post by CEB »

Here we go…
Friend or faux
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Friend or faux »

About a mile from where I live, down a single track road, is a travellers site. Twenty years ago, most of them were " skilled " tree surgeons. Now they all whizz up this road in their roofers vans. About 5 lots of them. All look 100% legit. Obviously love their work as their clients are unable to see what they are up to.
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll
Awards: Tuffers

Post by Tuffers#2 »

BoniO wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:16 pm Absolutely MB. I was discussing the Covid scam with Elvis Presley the other day. My mates Uri Geller and David Icke agreed as well. I don't know why us Lizard people bother with all these sheeple, I really don't. Biddy-biddy beep.
Are agents J & K Still working ? Was Elvis back for a holiday or were you at his place ?
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

My Mrs got scammed when a guy phoned her and said he was a sergeant at old Kent road police station and there was a problem with her card , the stupid cow gave a courier they supposedly set her card and even gave her pin no to the so called policeman , the thing that piss3d me off most was that before I could stop the card they went to her bank ( Santander ) and drew a grand out of her account , my wife can only draw 500 at a time normally and when I queried this and asked to see CCTV of who drew the money out they refused to co operate and said it was the wife's fault , we've closed the account now ☹️
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Joe315 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:26 pm
BoniO wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:16 pm Absolutely MB. I was discussing the Covid scam with Elvis Presley the other day. My mates Uri Geller and David Icke agreed as well. I don't know why us Lizard people bother with all these sheeple, I really don't. Biddy-biddy beep.
Are agents J & K Still working ? Was Elvis back for a holiday or were you at his place ?
You know we can’t talk about J & K mate - I may have to upgrade the dose in the plane’s vapour trails to erase this from the sheeples consciousness. You know Elvis - he won’t leave his new pad on Mars these days 🤓
Redman
Fresh Alias

Post by Redman »

Because you haven’t been scammed it doesn’t mean you’re more aware of the possibility and are therefore guarded. It’s really that the scammer’s haven’t yet found a scam that will catch you out.
greyhound
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by greyhound »

Long slender neck wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:24 am Your aunt?

whatttt she is 97 :x
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

And she was rich? Cant take it with you.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Long slender neck wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:45 pm And she was rich? Cant take it with you.
Prove it.
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

It is easy to fall for scams, like when the fake Gas Man called on me to test the pipes and sent me upstairs to tap on them whilst he ransacked my home, took my valuables and scarpered. It was only later I realised i’d been duped as I live in a bungalow.
greyhound
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by greyhound »

Long slender neck wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:45 pm And she was rich? Cant take it with you.
its my inheritance.
97 and still doing handstands up the wall.
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

greyhound wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:27 pm
its my inheritance.
97 and still doing handstands up the wall.
Count her blessings?