ABANDONED GAME

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

bobo66
Fresh Alias

ABANDONED GAME

Post by bobo66 »

Just read on the BBC sport website, that it has not yet been decided if the match will be replayed on the result at the time stand. Surely when a match is abandoned it has to be replayed. I've never heard of a result at the time standing. I think Lincoln would have something to say about it.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Re: ABANDONED GAME

Post by Chief crazy horse »

I have known it somewhere along the line. But this will be replayed, no doubt.
LittleMate
Regular
Regular

Post by LittleMate »

If it had been abandoned on 84 minutes due to snow/rain I think that the result would have stood. This feels a bit different.
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll
Awards: Tuffers

Post by Tuffers#2 »

7 Times a game haas been abandoned & the result stood, famously Man city relegating United Dennis Law. Bradford fire , The Battle of Bramhall lane & Blackpool v Oyston Protest to name a few
Last edited by Tuffers#2 on Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Tuffers#2 »

LittleMate wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:34 pm If it had been abandoned on 84 minutes due to snow/rain I think that the result would have stood. This feels a bit different.
subs made in 92nd minute as well.
JimbO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by JimbO »

Think if it's a weather issue and something like an hour has been played then the result stands. as mentioned this is a bit different at 1-0 I would think that Lincoln would have every right to want the game to be replayed. If it had bee two or three then theirs more of basis to let the result stand.
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

JimbO wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:41 pm Think if it's a weather issue and something like an hour has been played then the result stands. as mentioned this is a bit different at 1-0 I would think that Lincoln would have every right to want the game to be replayed. If it had bee two or three then theirs more of basis to let the result stand.
Recent Scunthorpe v Buxton game was abandoned owing to rain after 96 mins played. Referee had indicated there was to be 8 mins of stoppage time

buxton were winning

Game was ordered to be replayed.

There is no rule about a result standing after x minutes. It is upto the individual competition to decide. Hence why in Holland they sometimes restart and play last few minutes, but not in England
The Reverend
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Reverend »

I think the Scunthorpe v Buxton game was abandoned quite late on recently and ended up being replayed. Something like 8 mins stoppage time had been called originally when Buxton were winning.

There’s no law about a result being valid just because a certain amount of time has been played.
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Tuffers#2 »

The Reverend wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:21 pm I think the Scunthorpe v Buxton game was abandoned quite late on recently and ended up being replayed. Something like 8 mins stoppage time had been called originally when Buxton were winning.

There’s no law about a result being valid just because a certain amount of time has been played.
You've just written exactly what spen66 wrote above you. Did you not see it ?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

He certainly did.
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Tuffers#2 »

Why would he repeat it ?
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Joe315 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:20 pm Why would he repeat it ?
IMBECILITY ?
Harlow
Fresh Alias

Post by Harlow »

For me, the logical and cost effective resolution is to play the last few minutes at Lincoln immediately prior to the away game with Lincoln
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Tuffers#2 »

The points can be awarded to us . I don't personally see the need to replay the game.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Joe315 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:37 pm 7 Times a game haas been abandoned & the result stood, famously Man city relegating United Dennis Law. Bradford fire , The Battle of Bramhall lane & Blackpool v Oyston Protest to name a few
They didn’t relegate United. Results elsewhere mean’t they were down regardless.
Jman
Fresh Alias

Post by Jman »

I’m pretty sure the EFL statement read that there could be an agreement between the teams to let the result stand.

In which case, obviously the ball is in Lincoln’s court. I don’t think them just agreeing to settle for the 1-0 defeat is completely out of the question, partly out of respect for the situation.
banqo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by banqo »

Jman wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:00 pm I’m pretty sure the EFL statement read that there could be an agreement between the teams to let the result stand.

In which case, obviously the ball is in Lincoln’s court. I don’t think them just agreeing to settle for the 1-0 defeat is completely out of the question, partly out of respect for the situation.
I would love to see this happen, but just can't see it .
ContrifibulatoryFred
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by ContrifibulatoryFred »

I think there is something wrong with the possibility of the Os benefitting from Tuesday’s tragic event.
Lincoln and their fans behaved with dignity and respect.
The game should be replayed
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Tuffers#2 »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:52 pm
Joe315 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:37 pm 7 Times a game haas been abandoned & the result stood, famously Man city relegating United Dennis Law. Bradford fire , The Battle of Bramhall lane & Blackpool v Oyston Protest to name a few
They didn’t relegate United. Results elsewhere mean’t they were down regardless.
United lost that day & teams above them won, meaning Uniteds last match was a dead fixture. Before Kick off that day United winning could have saved them being relegated. The Match was stopped after United fans stormed the pitch & tried to set the advertising boards on fire.
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Tuffers#2 »

Jman wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:00 pm I’m pretty sure the EFL statement read that there could be an agreement between the teams to let the result stand.

They were involved one of the previous un replayed abandoned games. The Tragic Bradford fire game. Whatever is decided it would be nice for a charitable fundraiser
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

I think we’ll be given the game personally. I don’t see them wanting to come all the way down here to play 8 mins plus injury time where the chances they’ll get anything out of the game any way are remote. And the other option, to replay the full game doesn’t seem particularly fair on us.
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Tuffers#2 »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:27 pm I think we’ll be given the game personally. I don’t see them wanting to come all the way down here to play 8 mins plus injury time where the chances they’ll get anything out of the game any way are remote. And the other option, to replay the full game doesn’t seem particularly fair on us.
And as Lincoln made substitutions in the 92nd minute, tecnically the game is done.
The Reverend
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Reverend »

Joe315 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:50 pm
The Reverend wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:21 pm I think the Scunthorpe v Buxton game was abandoned quite late on recently and ended up being replayed. Something like 8 mins stoppage time had been called originally when Buxton were winning.

I have Spen666 on foe. I don’t see what he posts. I would recommend that everyone on here does this.
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Tuffers#2 »

The Reverend wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:30 pm
Joe315 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:50 pm

I have Spen666 on foe. I don’t see what he posts. I would recommend that everyone on here does this.
so you can make a Tit of yourself saying almost verbatum what he wrote. I thought O's fans had a bit of backbone. Times change I guess.
o-no
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by o-no »

I think all this shows is that there’s no real precedent and we will have to wait for the EFL to make a decision that no one’s happy with.