Dutch game to be brought to a conclusion

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

B.whitehouse+10more
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Dutch game to be brought to a conclusion

Post by B.whitehouse+10more »

RKC Waalwijk v Ajax to be completed on 6 December after Etienne Vaessen knocked unconscious
Last updated on 10 hours
Screens were put up on the pitch as medical staff worked on Vaessen after the incident
The Dutch match between RKC Waalwijk and Ajax that was abandoned when keeper Etienne Vaessen was knocked unconscious will be completed on 6 December, with fans in attendance the remaining 6 mins and injury time will be played.

The Eredivisie game was abandoned in the 84th minute with Ajax leading 3-2 after the 28-year-old Dutchman collided with Ajax forward Brian Brobbey.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Dutch game to be brought to a conclusion

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

My friends at work were telling about that game this evening . They asked me what were we going to do . At the moment I have no idea but I'm assuming the whole game will need to be played again .
The Mindsweep
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Mindsweep »

The game ended because a supporter was dying. I don't feel either Lincoln or ourselves should try to replay the game. A point each with an agreement that our away fixture also results in a point each.
CEB

Post by CEB »

The Mindsweep wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:47 am The game ended because a supporter was dying. I don't feel either Lincoln or ourselves should try to replay the game. A point each with an agreement that our away fixture also results in a point each.
You think that the outcome of this should be sanctioned match fixing?
The Mindsweep
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Mindsweep »

CEB wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:57 am
The Mindsweep wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:47 am The game ended because a supporter was dying. I don't feel either Lincoln or ourselves should try to replay the game. A point each with an agreement that our away fixture also results in a point each.
Is there any topic that is not beyond your confrontational raison d'etre
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

Just my opinion, but the best method of playing the last 10 mins of Tuesday’s game would be to play the 10 mins before our away fixture at Lincoln later in the season.
There’s no perfect solution of course, but this seems the fairest way to me.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Ultimately I suppose it’s down to the EFL to decide what to do next
CEB

Post by CEB »

The Mindsweep wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:23 am
CEB wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:57 am

Is there any topic that is not beyond your confrontational raison d'etre
Why are you acting as if taking issue with your suggestion about how to deal with the on-field issues relating to this, is somehow beyond the pale? I’m just asking whether you’re seriously suggesting that match fixing should be the result of this, and whether you gave any thought to how other clubs might feel about the idea that even the reverse fixture, later in the season, should be pre-ordained as a draw.
Perhaps if you don’t want discussion about the football aspect, you shouldn’t make assertions about what should happen with the football aspect?
Friend or fart
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Friend or fart »

CEB :- Your response was somewhat aggressively phrased ( as per normal ). After all, match fixing is a criminal offence. I suggest a little forethought before hitting the keyboard.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Why on Earth should either side have to accept a draw and a non-played match (the return fixture) because the one on Tuesday wasn't completed? And, as CEB said (not that aggressively, IMHO), this opens the door to match fixing. Absolutely mental suggestion.
The Reverend
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Reverend »

It’s really not that complicated, is it?

The final 8 minutes + stoppage time should be played behind closed doors.

Alternatively, Lincoln could just concede to defeat but I see no reason why they would do that, nor should they really. The game was far from done and dusted by that point and they have every right to want to finish it.
CEB

Post by CEB »

Friend or faux wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:38 am CEB :- Your response was somewhat aggressively phrased ( as per normal ). After all, match fixing is a criminal offence. I suggest a little forethought before hitting the keyboard.

The sensible use of the knowledge that match fixing is a criminal offence is to note that therefore it isn’t sensible to suggest fixing the result of a match, not to say “you can’t call it match fixing when someone suggests that two clubs agree on the result of a match before it happens, because match fixing is illegal”
CEB

Post by CEB »

The Reverend wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:56 am It’s really not that complicated, is it?

Alternatively, Lincoln could just concede to defeat but I see no reason why they would do that, nor should they really. The game was far from done and dusted by that point and they have every right to want to finish it.
The only fair way is to see who can throw shoes over a pub. That’s the real match
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

You also have to consider the affect on other teams
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

CEB wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:56 am
Friend or faux wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:38 am CEB :- Your response was somewhat aggressively phrased ( as per normal ). After all, match fixing is a criminal offence. I suggest a little forethought before hitting the keyboard.

The sensible use of the knowledge that match fixing is a criminal offence is to note that therefore it isn’t sensible to suggest fixing the result of a match, not to say “you can’t call it match fixing when someone suggests that two clubs agree on the result of a match before it happens, because match fixing is illegal”
It's going to be a long day.
The Mindsweep
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Mindsweep »

CEB wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:00 am
The Reverend wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:56 am It’s really not that complicated, is it?

The only fair way is to see who can throw shoes over a pub. That’s the real match
As an aside, wonderful to see the actor playing the head of the US Armed Forces in the latest Sci-Fi blockbuster, The Creator, is none other than Finchy. Shame they couldn't find a roll for Todd Packer.
ContrifibulatoryFred
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by ContrifibulatoryFred »

I hope the game gets replayed. It would be a travesty for the Os to claim the result given the amount of time left and the awful events the Lincoln players and fans alike had to experience.
The Reverend
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Reverend »

CEB wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:00 am

Or a kettle
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Proposition Joe wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:43 am Why on Earth should either side have to accept a draw and a non-played match (the return fixture) because the one on Tuesday wasn't completed? And, as CEB said (not that aggressively, IMHO), this opens the door to match fixing. Absolutely mental suggestion.
I get the point about other teams not necessarily being overjoyed at deciding a final result but how exactly does this open the door to match fixing?
CEB

Post by CEB »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:22 pm
Proposition Joe wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:43 am Why on Earth should either side have to accept a draw and a non-played match (the return fixture) because the one on Tuesday wasn't completed? And, as CEB said (not that aggressively, IMHO), this opens the door to match fixing. Absolutely mental suggestion.
I get the point about other teams not necessarily being overjoyed at deciding a final result but how exactly does this open the door to match fixing?

“I get the point that some teams might object to the outcome of a match being pre-decided, but for the life of me I can’t see how this could in any way relate to match fixing”
CEB

Post by CEB »

Seriously, there really is a weird thing on this board where people just flat out don’t care about what might have been said prior to the post they’re replying to.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Also, why should Lincoln be penalised by missing out on gate receipts for one of their 23 home games? And their season pass holders getting 22 matches for the price of 23? Silly.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

I've never been to Lincoln. They tell me the Cathedral is worth a visit. Anyone know anything?
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

CEB wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:25 pm Seriously, there really is a weird thing on this board where people just flat out don’t care about what might have been said prior to the post they’re replying to.
I think I must have misread something…
This is a very specific and unique set of circumstances that isn’t anything akin to fixing the result of a fixture for gain by someone. Not sure it’ll catch on.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Proposition Joe wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:58 pm Also, why should Lincoln be penalised by missing out on gate receipts for one of their 23 home games? And their season pass holders getting 22 matches for the price of 23? Silly.
Has anyone suggested we just decide the away fixture against Lincoln is a draw?