What is the answer to this knife crime misery?

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Re: What is the answer to this knife crime misery?

Post by Proposition Joe »

Friend or faux wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:08 pm I hope all you punters on here, with a drug habit, realise that you to a certain extent fuel all this violence between the youngsters ( although the most recent case is something else ). Two in the statistics for teenagers murdered, were shot dead.
Ah, advocating for a reform of the drug laws and a push for decriminalisation? Excellent, something we agree on.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Proposition Joe wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:45 pm
Friend or faux wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:08 pm I hope all you punters on here, with a drug habit, realise that you to a certain extent fuel all this violence between the youngsters ( although the most recent case is something else ). Two in the statistics for teenagers murdered, were shot dead.
Ah, advocating for a reform of the drug laws and a push for decriminalisation? Excellent, something we agree on.
Whilst England debates it, Glasgow has been given the go-ahead to open a drug consumption room where you can bring your own drugs and take them under medical supervision.
Friend or fart
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Friend or fart »

PJ:- If you want to lock yourself up in a drug room & fill your body with alien substances I am all for it. Pure Darwinism at work.
Friend or fart
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Friend or fart »

Doesn't take long to flush out the Boarders with a penchant for illegal substances does it? All queuing up to deny the link between teenage violence and drugs. Funnily enough most of the prominent supercilious Boarders too.
CEB

Post by CEB »

lol you daft sod. My drug taking amounts to having one puff of a cigarette once in my late twenties. Having a pothead dad put me right off personally. You’re still totally wrong though
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll
Awards: Tuffers

Post by Tuffers#2 »

Friend or faux wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:05 pm Doesn't take long to flush out the Boarders with a penchant for illegal substances does it? All queuing up to deny the link between teenage violence and drugs. Funnily enough most of the prominent supercilious Boarders too.
I thought Alcohol was still the leading link to violence amongst teenagers ?
Wally Banter
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Wally Banter »

Friend or faux wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:05 pm Doesn't take long to flush out the Boarders with a penchant for illegal substances does it? All queuing up to deny the link between teenage violence and drugs. Funnily enough most of the prominent supercilious Boarders too.
If you can think of a better way than coke for Prop Joe to get up for his cage fights, we'd all love to hear it.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

I live in hope that you're an alias doing a bit because otherwise you talk absolute garbage on an incredibly frequent basis.
Friend or fart
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Friend or fart »

Joe315:-I thought Alcohol was still the leading link to violence amongst teenagers ?
From Alcohol Change UK ( UK Govt strangely coy on alcohol addiction statistics [ Could tax revenues be a factor ] )

In England there are an estimated 602,391 dependent drinkers. Only 18% are receiving treatment.

24% of adults in England and Scotland regularly drink over the Chief Medical Officer’s low-risk guidelines , and 27% of drinkers in Great Britain binge drink on their heaviest drinking days (over 8 units for men and over 6 units for women) .
In 2017, 20% of the population reported not drinking at all and overall consumption has fallen by around 16% since 2004 .
In the UK, data shows that in 2020 there were 8,974 alcohol-specific deaths (around 14 per 100,000 people). This is a 18.6% increase in deaths from 2019 .
In England, there are an estimated 602,391 dependent drinkers (2018.19) , of whom 82% are not receiving treatment.
Alcohol misuse is the biggest risk factor for death, ill-health and disability among 15-49 year-olds in the UK, and the fifth biggest risk factor across all ages .
From 2009 to 2019, the price of alcohol decreased by 5% relative to retail prices and became 13% more affordable than in 2008. Alcohol is 74% more affordable than it was in 1987
I think alcohol can be defined as a drug that if misused can cause dependency.
CEB

Post by CEB »

^ FoF channeling Roger Irrelevant
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll
Awards: Tuffers

Post by Tuffers#2 »

Friend or faux wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:36 pm Joe315:-I thought Alcohol was still the leading link to violence amongst teenagers ?
From Alcohol Change UK ( UK Govt strangely coy on alcohol addiction statistics [ Could tax revenues be a factor ] )

In England there are an estimated 602,391 dependent drinkers. Only 18% are receiving treatment.

24% of adults in England and Scotland regularly drink over the Chief Medical Officer’s low-risk guidelines , and 27% of drinkers in Great Britain binge drink on their heaviest drinking days (over 8 units for men and over 6 units for women) .
In 2017, 20% of the population reported not drinking at all and overall consumption has fallen by around 16% since 2004 .
In the UK, data shows that in 2020 there were 8,974 alcohol-specific deaths (around 14 per 100,000 people). This is a 18.6% increase in deaths from 2019 .
In England, there are an estimated 602,391 dependent drinkers (2018.19) , of whom 82% are not receiving treatment.
Alcohol misuse is the biggest risk factor for death, ill-health and disability among 15-49 year-olds in the UK, and the fifth biggest risk factor across all ages .
From 2009 to 2019, the price of alcohol decreased by 5% relative to retail prices and became 13% more affordable than in 2008. Alcohol is 74% more affordable than it was in 1987
I think alcohol can be defined as a drug that if misused can cause dependency.
A Legal drug , which one assumes is legal because causes no harm unlike ilegal drugs ?
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Friend or faux wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:36 pm Joe315:-I thought Alcohol was still the leading link to violence amongst teenagers ?

No one else think that's a remarkably f*cking precise number for an "estimate"? Who writes this stuff?
CEB

Post by CEB »

The 602,392nd dependent drinker forgot to fill out the survey
Scuba Diver
Fresh Alias

Post by Scuba Diver »

Max B Gold wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:27 pm
Whilst England debates it, Glasgow has been given the go-ahead to open a drug consumption room where you can bring your own drugs and take them under medical supervision.
This has to be worth a try, at least.

I do recall a centre in Bethnal Green, that was a "wet house" for alcoholics that were street drinkers. I think C4 did a documentary on it. They were all late-stage alcoholics. About 12 of 'em. I think between the conclusion of filming, and the programme going out, a period of 8-10 weeks, about 4 of them were dead.

In the same way, late-stage drug addicts are essentially helpless beings, to a degree. Criminalising them won't help them (or society) at all.
For same reason, I would support the decriminalisation of drugs- to remove the gangster element. Drug dealers stab and shoot each other up for one reason - money.
You don't see people doing the same for a 12 pack of Stella.
As a non-drinker and drug taker, I have no vested interest in this happening but feel the current situation is out of control. The "war on drugs" is long since lost.
greyhound
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by greyhound »

it seems most knife crimes are teenagers
put them in the army for a minimum of 5 years
making sure that they are given a hard time.
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Daily Express bot »

Scuba Diver wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:25 pm
Max B Gold wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:27 pm

This has to be worth a try, at least.

I do recall a centre in Bethnal Green, that was a "wet house" for alcoholics that were street drinkers. I think C4 did a documentary on it. They were all late-stage alcoholics. About 12 of 'em. I think between the conclusion of filming, and the programme going out, a period of 8-10 weeks, about 4 of them were dead.

In the same way, late-stage drug addicts are essentially helpless beings, to a degree. Criminalising them won't help them (or society) at all.
For same reason, I would support the decriminalisation of drugs- to remove the gangster element. Drug dealers stab and shoot each other up for one reason - money.
You don't see people doing the same for a 12 pack of Stella.
As a non-drinker and drug taker, I have no vested interest in this happening but feel the current situation is out of control. The "war on drugs" is long since lost.
Drugs were not involved last week in the stabbing of 15 year old schoolgirl, reports say she was trying to take her friend’s Teddy Bear off the suspect.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

In answer to the opening post…nothing can be done because it’s now all too late. It’s a mindset that now can’t be undone. It’s only going to carry on or even get worse. Things in society have been allowed to drift away and this is the consequence. Before somebody mentions poverty, we were always skint in the sixties and seventies but you could count the amount of stabbings on one hand for the entire country yearly
Neptune's Spear
Fresh Alias

Post by Neptune's Spear »

The bottom line is, there is no answer to knife crime.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Neptune's Spear wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:15 am The bottom line is, there is no answer to knife crime.
Exactly. I was just thinking years ago if somebody got stabbed it used to be big headlines in the Hackney Gazette.Now stabbings are ten a penny they only warrant a dozen lines somewhere inside. It would now be more newsworthy if the headlines read “ Nobody stabbed in Hackney this week “.
ChorizO
Fresh Alias

Post by ChorizO »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:13 am In answer to the opening post…nothing can be done because it’s now all too late. It’s a mindset that now can’t be undone. It’s only going to carry on or even get worse. Things in society have been allowed to drift away and this is the consequence. Before somebody mentions poverty, we were always skint in the sixties and seventies but you could count the amount of stabbings on one hand for the entire country yearly
Do you think 13 years of a Conservative govt spreading fear, despair and helplessness has anything to do with it?
greyhound
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by greyhound »

no its thirteen years of lawyers making bundles
and do-gooders stopping every thing that
parliament put forward.get rid of
the human rights law.
Daily Express bot
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Daily Express bot »

ChorizO wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:10 pm
RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:13 am In answer to the opening post…nothing can be done because it’s now all too late. It’s a mindset that now can’t be undone. It’s only going to carry on or even get worse. Things in society have been allowed to drift away and this is the consequence. Before somebody mentions poverty, we were always skint in the sixties and seventies but you could count the amount of stabbings on one hand for the entire country yearly
Do you think 13 years of a Conservative govt spreading fear, despair and helplessness has anything to do with it?
Knife crime did not stop when Labour were in power for 13 years from 1997.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Neptune's Spear wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:15 am The bottom line is, there is no answer to knife crime.
Yes. We should all get a knife to protect ourselves. Then there would be no knife crime.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Kids are dying let's do nothing. :clown
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

There's certainly no quick, easy or cheap answers to this.

We have a section of society who do not feel like they have any stake in it. A complete absence of anything remotely approaching a social contract. It is coupled with a disregard for their own lives and freedom, and that of others. And it's now mutil-generational.

Breaking this will be very hard, take many years and require a societal commitment towards the time, energy and investment. I think we're f*cked.