One Day Travelcards

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Highwood Man
Fresh Alias

One Day Travelcards

Post by Highwood Man »

I've just read an article in the Evening Standard that says that Sadiq Khan is planning to axe One Day Travelcards on the tubes and buses with effect from January.

This seems like another crazy idea to me. Surely we should be encouraging people to come into central London by public transport rather than discouraging them from doing so by making it more expensive.
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll
Awards: Tuffers

Re: One Day Travelcards

Post by Tuffers#2 »

daily travelcard zone 1=6 is £15.40 & a pay as you go oyster card charge is capped at £14.90. No need for travelcards.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

You can just use your contactless card now, a paper Travelcard is redundant.
ChorizO
Fresh Alias

Post by ChorizO »

Highwood Man wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:36 am I've just read an article in the Evening Standard that says that Sadiq Khan is planning to axe One Day Travelcards on the tubes and buses with effect from January.

This seems like another crazy idea to me. Surely we should be encouraging people to come into central London by public transport rather than discouraging them from doing so by making it more expensive.
No point living in the past. He is pushing progress which is logical and sensible. In fact, he is making decisions for tomorrow and not today.

A politician of our times.
KenleyO
Fresh Alias

Post by KenleyO »

Long slender neck wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:52 am You can just use your contactless card now, a paper Travelcard is redundant.
Except it isn't if you live in zone 6, and travel by train. I travel with my son and use a Friends and Family Railcard.
The cost for my trip to Brizzie will go from £12.90 to £16.60
Thanks a lot Khan!
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

KenleyO wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:31 pm
Long slender neck wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:52 am You can just use your contactless card now, a paper Travelcard is redundant.
Except it isn't if you live in zone 6, and travel by train. I travel with my son and use a Friends and Family Railcard.
Thanks a lot Khan!
I have travelled from zone 6 to a game many times using contactless, costs about a fiver return.

Sounds like you're doing something wrong.
KenleyO
Fresh Alias

Post by KenleyO »

Long slender neck wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:35 pm
Thanks a lot Khan!
I have travelled from zone 6 to a game many times using contactless, costs about a fiver return.

Contactless Zone 6 to Zone 1 single is peak £9.40 off peak £6.40. The only way to do it cheaper is to avoid zone 1 which is then peak £5.10 or off peak £3.50. This is not practical where I live, especially on evening kick offs.
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Tuffers#2 »

KenleyO wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:42 pm
Thanks a lot Khan!

Contactless Zone 6 to Zone 1 single is peak £9.40 off peak £6.40. The only way to do it cheaper is to avoid zone 1 which is then peak £5.10 or off peak £3.50. This is not practical where I live, especially on evening kick offs.
Oyster card is £3.40 off peak & £5.90 peak. Some people love wasting money travelling zone 1-6.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Thanks a lot Khan!

But Leyton isnt in zone 1.
The Reverend
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by The Reverend »

Long slender neck wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:51 pm

But Leyton isnt in zone 1.
It’s Sadiq Khans fault that this bloke can’t plan his travel route properly 🤣
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

ChorizO wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:04 pm
Highwood Man wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:36 am I've just read an article in the Evening Standard that says that Sadiq Khan is planning to axe One Day Travelcards on the tubes and buses with effect from January.

No point living in the past. He is pushing progress which is logical and sensible. In fact, he is making decisions for tomorrow and not today.

A politician of our times.
Yes, a truly great man.
KenleyO
Fresh Alias

Post by KenleyO »

You really are a juvenille lot aren't you. I live in Zone 6 and to get to Leyton and have to go via zone 1, unless I want a 45 minute detour.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Why? What station are you starting from?
The Reverend
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by The Reverend »

KenleyO wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:00 pm You really are a juvenille lot aren't you. I live in Zone 6 and to get to Leyton and have to go via zone 1, unless I want a 45 minute detour.
And it’s Sadiq Khans fault that you choose to live in a place miles away from the football club that you support?
KenleyO
Fresh Alias

Post by KenleyO »

I was born in Walthamstow, and have lived all round London. Orient is the only club I support and have been going since 1980. I currently live in Kenley, but can use Upper Warlingham as well. The point of public transport is to move people arround effciently and at a reasonable cost. Bear in mind all the fares quoted are before the no doubt inflation busting rise that will happen in January. It is probably true that it is probably cheaper to drive, but that kind of defeats the point doesn't it.
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Tuffers#2 »

Long slender neck wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:00 pm Why? What station are you starting from?
probably kenley , its past croydon town centre. 3 overground trains . All covered with oyster card & capped at £14.90, which wouldnt be the cost of his return Journey.
The Reverend
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by The Reverend »

KenleyO wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:08 pm I was born in Walthamstow, and have lived all round London. Orient is the only club I support and have been going since 1980. I currently live in Kenley, but can use Upper Warlingham as well. The point of public transport is to move people arround effciently and at a reasonable cost. Bear in mind all the fares quoted are before the no doubt inflation busting rise that will happen in January. It is probably true that it is probably cheaper to drive, but that kind of defeats the point doesn't it.
And it’s Sadiq Khans fault that you live in Kenley?
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Tuffers#2 »

KenleyO wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:08 pm I was born in Walthamstow, and have lived all round London. Orient is the only club I support and have been going since 1980. I currently live in Kenley, but can use Upper Warlingham as well. The point of public transport is to move people arround effciently and at a reasonable cost. Bear in mind all the fares quoted are before the no doubt inflation busting rise that will happen in January. It is probably true that it is probably cheaper to drive, but that kind of defeats the point doesn't it.
Have you heard of an Oyster card ?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

I'm not an expert, but will you not hit a payg cap still? Are you saying the cap is higher than what you currently pay because you have a Railcard discount?
KenleyO
Fresh Alias

Post by KenleyO »

Yes I will hit the PAYG cap as I sometimes have to get a bus as the trains are so crap from Purley, but I will no longer be able to use the Friends and Family pass which I get discount for the whole ticket.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Is it the rail company that sells the Travelcard and not tfl?
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Tuffers#2 »

KenleyO wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:26 pm Yes I will hit the PAYG cap as I sometimes have to get a bus as the trains are so crap from Purley, but I will no longer be able to use the Friends and Family pass which I get discount for the whole ticket.
Oyster card covers you to caterham. I dont understand why you would pay more when you have a cheaper alternative available
HenleyO
Fresh Alias

Post by HenleyO »

I grew up living in Kenley 👍🏻😁
Tuffers#2
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Tuffers#2 »

HenleyO wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:44 pm
I grew up living in Kenley 👍🏻😁
Can you tell your Dad to get an Oyster Card !
KenleyO
Fresh Alias

Post by KenleyO »

An Oyster card is no cheaper than contactless so why bother