Beeb Gags Lineker

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Beeb Gags Lineker

Post by Max B Gold »

Give it to Jabo wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:37 am Like too many issues, this has turned to more or less pointless MB in-fighting.
And what is your problem with that caller?
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Beradogs wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:17 am They use the language because there are a rump of 10-15% of the population that float between the Tories and whatever hard right party are in vogue at the time. If the Tories can’t get them onboard they can’t win elections. It’s no different to Starmer who will take a knee and not define a women in deference to the left wing but in reality his flag is firmly planted in the centre ground. The issue with politics in this country is that floating voters in a tiny number of constituencies decide elections. Perhaps that’s not an issue. It keeps people like me well away from parliament.
Agree with what you say though.
No different?

What real world harm could be caused by taking the knee or not defining a woman?

The rhetoric of the right causes divisions and fuels hate. Which, although not directly connected to this bill, gives rise to anti semitism as well, like we are seeing in this country. It causes fear of others which has very real world impacts on those people and anyone else considered an ‘other’
CEB

Post by CEB »

“ What real world harm could be caused by taking the knee or not defining a woman?”

Those examples aren’t equivalent.
The answers are
“None” and “lots” respectively
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Oh oh!!
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Guess who's back?
Back again.
Terfy's back.
Tell they/them.
CEB

Post by CEB »

Heh. I don’t bring it up, but when there’s obvious nonsense I’ll put people right on the points on which they’re unsure…
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Still havent posted any evidence of the 'comparable rhetoric used by Germany in the 1930's' though.
CEB

Post by CEB »

That sounds a lot like you’re suggesting that you’re not aware of scaremongering rhetoric about immigration coming out of Germany in the 30s.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Suella on her bill to stop immigrants:

‘The vast majority were adult males under the age of 40, rich enough to pay criminal gangs thousands of pounds for passage'.

'By some counts there are 100million people around the world who could qualify for protection under our current laws.’

‘Waves of illegal arrivals breaching our borders’.
CEB

Post by CEB »

TRUMP Plumbing wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:47 am Suella on her bill to stop immigrants:

‘The vast majority were adult males under the age of 40, rich enough to pay criminal gangs thousands of pounds for passage'.

'By some counts there are 100million people around the world who could qualify for protection under our current laws.’

The weird thing is, Caca isn’t doubting that; instead he’s sceptical of claims that there was “not dissimilar” stuff in Germany in the thirties, which is a bit weird. “Prove that 1930s Germany was as hostile as this government” is certainly a bold approach…
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

I think it'd be useful to see an evidenced comparison. It'd be quite powerful to see or read a comparison. For example, did Hitler stand at a podium with 'stop the jews' emblazoned across it?

Linekers comments have been described on here as 'fact', so I dont know why you're reluctant to post the source to back that up. Politicians have since been in the press saying "I don't think anybody is defending that tweet"
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

CEB wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:49 am
TRUMP Plumbing wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:47 am Suella on her bill to stop immigrants:

The weird thing is, Caca isn’t doubting that; instead he’s sceptical of claims that there was “not dissimilar” stuff in Germany in the thirties, which is a bit weird. “Prove that 1930s Germany was as hostile as this government” is certainly a bold approach…
No you've got it wrong, I think 1930's Germany was a lot worse, of course it was. So Lineker saying its 'comparable' is just not on.
CEB

Post by CEB »

So, to be clear, you’re looking for examples of rhetoric that’s less bad than the worst rhetoric?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

"comparable"

Are you now saying the rhetoric is not comparable?
CEB

Post by CEB »

I’m saying it *is* comparable. So it’s for you to find the examples of 1930s rhetoric from Germany that’s far worse than what Lineker drew attention to.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Why would I hunt around for evidence to backup something you're saying? You're saying its comparable, you find the examples.
CEB

Post by CEB »

Why? I don’t actually care whether you agree. If you’re currently content to believe that Lineker’s comparison was inappropriate, that’s fine by me
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Its a shame you cant produce the facts to backup your claims. Looks like I won this one.
CEB

Post by CEB »

I guess so
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

CEB wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:46 am That sounds a lot like you’re suggesting that you’re not aware of scaremongering rhetoric about immigration coming out of Germany in the 30s.
It's worse than just hating immigrants and saying bad stuff about them. They started murdering their fellow Jerries!!

For 1930s anti immigrant and antisemitic evidence check out the RW UK press of the period.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Long slender neck wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:31 pm Its a shame you cant produce the facts to backup your claims. Looks like I won this one.
And that ^ - after all - is what really matters these days.
Friend or fart
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Friend or fart »

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
There are 2 or 3 self obsessed persons who make this Board most tiresome. Why don't you play on Playstation or whatever it is kiddies use nowadays!
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

You really added to the conversation there, well done.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Friend or faux wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:07 pm ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
There are 2 or 3 self obsessed persons who make this Board most tiresome. Why don't you play on Playstation or whatever it is kiddies use nowadays!
There are 6 of them.
Gary's Big Brother
Fresh Alias

Post by Gary's Big Brother »

Seven now that I am a free man again bro.