Well, That Will Give Her Some Relief!

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Friend or faux
Fresh Alias

Well, That Will Give Her Some Relief!

Post by Friend or faux »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-64879662

Wrongly hanged woman set to be exonerated for her alleged crimes. All those ghouls out there who believe in hanging ought to read up this mis-carriage of justice.
Harlow
Fresh Alias

Re: Well, That Will Give Her Some Relief!

Post by Harlow »

What a waste of money. And, yes, i do support hanging, modern forensic evidence provides conclusive evidence
The Mindsweep
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Mindsweep »

Harlow wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:21 pm What a waste of money. And, yes, i do support hanging, modern forensic evidence provides conclusive evidence
Have a look at the countries that currently have the death penalty. Do you seriously believe its a good idea to be aligned with them.
CEB

Post by CEB »

The Mindsweep wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:29 pm
Harlow wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:21 pm What a waste of money. And, yes, i do support hanging, modern forensic evidence provides conclusive evidence
Have a look at the countries that currently have the death penalty. Do you seriously believe its a good idea to be aligned with them.
I’m anti death penalty, but the way to work out an ethical position isn’t to do the opposite of a faction that you consider wrong, but to actually scrutinise the position itself. The ethical wrongness of the death penalty doesn’t require pointing at the countries that have it
The Mindsweep
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Mindsweep »

CEB wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:50 pm
The Mindsweep wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:29 pm
I’m anti death penalty, but the way to work out an ethical position isn’t to do the opposite of a faction that you consider wrong, but to actually scrutinise the position itself. The ethical wrongness of the death penalty doesn’t require pointing at the countries that have it
Agreed, but with some it's hard to know where to begin with trying to have a reasoned debate. My response was 'oh here we go again" to the with modern forensics etc. Personally I can never see the justification for the death penalty, its plays on people's desire for simplistic solutions. You don't need to research very far to see how those countries whose criminal justice system is based on punishment eg the USA, compare to those that have rehabilitation eg Norway at their core. Its clear which method produces the safest society to live in.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

The idea that the death penalty is in any way a deterrent has been so regularly and comprehensively debunked that anyone who trots out that argument is making a conscious decision to believe something that is demonstrably untrue.
Petrov788
Fresh Alias

Post by Petrov788 »

The more the state exercises violence against it's people, it always in turn increases violence in a society.
Loyal_Supporter
Fresh Alias

Post by Loyal_Supporter »

I'm against the death penalty...it's the easy way out for the guilty in my opinion.
Give it to Jabo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Give it to Jabo »

Let me guess: Farage is in favour of its re-introduction?
Friend or faux
Fresh Alias

Post by Friend or faux »

Harlow obviously didn't want to bother reading about this awful, awful miscarriage of justice, which happened locally. Obviously felt it would interfere with his toxic, prejudiced viewpoint.
FrankOFile
Fresh Alias

Post by FrankOFile »

Lee Anderson is in favour of it.
For anyone undecided on this issue, ponder that.
CEB

Post by CEB »

No, just ponder on the fact that, as PJ said, it’s effectiveness as a deterrent is thoroughly debunked and that the continuing occurrences of miscarriages of justice mean that the state would be killing innocent people.

It’s so, so dull seeing “think the opposite to bad people!” rather than “use the fact you have a brain to work out what you think”
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Its not a deterrent, its a way to get rid of people who cannot be rehabilitated or who have committed the worst crimes.
CEB

Post by CEB »

Long slender neck wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:52 am Its not a deterrent, its a way to get rid of people who cannot be rehabilitated or who have committed the worst crimes.

If only there were another way of separating the worst criminals out from society
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

There is but whats the point?
CEB

Post by CEB »

Long slender neck wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:55 am There is but whats the point?
I’ll only answer that question if you have a crack at thinking of a good answer to it yourself. If you’ve read even this thread, you’d have to be particularly stupid to not be able to come up with at least a vague understanding of why some might maintain it’s not a great idea for society to kill criminals.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

We're talking about 'the worst criminals', dont move the goalposts.
The Reverend
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by The Reverend »

I think that voluntary execution should be offered. This is where those who have committed the worst crimes and are serving life sentences. If they reach a point where they would rather eradicate themselves than spend the rest of their existence in prison they can request to be executed.

Everyone is a winner.
CEB

Post by CEB »

Long slender neck wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:02 am We're talking about 'the worst criminals', dont move the goalposts.
Same applies. Why might it be a bad idea to kill “the worst criminals”?

Clue: think about why this thread exists
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

In case they're not guilty, but what about if its proven? What about someone like Anders Brevik?

I dont need clues, you patronising prat.
Orient_Man_And_Boy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Orient_Man_And_Boy »

The Reverend wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:03 am I think that voluntary execution should be offered. This is where those who have committed the worst crimes and are serving life sentences. If they reach a point where they would rather eradicate themselves than spend the rest of their existence in prison they can request to be executed.

Everyone is a winner.
But surely this would need to be built upon 'life' meaning literally, and unequivocally, 'there is no parole, you WILL die in prison'?

I would have thought a true 'life sentence' would be a deterent?
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Long slender neck wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:40 am In case they're not guilty, but what about if its proven?

Good point. Only kill the proven cases. If the case is unproven, just stick them in prison.
CEB

Post by CEB »

Long slender neck wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:40 am In case they're not guilty, but what about if its proven? What about someone like Anders Brevik?

I dont need clues, you patronising prat.

What do you think a criminal trial tries to establish?
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Are you saying no case can ever be 100% proven?
CEB

Post by CEB »

Long slender neck wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:48 am Are you saying no case can ever be 100% proven?
Can you provide the meaningful distinction between a case you believe to be 99% proven and 100% proven, and clarify whether you believe the death penalty appropriate for only one?