Woke watch.

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Re: Woke watch.

Post by StillSpike »

CEB wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:42 pm
StillSpike wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:35 pm
CEB wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:17 pm Imagine dismissing out of hand the idea that this is misogyny
It certainly seems very wrong. At the risk of displaying my own ignorance - please can you explain (to an oldish and not terribly with it) person, how this is misogyny.
Because he claims to be a woman. Literally a woman. And is part of an activism that demonises women who recognise that he is male
So is it a bit like blackface?
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

CEB wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:43 pm And yes, it’s a man with a penis. Though he claims to be a woman. He certainly seems to be experiencing distress at the mismatch between his sex and his gender identity, right?
I’m a daft old, out of touch, fuddy duddy but I don’t understand how you can be a woman and have a penis?

I have no issue with people having penises and boobs simultaneously, by the way, I’m pretty much one myself these days.
CEB

Post by CEB »

You can’t be a woman and have a penis. The whole issue is about redefining “woman” to mean “person who says they are a woman”, including males. The only time this activism thinks that hormones and surgery are necessary to live one’s best life - and to legally be regarded as literally a member of the opposite sex - is when they’re trying to say that effeminate young boys need puberty blockers and that teenage lesbians need their tits cut off
CEB

Post by CEB »

The interesting thing is that there are people on this forum that won’t be prepared to say “that person is male, you can tell by his penis”. The more vocal activists would actually say that because the penis belongs to someone who is a woman, it’s therefore a female penis.
The Mindsweep
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Mindsweep »

CEB wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:48 pm The interesting thing is that there are people on this forum that won’t be prepared to say “that person is male, you can tell by his penis”. The more vocal activists would actually say that because the penis belongs to someone who is a woman, it’s therefore a female penis.
CEB, I'm not actually referring to the particular quote above and this is the first time I have contributed anything to this thread. Its obvious from this thread and other interactions on here and other social media that you are fully engaged with the trands debate. In other matters and topics, not this one, the views you express are normally similar to my own and it has surprised me that you have total commitment in your particular view on this subject. The debate has exploded over the last few years and an ongoing learning curve, with many having views that evolve and change.
I don't know why I feel I need to say this, but your view is very entrenched and seems to have no chance whatsoever of any movement. Maybe this particular forum isn't the best for this debate as your standard of debate is always very very good and its surprising that you choose to debate this on here where the chance to enhance your own understanding is very limited.
CEB

Post by CEB »

My view on this subject has evolved and changed. I talk about it because very few understand it. I understand it because I became horrified by what is happening while people with a casual understanding assume that it’s analogous to gay rights.
My views would be subject to change if I hear good arguments - in the absence of any (after looking) I’m convinced - and currently being proved right - that there are several scandals happening.

When this topic is discussed, I personally think that having people who understand it well contributing is a good thing - I’d recommend reading the first few pages of the trans thread itself to see how there’s a casual brushing away of initial questions raised about some of this, by people who turned out not to have anything to say.

I agree that I’m a bit focused on it, and get it’s not a subject people want to discuss. I wouldn’t personally have brought up the current talking point of the singer thing, because it’s a “and now THIS” type story - it highlights what I already have said, it’s nothing new. But what I really feel strongly about is the medicalisation of children and the homophobic, safeguarding nightmare that is mermaids.

My values are that I call out misogyny & sexism, and my background is in working with children. It’s very easy for me to call out this stuff when it’s criticising the right wing, criticising obviously regressive ideas. But I’ve honestly been amazed and disappointed by how people I broadly agree with will not actually look closely enough to decide what they think about this. It’s not actually complicated.
CEB

Post by CEB »

Also - and I’m not having a dig here. But you’re careful to say you’re not referring to my quote. And that’s kind of what’s frustrating - my quote *is* the crux of the trans debate. But nobody can actually tell me why my refusal to believe that a man with a penis is a woman is taboo among progressives. So I don’t tiptoe around it, I maintain that men redefining what a woman is, is an act of misogyny. And that when those same men who say “I can have a willy and be a woman” say “children need to have puberty blockers to stop them developing the wrong body” I call out the incoherence and the implications of granting children the capacity to alter their bodies irreversibly.

You actually seem like the most intellectually curious about, if not the issue, my motivation for posting about it. I do wonder why you think that having a well developed view should mean I sit out the threads about it
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

CEB wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:30 pm Also - and I’m not having a dig here. But you’re careful to say you’re not referring to my quote. And that’s kind of what’s frustrating - my quote *is* the crux of the trans debate. But nobody can actually tell me why my refusal to believe that a man with a penis is a woman is taboo among progressives. So I don’t tiptoe around it, I maintain that men redefining what a woman is, is an act of misogyny. And that when those same men who say “I can have a willy and be a woman” say “children need to have puberty blockers to stop them developing the wrong body” I call out the incoherence and the implications of granting children the capacity to alter their bodies irreversibly.

You actually seem like the most intellectually curious about, if not the issue, my motivation for posting about it. I do wonder why you think that having a well developed view should mean I sit out the threads about it
Is there such a thing as gender dysphoria?

Can you answer yes or no please. Nobody, least of all this MB, needs a 1,500 word essay on it.
CEB

Post by CEB »

Yes. Obviously. I know people who live with it.
faldO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by faldO »

The Great British Bake Off scraps national-themed weeks after criticism

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66689042

After Mexican week, there were accusations of casual racism and stereotypes because the hosts wore sombreros, used maracas and spoke in Spanish accents.

:lol:
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

What's woke about this? There's no need to stop doing it, just don't do it in a sh*t way, which they did last time. Pretty straightforward to get people to bake something to a theme without being an egg about it.
faldO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by faldO »

Proposition Joe wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:17 pm What's woke about this? There's no need to stop doing it, just don't do it in a sh*t way, which they did last time.
But they have stopped doing it. Executive producer Kieran Smith told the Guardian: "We're not doing any national themes this year." C4, unsurprisingly, have bowed down to pressure from a few people who complained about racism where none was intended or present.

Bake off is a light entertainment programme, hosted by a couple of comedians, with a big slice of self-deprecation in it. Who honestly would have been offended by people wearing sombreros and shaking maracas on a mexican-themed episode, let alone taken it to be racist? If it was done in a "sh*t way", as you say, then so what, just hit the off-button.

As Prue said, "The thing about Bake Off is that it absolutely represents inclusivity and diversity and tolerance and togetherness. So the idea that we set out to insult anybody is ridiculous."
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

They might not have set out to, but they might have done. Again, what's woke about that? They don't need to be a martyr, just accept something was perhaps ill-judged (and unfunny) and do better.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

faldO wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:40 pmWho honestly would have been offended by people wearing sombreros and shaking maracas on a mexican-themed episode?"
Maybe Mexicans.
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

I wonder how many Mexicans complained or is it non Mexicans being offended on their behalf
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

Max Fowler wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:04 pm
faldO wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:40 pmWho honestly would have been offended by people wearing sombreros and shaking maracas on a mexican-themed episode?"
Maybe Mexicans.
Where is the offensive in wearing a sombrero?
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

I wonder how many people actually asked for the segment to be discontinued. Probably none.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

faldO wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:40 pm
As Prue said, "The thing about Bake Off is that it absolutely represents inclusivity and diversity and tolerance and togetherness. So the idea that we set out to insult anybody is ridiculous."
Staggered that an 80 year old toff doesn't get it.
oxo
Fresh Alias

Post by oxo »

Also, will anyone actually be upset that there won’t be a nation-themed episode in the next series? It’s not like they’ve pulled the programme or sacked anyone. I doubt anyone would even have noticed of it weren’t for the clickbait headlines
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Story of O wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:06 pm
Max Fowler wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:04 pm
Maybe Mexicans.
Where is the offensive in wearing a sombrero?
Or doing a Span-eesh akk-sent, holmes? Is all gooood.
faldO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by faldO »

Proposition Joe wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:07 pm I wonder how many people actually asked for the segment to be discontinued. Probably none.
That is EXACTLY why to cancel it is woke.
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

I don't really think that's what woke means but if it gives you something to get mad about, you do you.
faldO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by faldO »

Proposition Joe wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:20 pm I don't really think that's what woke means but if it gives you something to get mad about, you do you.
:lol:

You do you as well.
CEB

Post by CEB »

Story of O wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:05 pm I wonder how many Mexicans complained or is it non Mexicans being offended on their behalf
To be fair, they might have been offended but not complained due to laziness
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

CEB wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:34 pm
Story of O wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:05 pm I wonder how many Mexicans complained or is it non Mexicans being offended on their behalf
To be fair, they might have been offended but not complained due to laziness
Probably can't construct a letter of complaint, either.