Ref today

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Jman
Fresh Alias

Ref today

Post by Jman »

Wound me right up. Should we have had a pen? I’d say the shirt pull on Smyth and Kelman having his feet swept from under him looked pens to me but curious what others thought
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Ref today

Post by Long slender neck »

Didn't get anything from the ref today and he fell for all of Newports tricks.

Dont think we should have had any penalties.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Just looked @ Newports forum , "Think the ref qot sick of them all going down to easy so didnt give them a pen' "
cymruO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cymruO »

DD and MH weren't convinced of any penalties.
The Reverend
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by The Reverend »

Last edited by The Reverend on Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

It's amazing how when we do our "game management" all that time gets added on, what was it 8 mins last time? We're top unbeaten only 5 gets added for them 🤔
Jman
Fresh Alias

Post by Jman »

The Reverend wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:52 pm Smyth shirt pull was borderline.
Rest were Orient trying too hard to win a pen from a ref who was never going to give one unless it was stonewall.

Thought that Newport managed the game well. It’s frustrating when it’s happening to you but you have no complaints when the boot is on the other foot.

Linesman on the East Stand side missed two blatant cases of handball from Orient players.

Overall weak officiating. Was the pen given against us actually a foul? Seemed soft to me at the time but I could be wrong.
Yeah I think it was. Not massive appeals from our players either which is usually a sign
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Smyth definitely had his shirt pulled but those aren't always given. I don't think Kelman deserved a pen for what seemed more like a collision.

Newport played like pricks but then so do we. Really, ifab or the fa need to give refs much better tools for managing time wasting and simulation. It's obvious to everyone when a winning team mysteriously pick up 10x the injuries and stoppages and by now, there should be a much better way of accounting for it. Gets worse with each season because the 'punishment' of extra time never matches the advantage obvious playacting gets you.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Coincidence the first ‘ref’ thread of the season coincides with our first loss?

We lost, get over it.
The Reverend
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by The Reverend »

Last edited by The Reverend on Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Apple Wumble wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:59 pm Coincidence the first ‘ref’ thread of the season coincides with our first loss?

We lost, get over it.
Yes it is funny that, the EFL will be happy we lost today I'm sure
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

gshaw wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:06 pm
Apple Wumble wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:59 pm Coincidence the first ‘ref’ thread of the season coincides with our first loss?

We lost, get over it.
Yes it is funny that, the EFL will be happy we lost today I'm sure
Ridiculous
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

I can't comment on the other penalty shouts because I was unsighted but the one I clearly saw was arm pulling . To me that was a clear penalty . If a defender pulls an opposing players arm and pulls him back ,is that not a penalty ? Going by what I've seen today apparently that's no longer a foul .
Jman
Fresh Alias

Post by Jman »

From my view in the TJS the Smyth one looked like a pen to me. The first one he threw himself to the floor and that definitely wasn’t one which is probably why didn’t get it second time round.

100pc that’s given as a foul if that’s on a defending player
KenleyO
Fresh Alias

Post by KenleyO »

What peed me off was the blatant time wasting especially in the 2nd half. After the second 45 mins ball had been in play for 23 minutes. The 5 mins added time took this up to 25 min 35 seconds. This is ruining the game. If we went to 30 mins each way ball in play it would cut out the time wasting tactics that really are blighting the game.
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

Why not go to 45 minutes ball in play?
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

This is hilarious. Some of the same people creaming themselves when we play act and waste time getting angry when the oppo do it and when refs don’t give us pens for making more of a challenge than is needed. Word gets around about teams and players who do that
Last edited by Rich Tea Wellin on Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
banqo
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by banqo »

How people are complaining about time wasting tactics is beyond me. Have they seen some of our games?
brentwoodo
Fresh Alias

Post by brentwoodo »

On the whole, the referee generally handled the game quite well. However, there was one aspect of his performance which was the exception to this!!

Many might had noticed at the end of the game that Richie and many of the O's players were clearly showing much exasperation towards the referee at something. Behind this, I think you will find it was that from corners and set pieces, there was an unbelievable amount of holding down, arm locking, shirt pulling, illegal holding down and who knows what else by the defending Newport team that became more and more blatant. In the end it was ridiculous. None of this was ever penalised, even though it became more and more obvious!!

In his defence, he didn't at any stage during playing time revert to the refuge of his book but at the end of the day, who would be a referee!!
Cheshunto
Regular
Regular

Post by Cheshunto »

Apple Wumble wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:15 pm This is hilarious. Some of the same people creaming themselves when we play act and waste time getting angry when the oppo do it and when refs don’t give us pens for making more of a challenge than is needed. Word gets around about teams and players who do that
Yes, we have also ‘managed games’ when ahead in recent weeks so we can’t complain too much when Newport were doing similar things in the 2nd half.
With regard to the amount of holding, pushing and pulling at corners, I thought that referees were told to clamp down on this type of thing this season, but in reality it’s worse than ever.
As for ‘penalty shouts’ I clearly saw a defender put his arms round Drinan’s neck and pull him down, and I was about 100 yards away. Smyth’s shirt pull wasn’t clear to me but others closer seem to think it was a penalty.

We have played far worse…,,,,Mansfield and Walsall at home and still won……..today we got found out a bit.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Apple Wumble wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:15 pm This is hilarious. Some of the same people creaming themselves when we play act and waste time getting angry when the oppo do it and when refs don’t give us pens for making more of a challenge than is needed. Word gets around about teams and players who do that
Funny that no one complains when every outfield player congratulates the goal scorers in our games so far .
essexfootball
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by essexfootball »

Can't blame the refs, stupid penalty and then let a free player score unmarked from the corner.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

The ref was sh*t and the pull on Smyth’s shirt was blatant. Not sure about the other shouts for penalties but we were trying to win one for a decent chunk of the game
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

My view is the same as Richie's, no problem with other teams doing it as we (now) do the same, that's the game. What's a joke is us getting punished for it but the opposition getting away with it.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

gshaw wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:33 am
My view is the same as Richie's, no problem with other teams doing it as we (now) do the same, that's the game. What's a joke is us getting punished for it but the opposition getting away with it.
Yes, the league and refs are out to specifically get us