Police Officers refuse to save black man from drowning

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Police Officers refuse to save black man from drowning

Post by Max Fowler »

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/man-d ... police-say

As bad as they are here, the filth over there are on another level altogether.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Police Officers refuse to save black man from drowning

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

I think something similar has happened here as well involving community officers , or commonly known has plastic bobbies. Apparently the reason was health and safety concerns . They watched a man drown in the river Lee. Although I think they did try by throwing one of those life rings . Still, not one jumped in to save him. I live close by . I swear if I had been there I would have jumped in after him without thinking about it
Sid Bishop
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Sid Bishop »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:36 am I think something similar has happened here as well involving community officers , or commonly known has plastic bobbies. Apparently the reason was health and safety concerns . They watched a man drown in the river Lee. Although I think they did try by throwing one of those life rings . Still, not one jumped in to save him. I live close by . I swear if I had been there I would have jumped in after him without thinking about it
I remember this happening.
New safety rules tell police not to hold their hand out to drowning swimmers
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... mmers.html
Last updated at 17:57 01 October 2007
Police officers in one of Britian's biggest forces have been warned not to hold out a hand to drowning swimmers - in case they are pulled into the water themselves. The guidance is contained in a health and safety policy document which says officers should also think twice before throwing a lifebelt.
The document is set to ignite the row over whether the "risk-averse culture" is hindering police in their duties following an incident in Greater Manchester when two police community support officers did not enter a lake to try to save a ten-year-old boy from drowning.
Type high
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Type high »

Gary the Plumber wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:55 am https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/man-d ... police-say

As bad as they are here, the filth over there are on another level altogether.
Silly sod killed himself, I wouldn't have jumped in to help and put my life at risk either. And colour got nothing to do with it. He put himself at risk pillock
Last edited by Type high on Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

My wife is a trained lifeguard and she says the thing about drowning people is that if you are not trained in rescuing them they will probably kill you
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

That's correct. If the officers were not trained to do so then, as bad as it may appear, they probably did the right thing. Otherwise, instead of one dead person, there'd be two.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Sure. But not sure mocking him and telling his missus to shut up and let him drown in silence is the best they could have done from the waters edge.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

You'll always grapple with a story in one way or another in which to knock the police.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Gary the Plumber wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:09 pm Sure. But not sure mocking him and telling his missus to shut up and let him drown in silence is the best they could have done from the waters edge.
What did they say to mock him?
WickfordO
Fresh Alias

Post by WickfordO »

If he knew he couldn't swim why jump into the water, which by the seem of it there was advice saying no swimming, and why, if as claimed there was no domestic going on, did he run away? Mmmm!
CEB

Post by CEB »

I’d be interested in how well police officers’ memories of the risks of drowning men function when the drowning man is white or black. I suspect there’d be something mysterious about drowning black men that reminds officers of the health and safety rules
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Wasn't there at least any life belts around they could have thrown him . Unless you can't swim yourself I can't understand the mentality of someone just standing there watching while somebody else is drowning . I used to be a lifeguard many , many moons ago and I know for a fact I'd be in trying to save him from drowning
CEB

Post by CEB »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:15 pm Wasn't there at least any life belts around they could have thrown him . Unless you can't swim yourself I can't understand the mentality of someone just standing there watching while somebody else is drowning . I used to be a lifeguard many , many moons ago and I know for a fact I'd be in trying to save him from drowning

Well done. Similarly, a carpet fitter I know knows for a fact that when hired to fit carpets, he will give a quote for the job, then come round and fit the carpet for an agreed price.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Dunners wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:52 pm That's correct. If the officers were not trained to do so then, as bad as it may appear, they probably did the right thing. Otherwise, instead of one dead person, there'd be two.
Good job Richard McFadden was a qualified lifeguard & also a Part time fire fighter as well as a pro Footballer
SamiaStar
Fresh Alias

Post by SamiaStar »

They 💯% dont jump in, that was a big river its not just a swiming pool either. I dont blame them
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

SamiaStar wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:11 pm They 💯% dont jump in, that was a big river its not just a swiming pool either. I dont blame them
It's weird they call it a lake, it flows like a river, and looks like a river on google maps
SamiaStar
Fresh Alias

Post by SamiaStar »

Adz wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:17 pm
SamiaStar wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:11 pm They 💯% dont jump in, that was a big river its not just a swiming pool either. I dont blame them
It's weird they call it a lake, it flows like a river, and looks like a river on google maps
You can drown in a lake aswell as a river.
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

SamiaStar wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:19 pm
Well you can down in a puddle, but a river has a current so is more dangerous than a lake.
SamiaStar
Fresh Alias

Post by SamiaStar »

Adz wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:25 pm
SamiaStar wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:19 pm

Well you can down in a puddle, but a river has a current so is more dangerous than a lake.
Its less likely in a puddle 🤣
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

A man in Wales drowned after rescuing two children from the sea. Just goes to show it can be a dangerous thing being a hero, but it must also be hard to not jump in to help someone
soloman
Fresh Alias

Post by soloman »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:36 am I think something similar has happened here as well involving community officers , or commonly known has plastic bobbies. Apparently the reason was health and safety concerns . They watched a man drown in the river Lee. Although I think they did try by throwing one of those life rings . Still, not one jumped in to save him. I live close by . I swear if I had been there I would have jumped in after him without thinking about it
There's no way I would have gone in ,I cant swim .Could there police swim?
Simple Man
Fresh Alias

Post by Simple Man »

It is called a lake as it is a dammed part of the Salt River creating a recreational area for rowing, sailing, kayaking etc. Its about 100 yards wide and pretty deep. There are signs prohibiting swimming. The water is far from clean, you wouldn't catch me in it.