Sam Ling

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

OldTownO
Fresh Alias

Sam Ling

Post by OldTownO »

Find myself seeing another post match analysis which appears to be mainly focused on the failings of Sam Ling and can’t help but feel the need to speak about this.

It appears that nearly every goal conceded is blamed on this lad and I really think there needs to be some level thinking here.

From the games I have watched in the last few seasons, i think the out of possession play has been poor, our shape is shocking, our recovery is slow. Justin managed this very well, he was a defender after all, but since then we have gone back to our old ways.

From what I have seen;

Coulson is not fit enough at this level any more
Happe needs a clever brain next too him
Widdowsopn out of possession play is poor
Brophy is not naturally a full back
Clay out of possession is a liability

I think Ross is fully aware that the defence is his priority and this doesn’t happen overnight - he will make tweaks all season and as long as we stay up, then he can continue to build in the future

Myles Judd has gone on loan and for good reasons - and only Ross will know this, but he can only have done it for the best of Orient

But, and i guess this is my main point, Sam Ling is a pro footballer, like it or not, and he must be trying his best. He is 24, and will have access to social media and be very aware of the witch hunt that he is the subject of. I’ve seen Coulson make some horrendous errors and not be as castigated as Ling has been, and I suppose this makes me wonder if some or all of the criticism is because of who is dad is.

Anyhow, I may have rambled, so i end this now, and I apologise for the rant.

Something I think about at these times, is that Sam’s dad has a history of depression, and if Sam is struggling also, the last thing this young boy needs is constant abuse. It’s very easy to slaughter someone, but we need to realise they are human beings, with feelings.

And, just as a redress, and in case any of you are wondering, no, I’m not martin, in fact, I am not his biggest fan in any way shape or form - but that’s another rant.

But i have played the game, and I am a qualified coach - and I have learnt lots about getting the best out of people.
Still wrong
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Re: Sam Ling

Post by Still wrong »

OldTownO wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:07 pm Find myself seeing another post match analysis which appears to be mainly focused on the failings of Sam Ling and can’t help but feel the need to speak about this.

It appears that nearly every goal conceded is blamed on this lad and I really think there needs to be some level thinking here.

From the games I have watched in the last few seasons, i think the out of possession play has been poor, our shape is shocking, our recovery is slow. Justin managed this very well, he was a defender after all, but since then we have gone back to our old ways.

From what I have seen;

I think Ross is fully aware that the defence is his priority and this doesn’t happen overnight - he will make tweaks all season and as long as we stay up, then he can continue to build in the future

Myles Judd has gone on loan and for good reasons - and only Ross will know this, but he can only have done it for the best of Orient

But, and i guess this is my main point, Sam Ling is a pro footballer, like it or not, and he must be trying his best. He is 24, and will have access to social media and be very aware of the witch hunt that he is the subject of. I’ve seen Coulson make some horrendous errors and not be as castigated as Ling has been, and I suppose this makes me wonder if some or all of the criticism is because of who is dad is.

Something I think about at these times, is that Sam’s dad has a history of depression, and if Sam is struggling also, the last thing this young boy needs is constant abuse. It’s very easy to slaughter someone, but we need to realise they are human beings, with feelings.

And, just as a redress, and in case any of you are wondering, no, I’m not martin, in fact, I am not his biggest fan in any way shape or form - but that’s another rant.

But i have played the game, and I am a qualified coach - and I have learnt lots about getting the best out of people.
If you get upset by what people write on here then don’t read it.
If you play football for a living you have to be resilient and take the criticism and bounce back.
Bobby Robson took horrendous criticism, but he battled through, as did Graham Taylor.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

12 paragraphs about Sam Ling and the only thing you said about him is ‘he’s a professional footballer, 24 and trying his best’.

Thanks for that wonderful insight ‘qualified coach’. Bringing Martin Ling’s depression into it is a shithouse move too.
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

When he is jogging back when the other team are on the attack, he does not seem to be trying that hard.
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

If you can't stand the heat get out the kitchen as the time honoured phrase goes. He's not good enough for a side aiming at upper end of L2 and goals are coming directly from his area consistently.

If you want to blame anyone blame Embleton for playing him week in week out and Ling Sr for not adequately recruiting that area to protect his son's place.
ContrifibulatoryFred
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by ContrifibulatoryFred »

It’s ridiculous to be castigating this poster just because he’s tried to out some perspective on our rubbish defence.
I personally don’t think Ling is good enough to be played every week but I don’t like the cruelty of laying blame for everything on him. We have 11 players and an idiot (Embleford) as a manager - so it can’t all be down to Sam Ling
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

ContrifibulatoryFred wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:31 pm It’s ridiculous to be castigating this poster just because he’s tried to out some perspective on our rubbish defence.
I personally don’t think Ling is good enough to be played every week but I don’t like the cruelty of laying blame for everything on him. We have 11 players and an idiot (Embleford) as a manager - so it can’t all be down to Sam Ling
It isn’t castigating. He’s not given any opinion on how poorly Ling plays, only that other players can be poor too.
OldTownO
Fresh Alias

Post by OldTownO »

Biggsy i am not saying that Sam is blameless - but merely that he is not the only poor player in a side that is bad out of possession, and that maybe some of the criticism is due to his family link to the club
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

OldTownO wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:46 pm Biggsy i am not saying that Sam is blameless - but merely that he is not the only poor player in a side that is bad out of possession, and that maybe some of the criticism is due to his family link to the club
Those criticisms would disappear if / when Ling is treated like the other fullbacks i.e. you make a mistake you get dropped. Applied to Judd, applied to Ogie, applied to Turley, applied to Widdowson but doesn't apply to Long.
PoundhillO
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by PoundhillO »

gshaw wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:56 pm
OldTownO wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:46 pm Biggsy i am not saying that Sam is blameless - but merely that he is not the only poor player in a side that is bad out of possession, and that maybe some of the criticism is due to his family link to the club
Those criticisms would disappear if / when Ling is treated like the other fullbacks i.e. you make a mistake you get dropped. Applied to Judd, applied to Ogie, applied to Turley, applied to Widdowson but doesn't apply to Long.
Son of DOF is consistently underperforming and is a f*cking embarrassment, it’s seems to be a case of the Emperor’s New Clothes as far as the club is concerned.
Last edited by PoundhillO on Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cockhat
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cockhat »

OldTownO wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:07 pm Find myself seeing another post match analysis which appears to be mainly focused on the failings of Sam Ling and can’t help but feel the need to speak about this.

From what I have seen;

Maybe you should apply for a coaching role at the club!
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

I get that but no one has said he’s at solely to blame. There’s more than just him who has poor games, he plays poorly every game though. When the team plays well, he still gives away 4/5 chances a game. It’s incredibly frustrating that he’s an obvious weak link but continues to start every week.

Fwiw, I agree with your assesments of the other player you mentioned apart from Clay who I think you’ve but too harsh on.
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

And Akinola.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Dohnut (ALM) wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:04 pm
And Akinola.
And Thomas.
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

Re the o.p. I've highlighted this before. We don't defend as a team, watch the top sides and they are organised into banks of 4 or 5. We're all over the place. Still that doesn't stop ling being the weakest link and rightfully highlighted when it's his fault that opposition get chances
ComeOnYouOs
Regular
Regular
Awards: Colossal berk

Post by ComeOnYouOs »

If his name was Sam Smith or Sam Baker or Sam Wilkins etc etc, he wouldnt be anywhere near a league 2 team. He's level 6, and his inclusion is weakening our team.
Pure nepotism, and anyone at the club who says otherwise, is insulting our intelligence
ClockworkO
Fresh Alias
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by ClockworkO »

Unfortunately this is true.
Clive Evans
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Clive Evans »

To be honest, I thought the whole team was dreadful. Can't see the point of picking on one guy ( but because his pa is DOF I can see why ). The whole defence were extremely poor, except for the goalie who has had a very good season. I think a big reason for our drop in form in the last few matches, has been the mediocre performances of our captain; up until a few weeks ago he has had a brilliant season. As Jobi is no Spring chicken, I feel alarm bells should be ringing. They need to fork out some serious dosh to get a skilled player to be in the heart of the team. Jobi's boots are gonna take a heck of a lot of filling. As for Sam, if I was him I would walk away from the club. No matter how well or badly he performs, idiots on here will condemn him constantly because his dad is DOF. When we acquired him, most people thought we had got a result. I think he has acted with dignity, but he should get out now, because until there is a replacement for Jobi, we can expect some shaky ole results. This is not a criticism of our captain, I feel he has been " put upon"; too much has been asked and expected of him, at the twilight of his career.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Clive Evans wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:30 pm No matter how well or badly he performs
Its badly , Clive. Always badly.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:02 pm
Clive Evans wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:30 pm No matter how well or badly he performs
Its badly , Clive. Always badly.
Even in the games where we w9n & had clean sheets ?

See Ronnie ,
Haters Hating .
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Yep.

Remind me of one game where he’s actually played well. I don’t mean a game where he’s not cost us a goal or hasn’t made any mistakes, a game when he’s actually looked like a a L2 standard player.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Clive Evans wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:30 pm To be honest, I thought the whole team was dreadful. Can't see the point of picking on one guy ( but because his pa is DOF I can see why ). The whole defence were extremely poor, except for the goalie who has had a very good season. I think a big reason for our drop in form in the last few matches, has been the mediocre performances of our captain; up until a few weeks ago he has had a brilliant season. As Jobi is no Spring chicken, I feel alarm bells should be ringing. They need to fork out some serious dosh to get a skilled player to be in the heart of the team. Jobi's boots are gonna take a heck of a lot of filling. As for Sam, if I was him I would walk away from the club. No matter how well or badly he performs, idiots on here will condemn him constantly because his dad is DOF. When we acquired him, most people thought we had got a result. I think he has acted with dignity, but he should get out now, because until there is a replacement for Jobi, we can expect some shaky ole results. This is not a criticism of our captain, I feel he has been " put upon"; too much has been asked and expected of him, at the twilight of his career.
It isn’t 1 game
O my gawd
Fresh Alias

Post by O my gawd »

Still wrong wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:20 pm

From what I have seen;

If you get upset by what people write on here then don’t read it.
If you play football for a living you have to be resilient and take the criticism and bounce back.
Bobby Robson took horrendous criticism, but he battled through, as did Graham Taylor.
Different times. They didn't have Twitter & forums to deal with.
Old Town O makes some very valid points.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:08 pm Yep.

Remind me of one game where he’s actually played well. I don’t mean a game where he’s not cost us a goal or hasn’t made any mistakes, a game when he’s actually looked like a a L2 standard player.
Games where we havent conceded means he did his job
Games we won mean he did his Job

You may not like it
You.May not like him
But he did his Job .

Your opinion is irrelevant
Lets deal in Facts please.
Fanny
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Fanny »

The idea that professional footballers give a flying f*ck about what what fans write on a message, let alone are actually impacted by what is said, is laughable.

Pros don’t give a sh*t about what me or you has to say. Some fans really do have a deluded idea of how important their opinion is