What are you Watching Today Part 2

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Re: What are you Watching Today Part 2

Post by Dunners »

Homeland should have ended when Quinn died.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Quinn. When?
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

Beat the Chasers , quite enjoying this new version of the Chase 👍
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Netflix are going to bring Borgen back, with the original cast. We'll all get another chance to sit and watch them endlessly negotiating and over-simplifying political and economic issues, yet feeling sophisticated because it's in Danish.

Tak!
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Up to ep 4 on the Last Dance Chicago Bulls documentary

Decent viewing for those between 30 and 45
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

BIGRON wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:46 pm Beat the Chasers , quite enjoying this new version of the Chase 👍
Ain't it just a ripoff of Eggheads?
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Dunners wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:40 pm Netflix are going to bring Borgen back, with the original cast. We'll all get another chance to sit and watch them endlessly negotiating and over-simplifying political and economic issues, yet feeling sophisticated because it's in Danish.

Tak!
Yeah in 2022, thanks for getting my hopes up

Kusse
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Watching the PBS America series on Vietnam.

There was a fascinating bit in it.

Apparently in 1967 they fed masses of data into the mainframe computer at the Pentagon. Stuff like troop numbers, weapons, ammo, ships, planes, helicopters, material etc. Asking the computer when the war would be won.

The answer was you won it in 1965 but your data took no account of your enemy and their intentions.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Max B Gold wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:25 pm Watching the PBS America series on Vietnam.

Apparently in 1967 they fed masses of data into the mainframe computer at the Pentagon. Stuff like troop numbers, weapons, ammo, ships, planes, helicopters, material etc. Asking the computer when the war would be won.

The answer was you won it in 1965 but your data took no account of your enemy and their intentions.
Which side are you cheering for?
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Digby Chicken Caesar wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:42 pm
Max B Gold wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:25 pm Watching the PBS America series on Vietnam.

Which side are you cheering for?
What a stupid question. There is only one side. I was on the side of the workers.

In the US before 1967 the draftees were mainly working class, within which blacks and Hispanics were overly represented in those being forced into the war machine.

It wasn't until 1967 that the anti war movement gained momentum because that was when middle class kids began to be drafted.

In Vietnam the workers were repelling the Imperialist invaders.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Excellent documentary series. Struggling to remember how the war even came about.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:58 am Excellent documentary series. Struggling to remember how the war even came about.
Maybe you need to watch again but concentrate more this time and try not to play on your phone when it's on.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

To be fair I missed the first episode which probably covers it.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

I've watched that series a couple of times now and it is superb. Saw an article recently about a poll where young Americans were asked who won the Vietnam War and a high percentage (can't recall exactly) replied that the US won because they always win. Oh dear.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Was this the 10-parter (?) Had plently of declassified tape conversations in it ? If so, then I watched it a while ago and thought it was superb. If not - then find the one I did.

On another note, last night I watched Curb Your Enthusiasm for the first time ever and am very glad I did. I how have another 89 episodes to watch and shall enjoy them I'm sure.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

StillSpike wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:27 pm Was this the 10-parter (?) Had plently of declassified tape conversations in it ? If so, then I watched it a while ago and thought it was superb. If not - then find the one I did.

On another note, last night I watched Curb Your Enthusiasm for the first time ever and am very glad I did. I how have another 89 episodes to watch and shall enjoy them I'm sure.
Well that's the Vietnam series I'm thinking of. Loads of people who were actually there and explained in graphic detail what they went through.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

BoniO wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:41 pm
StillSpike wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:27 pm Was this the 10-parter (?) Had plently of declassified tape conversations in it ? If so, then I watched it a while ago and thought it was superb. If not - then find the one I did.

Well that's the Vietnam series I'm thinking of. Loads of people who were actually there and explained in graphic detail what they went through.
Aye - think it was pretty much an episode per year as I recall. Superb.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

It's the 10 parter by Ken Burns.

Today's shocking fact is that during a presidential campaign Nixon contacted the utterly corrupt South Vietnamese government and asked them not to attend peace talks set to take place in Paris because if he became President he would get a better deal with the North Vietnamese.

Worse still the incumbent President Lyndon B Johnson was advised of Nixon's treason but chose not to make it public because it would have revealed the FBI and CIA were phone tapping their allies in the US and Saigon

The South Vietnamese did not attend the peace talks and so it appears two American Presidents were happy to ignore treason and for more US soldiers to die.
Constanza
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Constanza »

After Life 2 is infuriating me. Some scenes are top notch but it descends into crudity which I no longer find that amusing. The acting is good enough not to need a Finchy from the office x 100.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Constanza wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:26 pm After Life 2 is infuriating me. Some scenes are top notch but it descends into crudity which I no longer find that amusing. The acting is good enough not to need a Finchy from the office x 100.
I shall probably get pelters for it, but I did not rate Afterlife2 anywhere near as good as the first. It was OK and knowingly tugged all the right emotional strings, but the funny bits weren't as funny - I kind of wished he'd left it at the one series.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

I'm a few episodes in and totally agree with both posts above. It's alright and will do for lockdown, but it just doesn't have the heart of the first series.

And they overuse the c word so that it loses any comedic/shock value and just becomes a bit cringe.
Chicken Dhansak
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Chicken Dhansak »

Probably the best and funniest American sitcom ever made. It always makes me laugh how Larry just drifts into these situations
and just can't see it coming.

The one you will find the funniest is the chef with Tourette's Syndrome. Enjoy.
Constanza
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Constanza »

StillSpike wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:39 am Giri Haji was quite fun, if occasionally a little odd.
Halfway through this on Netflix. Really enjoying it, all the characters are interesting.
I really want to go to Japan.
Lovejoy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Lovejoy »

Van der Valk was better this week, I thought last week's episode was a bit slow.
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Based on the first 7 episodes, I can happily recommend Fargo on Netflix.