The latest price of a Bit-coin.

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Re: The latest price of a Bit-coin.

Post by Proposition Joe »

Just set myself up to get involved, hoping to pay off the mortgage by the end of the month.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Long slender neck wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:40 am Watch what unfold?
It's only when everyone like this has been won over that we'll finally arrive at the true valuation. Mind blowing.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Proposition Joe wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:43 am Just set myself up to get involved, hoping to pay off the mortgage by the end of the month.
What is mortgage?
Yanzi Gravy
Fresh Alias

Post by Yanzi Gravy »

Over the weekend a friend of mine who works in banking explained Bitofacon is like pyramid selling . He said that all the ‘small people ‘ put in a grand or two so as not to lose out and every so often those at the top have a ‘cream off’ He said some get caught like Fried Bankman . The small people invariably lose their little investment but ‘was only a bit fun, could gone the other way’. Those st the top feed off the little investments. Personally I would not touch it with a barge pole as I simply do not trust it.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Yanzi Gravy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:49 pm Personally I would not touch it with a barge pole as I simply do not trust it.
Sound advice but no need to call your friend ‘it’.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Yanzi Gravy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:49 pm Over the weekend a friend of mine who works in banking explained Bitofacon is like pyramid selling . He said that all the ‘small people ‘ put in a grand or two so as not to lose out and every so often those at the top have a ‘cream off’ He said some get caught like Fried Bankman . The small people invariably lose their little investment but ‘was only a bit fun, could gone the other way’. Those st the top feed off the little investments. Personally I would not touch it with a barge pole as I simply do not trust it.
Yeah but that never happened did it
Yanzi Gravy
Fresh Alias

Post by Yanzi Gravy »

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:00 pm
Yanzi Gravy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:49 pm Over the weekend a friend of mine who works in banking explained Bitofacon is like pyramid selling . He said that all the ‘small people ‘ put in a grand or two so as not to lose out and every so often those at the top have a ‘cream off’ He said some get caught like Fried Bankman . The small people invariably lose their little investment but ‘was only a bit fun, could gone the other way’. Those st the top feed off the little investments. Personally I would not touch it with a barge pole as I simply do not trust it.
I have no idea but I have never known any of the numerous people around me who claim to own them ever have a sudden ability to have a massive change in fortunes. Like I know numerous people who do the lottery but not anyone who has won more than couple hundred quid. Same with premium bonds loads up my local say they have won £25 or £50 but no jackpots. I know my house in Hackney has gone up to a small fortune in value since I paid 55k for it in the 80’s . That is a certainty
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Yanzi Gravy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:40 pm
I have no idea but I have never known any of the numerous people around me who claim to own them ever have a sudden ability to have a massive change in fortunes. Like I know numerous people who do the lottery but not anyone who has won more than couple hundred quid. Same with premium bonds loads up my local say they have won £25 or £50 but no jackpots. I know my house in Hackney has gone up to a small fortune in value since I paid 55k for it in the 80’s . That is a certainty
You have no idea whether that never happened?
Yanzi Gravy
Fresh Alias

Post by Yanzi Gravy »

Hoover Attack wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:06 pm

Bricks and mortar went up for sure. Dunno about cyber money. Possibly in theory it did. Nobody has ever showed me the result of their profits.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

I withdrew £600 to my bank account Thursday night and my balance is now back to where it was on Thursday afternoon
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

That’s not true mate - you have approximately 0.01 less BTC than you did on Friday 🥲
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

Yanzi Gravy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:39 pm

Bricks and mortar went up for sure. Dunno about cyber money. Possibly in theory it did. Nobody has ever showed me the result of their profits.
You're not comparing apples with apples though as you're talking about a primary place of residency vs an investment. If you compared a leveraged investment in property vs a leveraged investment in Bitofacon over the same time period then you could work it out. (although you'd never be able to leverage into Bitofacon in the same way as property)
Yanzi Gravy
Fresh Alias

Post by Yanzi Gravy »

Adz wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:44 pm
Yanzi Gravy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:39 pm

You're not comparing apples with apples though as you're talking about a primary place of residency vs an investment. If you compared a leveraged investment in property vs a leveraged investment in Bitofacon over the same time period then you could work it out. (although you'd never be able to leverage into Bitofacon in the same way as property)
It is what one feels comfortable with I think. I was listening to a city report on Radio 4 this morning and even they said it is not like ‘buying a gold ingot and making jewellery out of it to sell on’. This was someone from Bloomberg having difficulty with explains the concept. I kind of understood a chap on here yesterday saying he withdrew money and his balance was up again after but they were also explaining that you cannot just go buy Bitofacon in the high street. You have to buy it all offshore and this is all unregulated so I am fine being cautious. Would anyone here transfer their house into Bitofacon? I doubt it.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Yeah, banks are trustworthy
Yanzi Gravy
Fresh Alias

Post by Yanzi Gravy »

Rich Tea Wellin wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:34 am Yeah, banks are trustworthy
I don’t trust any of it I’m just a small man trying to survive like everyone else. I know nothing about banks and tradings.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Yanzi Gravy wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:01 amWould anyone here transfer their house into Bitofacon? I doubt it.
Not sure what this even means?

I don't know anyone who wishes they held less BTC than they actually do. Everyone understandably wishes they had invested more and invested earlier.
CEB
Regular
Regular
Awards: Messageboard know-it-all

Post by CEB »

OK, another question. Is your intention with your investment:

A: choose an opportune moment to get your money in sterling at a time when you think “this might be as good as it gets, and if cashing out on it means I’ve done so too early, I’m still happy with the return”

B: you’re in it for the long haul, on the basis that regardless of fluctuations, Bitofacon will have long term value as Bitofacon (if so please let me know what that is?)

C: something else?
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

C: Get to the moon
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:30 am C: Get to the moon
In a flying Lambo.
Hoover Attack
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Hoover Attack »

But seriously B. Never selling until we have reached what feels like it's true valuation, and we're multiples away from that, possibly decades in terms of time.
Yanzi Gravy
Fresh Alias

Post by Yanzi Gravy »

Hoover Attack wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:22 am
Yanzi Gravy wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:01 amWould anyone here transfer their house into Bitofacon? I doubt it.
Not sure what this even means?

I don't know anyone who wishes they held less BTC than they actually do. Everyone understandably wishes they had invested more and invested earlier.
Like everyone who wished they bought a house when they were a tenth of what they were now. You must not miss the boat. Whilst not everyone can afford to buy shares bitcoins or property, there are some who squandered anything they earned on new cars , holidays and booze.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

I’m a bit different. I’ve only invested a small amount. My last deposit was 2020. I’ve used some profits to buy other coins when the prices are low. At this point I’ve withdrawn what I put in so anything left is a bit of a plaything. Long term I’m leaving 90% of it in but at moments that I feel the price is high (not much aside from gut feeling and 5 years of watching it move) I withdraw small amounts so I have a real world win and even if it all crashed tomorrow I’d be up.
For example I just booked a holiday and my account grew about 3 grand in 2 weeks. So I withdrew a small amount of that and feel like I’ve got a free holiday.
Good chance I’ll regret it in ten years time when it’s worth x25 but also a chance it’s worth nothing.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

I did cringe the other day, my first btc purchase the price of a btc was £6k. Now worth 55k and I wish I was bolder
Adz
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Adz »

As someone who probably understands it more than most on here I think it is a huge risk asset. The only way it will last is if countries are willing to cede their ownership of currency for it. You might get 3rd world countries, who's fiat is worthless jumping on, but never a county with any strength in the world.

The advent of quantum computing will make its security soft, so there is another big risk there.

If you think the investment banks offering products on it (etfs, futures, etc) gives it more legitimacy then you don't remember the packaged sh*t that caused the gfc.

I think there's more chance of it being worth closer to zero than multiples of where it currently is.

I am somewhat risk averse though, and appreciate this probably clouds my judgement, but I have 25 years of working in IT for major global investment banks behind me.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Adz wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:04 pm As someone who probably understands it more than most on here I think it is a huge risk asset. The only way it will last is if countries are willing to cede their ownership of currency for it. You might get 3rd world countries, who's fiat is worthless jumping on, but never a county with any strength in the world.

The advent of quantum computing will make its security soft, so there is another big risk there.

If you think the investment banks offering products on it (etfs, futures, etc) gives it more legitimacy then you don't remember the packaged sh*t that caused the gfc.

I think there's more chance of it being worth closer to zero than multiples of where it currently is.

I am somewhat risk averse though, and appreciate this probably clouds my judgement, but I have 25 years of working in IT for major global investment banks behind me.
I'm with you on this. Play long, be boring - is my strategy.

Also, the prevalence of BTC ETF products etc is not indicative that those offering them have faith in BTC. Aside from their propensity to package sh*t, it's just indicative of their faith in an opportunity to extract a fee from traders.