Ken Clarke

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Bergen
Regular
Regular

Ken Clarke

Post by Bergen »

Clarke is "minded" to retire from the Commons after nearly 50 years. Won`t stand at the next election.

I have never been an a conservative myself, but as an observer of british politics over the last decade, I have always valued his speeches and interviews. I think he will be missed.
mildandbitter
Fresh Alias

Re: Ken Clarke

Post by mildandbitter »

His interview with James O'Brien is worth tracking down. It's a podcast from O'Brien's Full Disclosure series.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

A politician in the best sense.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Bergen wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:44 pm Clarke is "minded" to retire from the Commons after nearly 50 years. Won`t stand at the next election.

I have never been an a conservative myself, but as an observer of british politics over the last decade, I have always valued his speeches and interviews. I think he will be missed.
Good , he can P*** O**
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

He was also a very good chancellor arguably the best in my lifetime.
EastDerehamO
Fresh Alias

Post by EastDerehamO »

While I don’t agree with Clarke on the EU, I’ve always liked him, and as said above he’s always worth listening to. I was never a Tory and he was one of the few ministers in the Thatcher government I had time for. Will be missed when he goes.
slacker
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by slacker »

Clarke comes across as a congenial old raconteur these days, but he was always a tobacco industry shill, and happy to do Thatcher’s bidding and break communities as the country’s assets were privatised, inequality got out of hand, and unions weakened.
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

slacker wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:55 am Clarke comes across as a congenial old raconteur these days, but he was always a tobacco industry shill, and happy to do Thatcher’s bidding and break communities as the country’s assets were privatised, inequality got out of hand, and unions weakened.
Correct. He will be pleased you omitted his tendency to grope young men's balls without consent from your very fair summary of his blighted existence.

His time has come and gone. He's keeping a young person out of a highly well paid job. So it's a GTF from me.
The Mindsweep
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Mindsweep »

slacker wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:55 am Clarke comes across as a congenial old raconteur these days, but he was always a tobacco industry shill, and happy to do Thatcher’s bidding and break communities as the country’s assets were privatised, inequality got out of hand, and unions weakened.
This
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

:oops:
The Mindsweep wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:37 pm
This
So then the labour party under Blair who had the biggest majority in living memory could have reversed some of those privitised services. Let's face facts they inherited the strongest economy this country had ever had.

So do tell which ones did they renationalise?
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Oh come on, Thor. You know damn well that most Labour voters/supporters/members decry the Blair administration as being Red Tory. Which your very (tedious) question demonstrates. New Labour merely applied some liberal social policies on top of continuing the right wing economic and fiscal policies of the Major administration.

Not that I'm suggesting a (Real) Labour government would actually renationalise either, BTW.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

True Dunners. I always wanted them to take back control of the railways, Prescott certainly said he was going to do it and then realised it ain’t gonna happen. So instead of bringing it back home they went and screwed up the underground by privatising that and proper messing it up.

The clever part of privitisation is that they sell us a company we as tax payers already own! A master stroke.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

Max B Gold wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:36 pm
Correct. He will be pleased you omitted his tendency to grope young men's balls without consent from your very fair summary of his blighted existence.
😮
SalfordO
Fresh Alias

Post by SalfordO »

In my view Clarke is a bit like a footballer who refuses to play in the position he is picked for.

He is selected to play as a right winger, but keeps drifting to the left wing, leaving his team harmed as a result
Forty-Niner
Fresh Alias

Post by Forty-Niner »

One thing in his favour: he didn't stick rigidly to the party lines when speaking.
Buckingham
Fresh Alias

Post by Buckingham »

Isn’t he the last chancellor to give a budget speech whilst drinking a glass of scotch?