Players out of contract in the summer

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Players out of contract in the summer

Post by Currywurst and Chips »

Yes I know some of these are loanees

Pratley - Yellow - Wouldn't mind signing him as a squad player but he's not a 1st choice in a promotion side

Nouble- Red - Dagenham beckons

Callum Reilly - Red - Anonymous

Adam Thompson - Red - not up to standard

Tom James - Green - Solid wing back that fits RW style

George Ray - Red - Anonymous

Theo Archibald - Green - Proven quality if he has drifted a bit of late

Sam Sargeant - Yellow - OK as backup

Ruel Sotoriou - Green - Been the catalyst for the recent revival, can see a repeat of 2yrs ago in trying to keep him

Hector Kyprianou - Red - Lightweight, bin off

Dan Moss - Red - Anonymous

Alex Mitchell - Yellow - Be good to get another loan

Jayden Sweeney - Yellow - No idea if he's any good

Matt Young - Yellow - Prospect but not bothered if he leaves

Rhys Byrne - Yellow - Keep either him or Sargeant
Jman
Fresh Alias

Re: Players out of contract in the summer

Post by Jman »

Pretty much agree apart from:

Thompson, would definitely offer a contract, Green for me. Been solid under Wellens so far and is proven at this level as well as higher up the leagues.

Mitchell, Would also grade green but would suggest it’s pretty unlikely we get him again, heard murmurings Millwall fancy him for their first team squad next term.

Sweeny, Would probably let go, not shown anything to suggest otherwise and he’s been a here a few years.

Pratley, On balance would probably let go. Likely to be one of our highest earners
Mistadobalina
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Mistadobalina »

Currywurst and Chips wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:24 pm Yes I know some of these are loanees

Pratley - Yellow - Wouldn't mind signing him as a squad player but he's not a 1st choice in a promotion side

Ruel Sotoriou - Green - Been the catalyst for the recent revival, can see a repeat of 2yrs ago in trying to keep him

Hector has another year on his contract.

Basically agree with all that, though I'd maybe offer Thompson an extra season if he can stay fit for the rest of this campaign. Solid defender who can cover the RB position in a pinch.

Archibald is excellent and has just suffered from being played out of position in an out of form team. Think we should be making a real effort to get him in permanently.

Wellens obviously rates Sotoriou and I doubt there's a better place for him to develop right now so makes sense to keep him on.

Would like to keep Pratley but I imagine he's on good wages and we're carrying a lot of dead weight in that position, so will probably have to get rid. Ideally we'd get bin Hector and Reilly, loan Brown and Young out, and create room for 2 new central midfielders. But imagine we'll only have room to bring the one in.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Mistadobalina wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:01 pm
Currywurst and Chips wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:24 pm Yes I know some of these are loanees

Hector has another year on his contract.

Basically agree with all that, though I'd maybe offer Thompson an extra season if he can stay fit for the rest of this campaign. Solid defender who can cover the RB position in a pinch.

Archibald is excellent and has just suffered from being played out of position in an out of form team. Think we should be making a real effort to get him in permanently.

Wellens obviously rates Sotoriou and I doubt there's a better place for him to develop right now so makes sense to keep him on.

Would like to keep Pratley but I imagine he's on good wages and we're carrying a lot of dead weight in that position, so will probably have to get rid. Ideally we'd get bin Hector and Reilly, loan Brown and Young out, and create room for 2 new central midfielders. But imagine we'll only have room to bring the one in.
Seems you're right about Hector, sadly....

He can't be first choice next season if we're serious. Far too lightweight

Hope you're right about Ruel as he seems to fit in well with the RW system and has been brilliant since given a chance
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Jman wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:48 pm Pretty much agree apart from:

Thompson, would definitely offer a contract, Green for me. Been solid under Wellens so far and is proven at this level as well as higher up the leagues.

Mitchell, Would also grade green but would suggest it’s pretty unlikely we get him again, heard murmurings Millwall fancy him for their first team squad next term.

Sweeny, Would probably let go, not shown anything to suggest otherwise and he’s been a here a few years.

Pratley, On balance would probably let go. Likely to be one of our highest earners
I agree . TBF, Mitchell deserves to be part of Millwall's first team squad next season because he''s done very well for us this season . I think Pratley will go along with Hector as well .Kyp has had plenty of chances this season and just hasn't pushed on .
Jman
Fresh Alias

Post by Jman »

It does make you realise that if we can bin off the aforementioned deadwood and keep hold of Archibald and Sotiriou, there’s a real decent core to work with next season for RW. Obviously assuming he gets to bring in the bodies he wants too.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Yeah if we keep Archibald and the board back RW to the extent they did Jackett we should make the playoffs I'd imagine
Jman
Fresh Alias

Post by Jman »

Did the board back Jackett though? We seemed to enter this season about 4 bodies down on last.
Chocolate_brownie
Fresh Alias

Post by Chocolate_brownie »

RedDwarf 1881 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:14 pm

I agree . TBF, Mitchell deserves to be part of Millwall's first team squad next season because he''s done very well for us this season . I think Pratley will go along with Hector as well .Kyp has had plenty of chances this season and just hasn't pushed on .
There’s no chance Mitchell is getting into a Championship line up. Nothing against the guy but he’s nowhere near that standard.
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Chocolate_brownie wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:31 pm

There’s no chance Mitchell is getting into a Championship line up. Nothing against the guy but he’s nowhere near that standard.
If that's the case I'd have him back with us in half a heartbeat .
Still's Carenae
Fresh Alias

Post by Still's Carenae »

Hector and Matt Young will definitely be offered new contracts. Both young professionals with good potential.
The Mindsweep
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Mindsweep »

Thank God we've got Coleman tired down for another couple
RedDwarf 1881
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by RedDwarf 1881 »

Still's Carenae wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:43 pm Hector and Matt Young will definitely be offered new contracts. Both young professionals with good potential.
Young is 18 and has plenty of potential but Hector's development has stalled . We need much better next season in central midfield if we hope to challenge for promotion.
jamespevans
Fresh Alias

Post by jamespevans »

Pratley has the option of another season. Presume he has made enough appearances to activate the clause in his contract.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

Hector should not be first choice now. It’s not his fault everyone else is either sh*t or injured. But he’s worthy of another year.

I would keep Thompson and Pratley if budget was no object but I’d bet their agents have had Lings pants down and are pulling in big bucks.

Otherwise in full agreeement.
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

I personally wouldn't offer any of those named a contract
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Jman wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:28 pm Did the board back Jackett though? We seemed to enter this season about 4 bodies down on last.
Spot on and overlooked by many. You can't go into a season with no cover RB and not strengthening the CM that was our Achilles Heel the season just gone. Pratley was a replacement for McAnuff but the club tried to cheap out with Kyrpianou & Young in place of a senior pro and it's come back to bite us.

Going to need to be more ruthless than above posts over summer. There's not space for Brown, Coleman, Young and Kyrpianou when none of them are up to first team football. Loan out or get rid.

As for the others I'd reckon...

Archibald - keep if he wants to stay
James - keep if he proves his fitness before end of season
Sotiriou - keep but if he / his agent tries holding the club to ransom again let him go

Pratley I've heard has a few more games to go before he hits the threshold for another season. He's looked off the pace as season has gone on so time to replace with someone younger.

Not sure the situation why Sargeant is now ahead of Byrne but as above keep one of the two as cheap backup got Vigoroux but not both.
aylesburyos
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by aylesburyos »

I would keep Pratley & Thompson. Hopefully sign James & Theo. It seems as if Hector still in contract so he is going nowhere
Chocolate_brownie
Fresh Alias

Post by Chocolate_brownie »

spen666 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:55 pm I personally wouldn't offer any of those named a contract
You’d be too busy trying to sign your mate Ched Evans, and seeing if Adam Johnson fancies signing on a free.
Rich Tea Wellin
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Regardless of who's here and who's not i'd like this to be the line-up.

Vigs

New LB New CB Beckles Ogie James (or new RB)

New CM (ball winner) New CM (ball carrier)

Smyth

Ruel (or new ST) New ST

Get going Lingy...
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Apple Wumble wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:07 pm Regardless of who's here and who's not i'd like this to be the line-up.

Vigs

New LB New CB Beckles Ogie James (or new RB)

New CM (ball winner) New CM (ball carrier)

Smyth

Ruel (or new ST) New ST

Get going Lingy...
smyth ? seriously , not completd 90 minutes in more than how many games . lets get a squad of fit reliable players who fit a top 2 budget , not a top 8 budget of mediocraty !!
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

Apple Wumble wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:07 pm Get going Lingy...
Let's hope Ling will be kept well away from this after the January shambles.

With the loanees going back and minor changes aside from loaning as many of our U23 CMs out as possible leaves something like:

Vigoroux

Wood
Beckles
Ogie
James

New CM New CM
Archibald Smyth Sotiriou
Drinan

Subs / reserves

Byrne
Happe
Thompson (1 year) or new CB
New LB / RB cover
Clay
Coleman
Khan
Smith
New ST
Frogger
Fresh Alias

Post by Frogger »

Ling has already drawn up a list of players for next season that have injuries already and that should carry over into next season too.
Currywurst and Chips
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Don't think Beckles has the technical ability to fit RW system

He's played the majority of his career in non league and it shows! He's good at being a lump at the back and hoofing it forward whenever he wins it. That's not want RW is looking for and he needs to show he can be a ball playing centre half or he's at risk... He's also 31 this year.
Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Beradogs »

Keep Thompson. If hector has another year then fine but he won’t make it. Not sure he is good enough for the Nat league. I would want an upgrade on Wood next season if we want promotion. We obviously break the bank to try and keep James but far too good for our level. Injury may be a blessing in disguise.