VAR

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Forty-Niner
Fresh Alias

VAR

Post by Forty-Niner »

Did anyone see the England v Cameroon game in the Women's World Cup on Sunday. There were all sorts of VAR related shenanigans.
Of the four contentious decisions for which VAR was used, two were for offside which took about three minutes each to reach a decision.
A frozen frame on our TV picture showed the situation in seconds. What are they doing in their studio?
The other two incidents, a back pass and a penalty check also took an eternity and in my opinion the wrong verdict was reached both times.
We are repeatedly told the system will be great once the teething problems have been sorted. It is now nearly 18 months since we first saw
it used in the F.A. Cup match between Brighton and Crystal Palace and so far we have yet to see any improvement.
faith1234
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Re: VAR

Post by faith1234 »

VAR does not work and also the refs line men/women have not got a idea what they are doing need to go back to colleage
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

I thought VAR was responsible for two key offside decisions, both outcomes correct. The issue was not VAR but the incompetence of the officials, which happens without the need for technology. The referee was pathetic.
LittleMate
Regular
Regular

Post by LittleMate »

Referees seem determined not to send people off at the Womens WC. VAR made to look silly at some of those types of "non" decisions. The officials are barely competent without having to deal with VAR, which is only adding to their appearing very incompetent.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

Two things have struck me during the World Cup. The first is that womans’ football has improved significantly and secondly the standard of referees has not kept pace. I’ve no doubt this will be addressed by the next major tournament.

Finding it quite entertaining.
Real Al
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Real Al »

The quality has been very high for some time, although the goalkeeping had seemed to lag behind. At this WC though there had been some fine keeping in all the games I've seen (with the exception of the Thai goalie).
Mikero
Fresh Alias

Post by Mikero »

When you see the VAR team at the start of the game there are four of them, this is why it takes so long. In cricket it is one person so each decision is not debated. One ref and a video tech is enough. Even then some of the decisons are still wrong. How is a deliberate elbow in the face only a yellow card. An attacker having their foot stood on in the box, not given. Attacker goes to the ground in several episodes with no visible touch, given and USA handed the game.

Unless they can come up with something faster and more reliable football is going to become even more of a farce.

Mikero
bobo66
Fresh Alias

Post by bobo66 »

dOh Nut wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:33 am Two things have struck me during the World Cup. The first is that womans’ football has improved significantly and secondly the standard of referees has not kept pace. I’ve no doubt this will be addressed by the next major tournament.

Finding it quite entertaining.
VAR is fine for those watching on the telly, but rubbish for those supporters at the match. When can you celebrate the goal/penalty/save? I'm not sure better referees will sort this out.

I agree that the standard of womens' football has improved, but they can't tackle.
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

A lot of work still to go into VAR. it took umpires in cricket and refs in rugby a good while - years - to get used to it and it’ll take football as long before the regulators say what is and isn’t in certain circumstances and officials on pitch and in the TV studios to give consistent good decisions.
Nottshere
Fresh Alias

Post by Nottshere »

VARce, doesn't work well , the wait to know if a goal is allowed is painful.
Mick McQuaid
Fresh Alias

Post by Mick McQuaid »

bobo66 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:36 am
VAR is fine for those watching on the telly, but rubbish for those supporters at the match.
I watched a game on tv in Italy a couple of months ago, between the VAR, the in play adverts and the endless super slow motion shots, often just of the players reactions to something like a ball going out for a throw in, I might as well have been watching a game of marbles for all the resemblance it had to watching a football match.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

It won’t affect us in our league, so I don’t care.
Lovejoy
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Lovejoy »

FIFA 'could replace linesmen with VAR' as pro-technology president Gianni Infantino introduces new department in bid to increase technology's influence in football.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/premier ... spartanntp
Eat The Rich
Fresh Alias

Post by Eat The Rich »

Did anyone see the nonsense in the Spurs game today? Jamal Lascelle completely and deliberately took out Kane in the box. Mike Dean waved play on and VAR agreed with him. Astonishing. Absolutely astonishing.
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

Eat The Rich wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:19 am Did anyone see the nonsense in the Spurs game today? Jamal Lascelle completely and deliberately took out Kane in the box. Mike Dean waved play on and VAR agreed with him. Astonishing. Absolutely astonishing.
Astonishing, absolutely astonishing is a great description of your fanciful description of a perfectly timed tackle by Lascelles and a Tom Daly esque dive from Harry Kane.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Eat The Rich wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:19 am Did anyone see the nonsense in the Spurs game today? Jamal Lascelle completely and deliberately took out Kane in the box. Mike Dean waved play on and VAR agreed with him. Astonishing. Absolutely astonishing.
Cream is devastated.

But you’re right. Pen all day long.

After the World Cup, I was in favour but it seems to have gone backwards. Regardless of it is getting the right decision, it’s boring. They seem desperate to overturn goals with it and waiting around mixed with the draining of instant joy it will eventually bring will diminish the game.
greyhound
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by greyhound »

spen666 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:35 am
Astonishing, absolutely astonishing is a great description of your fanciful description of a perfectly timed tackle by Lascelles and a Tom Daly esque dive from Harry Kane.
stone wall penalty .
same goes for d Silva against A Vila.
VAR not for me its just another opinion.
Eat The Rich
Fresh Alias

Post by Eat The Rich »

Okay, you've outed yourself as the troll that you are now. You just overstretched a bit.

Perfectly timed tackle? He threw himself face first into HK and just to make double sure threw an arm across Kane's legs. Yeh, perfectly timed tackle my arse. I really hope you're not over 17 because if you are then you are one sad human being.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

I was initially in favour of VAR but after the last few weeks I think it's really spoiling the game. As Apple states above, it looks like they're desperate to "make a difference" and are searching for the tiniest of margins to overturn on-the-pitch calls.

If we HAVE to have some sort of second opinion "help" for the refs, then I think it should just be a single referee, watching two screens with opposing angle views, in real time. He can then advise the ref immediately if he's made an obvious howler and needs to change it, otherwise the VAR ref keeps quiet.

Of course, it'd be lovely if Football was treated as just a sport, in which human error might well affect the outcome of a game, but that's not life-or-death, so we just accept it. Sadly, 'cos there's millions and millions of pounds resting on the outcomes, it seems that every little decision has to be perfect.
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

Eat The Rich wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:26 am

Okay, you've outed yourself as the troll that you are now. You just overstretched a bit.

Perfectly timed tackle? He threw himself face first into HK and just to make double sure threw an arm across Kane's legs. Yeh, perfectly timed tackle my arse. I really hope you're not over 17 because if you are then you are one sad human being.
Clearly not.

Referee & VAR referee who are the experts disagree with you.

Lascelles does not bring Kane down.
Kane dives over Lascalles.

Even Stan Collymore calls it out as diving

PS How pathetic to resort to personal insults because I along with the traibedexperts disagree with your observations.
BoniO
Regular
Regular

Post by BoniO »

Think the point made above by others is correct. If we're going to persist with VAR, and we surely are, then we don't need a team of 4 to review the decisions. One person could, and should, do this or it just becomes a committee decision with all the discussion and time-wasting associated.

Also agree that the VAR teams seem to want to justify themselves and turn over decisions if at all possible, just to prove their worth. The best referees are always the ones you hardly notice, who allow play to flow, but VAR is the opposite of this. It stops dead any flow to the game and just makes the actual football secondary to the VAR process. VAR could be a positive thing, if used more sparingly and intelligently, and most definitely with a new process that cuts down the time it takes.
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

BoniO wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:10 am Think the point made above by others is correct. If we're going to persist with VAR, and we surely are, then we don't need a team of 4 to review the decisions. One person could, and should, do this or it just becomes a committee decision with all the discussion and time-wasting associated.

Also agree that the VAR teams seem to want to justify themselves and turn over decisions if at all possible, just to prove their worth.
Not sure that statement is supported by the VAR decision at Spurs where it would have been easy to overturn Mike Dean's decision, but the VAR decision supported the referee

The best referees are always the ones you hardly notice, who allow play to flow, but VAR is the opposite of this. It stops dead any flow to the game and just makes the actual football secondary to the VAR process. VAR could be a positive thing, if used more sparingly and intelligently, and most definitely with a new process that cuts down the time it takes.
The VAR system is probably here to stay, but as you say it needs to work more streamlined and efficiently. At present it seems to be the worst of all processes.

Decisions need to be quicker
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

If you have to watch a replay back 4-5 times to make a decision it's not clear and obvious.

If it's not clear and obvious VAR has no place interfering as that was the whole point of its introduction.

If you look at tennis for example, the whole ball has to be out for the serve to be denied by the technology. That gives every chance to the attacker to win the point. VAR is looking for the tiniest of margins (which are still debate with offsides) to deny goals.

The concept of VAR is OK but the implementation is awful.
Eat The Rich
Fresh Alias

Post by Eat The Rich »

spen666 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:49 am

Clearly not.

PS How pathetic to resort to personal insults because I along with the traibedexperts disagree with your observations.
"A perfectly timed tackle by Lascelle" were your exact words. You have either not seen the incident, you're off your rocker or you're trolling. There really are no other options.
spen666
Regular
Regular

Post by spen666 »

Eat The Rich wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:52 am
spen666 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:49 am

Clearly not.

"A perfectly timed tackle by Lascelle" were your exact words. You have either not seen the incident, you're off your rocker or you're trolling. There really are no other options.
Did Lascelles stop Kane scoring without giving away a foul?
Yes, then it was perfectly timed tackle itdidexactly what was intended.ie to legitimately stop Kane scoring