Richie Wellens appointed new head coach

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Richie Wellens appointed new head coach

Post by Long slender neck »

Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Re: Richie Wellens appointed new head coach

Post by Long slender neck »

O my gawd
Fresh Alias

Post by O my gawd »

I wished they'd hurry up, I'm missing ountdown for this.
Max Fowler
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Max Fowler »

So we're back to a Head Coach?

Weird.
Wally Banter
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Wally Banter »

But I thought the LOFC board didn't have a clue what to do, and that we were going to keep Harrold on as manager?

Well, now I'm going to have to reevaluate my entire belief system when it comes to this forum.
FargO
Fresh Alias

Post by FargO »

Never saw that coming
MalvoliO
Fresh Alias

Post by MalvoliO »

He'll do for me! Get us the points to stay up this season and he'll become a legend.
Chocolate_brownie
Fresh Alias

Post by Chocolate_brownie »

Fair play. Good work from the board on this one.
Safety this year, push on for playoffs next season.

Let’s have it!
cymruO
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cymruO »

Welcome RW. One job to do for the rest of the season - keep us away from relegation. I believe you've got the players to do that, hoping you've got the whatever to get them back to believing in themselves and, for Smith and Drinan to believe they can score again this season.
Chicken Dhansak
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Chicken Dhansak »

Have a look Ling's boat during that interview, he looks like he couldn't care less who comes
and goes, he knows he is here for life.
HastaLaVista
Fresh Alias

Post by HastaLaVista »

Somebody on here said definitely that it would be Wellens yesterday. Didn't notice who it was but I looked Wellens up on Wiki as I thought it was official then. So someone saw it coming or has inside info.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Wally Banter wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:15 pm But I thought the LOFC board didn't have a clue what to do, and that we were going to keep Harrold on as manager?

Well, now I'm going to have to reevaluate my entire belief system when it comes to this forum.
Half Wit forum users ?
cockhat
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by cockhat »

Chicken Dhansak wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:55 pm Have a look Ling's boat during that interview, he looks like he couldn't care less who comes
Either that or his nose is going to be put out of joint!
gshaw
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by gshaw »

HastaLaVista wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:05 pm Somebody on here said definitely that it would be Wellens yesterday. Didn't notice who it was but I looked Wellens up on Wiki as I thought it was official then. So someone saw it coming or has inside info.
It's been doing the rounds since yesterday afternoon, club's leaky defence isn't just on the pitch :D

Welcome Mr Wellens and good luck, we're all counting on you
TourDeO
Fresh Alias

Post by TourDeO »

Now that we have Richie Valens in situ does this mean that we will run out to La Bamba instead of Tijuana Taxi?
Paddy
Fresh Alias

Post by Paddy »

Chicken Dhansak wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:55 pm Have a look Ling's boat during that interview, he looks like he couldn't care less who comes

Funny how people see things differently. I saw a man who knows his fan base is not happy and who gave the situation and occasion the respect it deserves.

He also spoke very well and even put his hands up and said explicitly that they have not got the managerial choices right since Justin's passing.

That is all I can ask for from the people in charge of running our club. Wanting what's best for us and putting their hands up when they get it wrong and hope to do better.

I'm glad we got Richie through the door and I am thankful to our board for getting it done.

Clean slate. Onwards and upwards. Up The O's!
Dextercoindexter
Fresh Alias

Post by Dextercoindexter »

‘Wellens’ Syndrome’ in medical terms , associated with ‘Broken Heart Syndrome’. How ominous. I really do hope he proves himself quickly and gives us something to look forward to early next season.
BiggsyMalone
Regular
Regular

Post by BiggsyMalone »

Listened to his press conference earlier.

I thought Wellens came across very well, had a clear vision and actually seemed happy to be here. Unlike Jackett. I’m excited to see what he can do with these players.

I thought Ling came across poorly. A lot of ‘we haven’t got it right’ when he’s the man the board rely on for footbLling decisions. No accountability. More bollocks about their process ‘it’s a longer process because there’s more chance of getting it right’ just like Davis, Embleton x2 and Fletcher :rolleyes:

“I’d like to be sitting here in 2 and half years time” I bet you f*cking would.
o-no
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by o-no »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:34 pm Listened to his press conference earlier.

I thought Wellens came across very well, had a clear vision and actually seemed happy to be here. Unlike Jackett. I’m excited to see what he can do with these players.

I thought Ling came across poorly. A lot of ‘we haven’t got it right’ when he’s the man the board rely on for footbLling decisions. No accountability. More bollocks about their process ‘it’s a longer process because there’s more chance of getting it right’ just like Davis, Embleton x2 and Fletcher :rolleyes:

Can't help thinking Ling could set fire to Nigel's trousers and he still wouldn't get the sack.
Omygawd
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Omygawd »

I agree with the clean slate comment. All the right noises in the interview but I’ll reserve any enthusiasm or judgement until he has led us into a few games. If he enjoys working with midfield players then he has his work cut out with our youngsters who are being asked to perform at a level of experience they simply don’t have. As for the “process” isn’t it time that the person leading it was called to account. No, we haven’t got it right so far, if this attempt doesn’t work then it is time to change the person in charge of that failing process?
Last edited by Omygawd on Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paddy
Fresh Alias

Post by Paddy »

BiggsyMalone wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:34 pm Listened to his press conference earlier.

Why do you just post the part of the quote that fits your narrative? Why don't you finish the quote? He said "I'd like to be sitting here in 2 and a half years time to say we've just renewed Richies contract." Meaning he's been a success as a manager and we've done great on the pitch. Is that a bad thing?

Very fair thing to say but some people see ghosts everywhere I guess.
o-no
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by o-no »

Paddy wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:45 pm

Why do you just post the part of the quote that fits your narrative? Why don't you finish the quote? He said "I'd like to be sitting here in 2 and a half years time to say we've just renewed Richies contract." Meaning he's been a success as a manager and we've done great on the pitch. Is that a bad thing?

Very fair thing to say but some people see ghosts everywhere I guess.
It's not a bad thing, but shortening the quote doesn't actually change the meaning here does it.

Anyway, good luck to him. The bit that stood out for me was right at the start

"What does it take to be successful in this division"
"Good footballers...."

Umm.
Chief crazy horse
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Chief crazy horse »

Paddy wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:17 pm

Funny how people see things differently. I saw a man who knows his fan base is not happy and who gave the situation and occasion the respect it deserves.

He also spoke very well and even put his hands up and said explicitly that they have not got the managerial choices right since Justin's passing.

That is all I can ask for from the people in charge of running our club. Wanting what's best for us and putting their hands up when they get it wrong and hope to do better.

I'm glad we got Richie through the door and I am thankful to our board for getting it done.

Quite right, it is funny how people see things differently! I thought Ling looked vacant and uninterested instead of having that usual warm welcoming look anyone should have when sitting next to a new manager. And you reckon also, that he speaks well? He sounds like he should be running a fruit and veg stall down Walthamstow market.
EliotNes
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by EliotNes »

So many false dawns with managerial appointments in the last few years (JE excepted) that I'm not getting excited yet and probably won't do for a while. But if we beat the monkey hangers and the green boys (FGR) I'll get a little excited.
Paddy
Fresh Alias

Post by Paddy »

Chief crazy horse wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:56 pm
Paddy wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:17 pm

Quite right, it is funny how people see things differently! I thought Ling looked vacant and uninterested instead of having that usual warm welcoming look anyone should have when sitting next to a new manager. And you reckon also, that he speaks well? He sounds like he should be running a fruit and veg stall down Walthamstow market.
No he doesn't speak well. But what I'm trying to say is he is there. He is the DOF and we can either back him until he leaves or create a toxic environment where no club can thrive. I'll always go for the first option.