Favourite Walks

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Forty-Niner
Fresh Alias

Favourite Walks

Post by Forty-Niner »

To some this heading represents an oxymoran. If that's you read no further.

Back in the day my parents, aunts and uncles sometimes walked from the Wake Arms to Leytonstone through Epping Forest by moonlight.
Epping station to Chingford, through the forest, is also very pleasant.
For anyone not liking hills, Grays to Purfleet along the left bank of the river Thames is enjoyable with varied river traffic and also colourfull street art painted on the flood relief wall.
The Mindsweep
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Re: Favourite Walks

Post by The Mindsweep »

I do a walk around 10 miles every weekend. Great for catching up on podcasts, listening to music and me time. I live in Colchester and have explored most areas around north and mid Essex and into Suffolk. I use the OS app all the time, costs £2.99 pm or (as I pay) £24ish a year.You get the whole of the UK.
I normally try to add a coastal or river section in my walk.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

A few years ago, I got 3 books called 'Londons hidden walks'. Some of them aren't the most scenic but ive been to areas ive never been to and found out loads of stuff about historically important places.
Clive Evans
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Clive Evans »

Forty Niner:-For anyone not liking hills, Grays to Purfleet along the left bank of the river Thames is enjoyable with varied river traffic and also colourfull street art painted on the flood relief wall........Thanks for that. I live at North Grays. I have walked in the opposite direction, but you come to a dead end at Tilbury Docks. Me & my dog Filou will be grateful for this information & will soon give it a cruise.
My favourite London walk is at sunset over Waterloo Bridge along the South Bank and across Westminster Bridge, especially after rainfall.
Just back from the Isle of Wight, great coastal walks here. Totland Bay to Colwell Bay & Filou gets a dip as well.
Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Post by Lucky7 »

A few weeks ago we had a walk on the Leaway
I didn’t realise it was 20 odd miles long think we did about 6 miles plenty of sitting/picnic areas en route
Mick McQuaid
Fresh Alias

Post by Mick McQuaid »

Every few years a walk up to and round Coumshingaun.

A few years ago my working pattern gave me a day or two off in the week every fortnight and got really into going for a long walk. Was doing the North Downs in chunks as well as plenty in London. I did the walk from Epping through the forest starting just before dawn one morning which was beautiful. I did the south downs way in a week off around that time and got very lucky with some early April sunshine which made it a wonderful trip. Still walk most places in London if im not in too much of a rush, i try with varying success to avoid using my phone for directions and keeping away from main roads to see what i come across. Circumstances don't allow much more than that at the moment but would like to do coast to coast through the lake district, Yorkshire Dales and North York Moors before too long.
Blackadder
Fresh Alias

Post by Blackadder »

Yesterday, (Saturday) we took a three mile walk along the bank of the river Lee from Broxbourne. It was glorious. Had a
gorgeous pint in the Crown pub when we got back to our starting point. Highly recommended.
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

Apple Wumble wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:18 am A few years ago, I got 3 books called 'Londons hidden walks'. Some of them aren't the most scenic but ive been to areas ive never been to and found out loads of stuff about historically important places.
Any you would particularly recommend?
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Disoriented wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:13 pm
Apple Wumble wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:18 am A few years ago, I got 3 books called 'Londons hidden walks'. Some of them aren't the most scenic but ive been to areas ive never been to and found out loads of stuff about historically important places.
Hamstead heath was good as was Kennsington. We did one last weekend which was Brixton down to Brockwell Park (which id never been to and was great) and back again.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

This would be mine

My Grandparents built a bungalow there years back
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

The walk to the pub and back does me .
CreamofSumYungGai
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by CreamofSumYungGai »

The one down the High Road back to the car after another home win.
Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Post by Lucky7 »

Wumble I don’t where your located but the walk from Highgate to Stoke Newington is really nice I think it’s about 4-5 miles long plenty of historical interest en route
Beradogs
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Beradogs »

The Begwns near Hay on Wye. All of the Brecon Beacons is lovely but you will not see anyone on this walk.

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/brecon ... -the-climb
Proposition Joe
Regular
Regular

Post by Proposition Joe »

Parkland Walk is a hidden treasure - disused railway tracks, loops up from Finsbury Park to Highgate then Alexandra Palace.

The coastal path down in St Ives was pretty magical.
Buddy Manucci
Fresh Alias

Post by Buddy Manucci »

St Marti d'Empuries to Cala Montgo via coast all the way.

https://tourismwithme.com/sant-marti-de ... osta-brava
Disoriented
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Idiot of the year 2020

Post by Disoriented »

Apple Wumble wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:18 pm
Disoriented wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:13 pm
Hamstead heath was good as was Kennsington. We did one last weekend which was Brixton down to Brockwell Park (which id never been to and was great) and back again.
Sounds great and will hopefully encourage me to get off the sofa and to explore more of our city.
Lucky7
Regular
Regular

Post by Lucky7 »

Birling Gap/Seven Sisters/ Beachy Head stunning views and walk on a clear day
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Have often walked between Rainham and Purfleet along the Thames. I like looking at the industrial places along the route. It's a shame the path stops at Rainham, would be great if there was a path along the river into central London.
F*ck The Poor & Fat
Regular
Regular

Post by F*ck The Poor & Fat »

Jurassic Coast. Cliff edge path, heavy work but good.
slacker
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by slacker »

I’ve done about 2/3rds of the walks in those books. I thought I knew London well, but every walk I’ve found somewhere “hidden” I didn’t know about, and the detail is excellent.
slacker
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by slacker »

Prestige Worldwide wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:58 pm Have often walked between Rainham and Purfleet along the Thames. I like looking at the industrial places along the route. It's a shame the path stops at Rainham, would be great if there was a path along the river into central London.
There are plans to connect the northbank bits up, but the major problem is the Ford plant. Not sure how old this is, but it shows the proposed and existing links.

https://thamesestuarypartnership.org/wp ... -24-55.pdf
Stamford O
Fresh Alias

Post by Stamford O »

Canal walks always good.flat paths and lots of pubs
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Lucky7 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:31 pm
Wumble I don’t where your located but the walk from Highgate to Stoke Newington is really nice I think it’s about 4-5 miles long plenty of historical interest en route
Yeah, my girlfriend used to live in Dalston so we did that (via the cemetery) a few times. Some nice spots.
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

slacker wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:16 pm
I’ve done about 2/3rds of the walks in those books. I thought I knew London well, but every walk I’ve found somewhere “hidden” I didn’t know about, and the detail is excellent.
Yeah agree. We both like exploring places and she's a huge history buff so the little historical facts are good.

These are those books for anyone interested.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Londons-Hidden ... th=1&psc=1