FOI - Death by Covid.

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

FOI - Death by Covid.

Post by Thor »

I found this little bit of information posted on the ONS dated 18th Jan 22. It details out how many people died of covid without any underlying health issues. It’s up to date as the records are and totals 17,371 of which 3,774 were under 64 the rest being older.

Here is the link to the ONS FOI request.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/aboutus/transpar ... cember2021
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Re: FOI - Death by Covid.

Post by tuffers#1 »

can this not just be put in the main thread ?
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

Thor wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:59 pm I found this little bit of information posted on the ONS dated 18th Jan 22. It details out how many people died of covid without any underlying health issues. It’s up to date as the records are and totals 17,371 of which 3,774 were under 64 the rest being older.

Always been accepted that those with underlying conditions were most affected. The virus attacks weaknesses.

But having underlying medical conditions does not mean those conditions are terminal. In fact people with such conditions can live long, useful lives. Even those with potentially terminal illnesses have a right to see out the rest of their natural lives and. having what’s left cut is tragic.

It’s the obligation of the rest who don’t have underlying conditions and likely survive infection by having the good sense consider those less fortunate to do what we can to protect others.

And of course those who do survive take up valuable hospital resources during recovery, thereby creating problems for those in urgent need of treatment but cannot due to hospital waiting lists. Covid deaths is only part of the problem.

Bottom line. Get a jab if you can. To choose not to is sticking two fingers up to other people.
George M
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by George M »

Dohnut wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:18 am
Thor wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:59 pm I found this little bit of information posted on the ONS dated 18th Jan 22. It details out how many people died of covid without any underlying health issues. It’s up to date as the records are and totals 17,371 of which 3,774 were under 64 the rest being older.

Always been accepted that those with underlying conditions were most affected. The virus attacks weaknesses.

But having underlying medical conditions does not mean those conditions are terminal. In fact people with such conditions can live long, useful lives. Even those with potentially terminal illnesses have a right to see out the rest of their natural lives and. having what’s left cut is tragic.

It’s the obligation of the rest who don’t have underlying conditions and likely survive infection by having the good sense consider those less fortunate to do what we can to protect others.

And of course those who do survive take up valuable hospital resources during recovery, thereby creating problems for those in urgent need of treatment but cannot due to hospital waiting lists. Covid deaths is only part of the problem.

Bottom line. Get a jab if you can. To choose not to is sticking two fingers up to other people.
I think in that well balanced post you have addressed the last two years in a nutshell.
Story of O
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Story of O »

Yesterday for the first time I heard the newscaster say “not all deaths were caused by Covid-19” after reading the latest Covid statistics
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

Story of O wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:39 am Yesterday for the first time I heard the newscaster say “not all deaths were caused by Covid-19” after reading the latest Covid statistics
Data has always been a nightmare, not only in the U.K., but worldwide. But it is getting better.

The data we do have can be presented and quite correctly, satisfying the fact checkers, in many and conflicting ways. A recent argument that hospitals are split 50/50 between vaccinated and non-vaccinated was actually true. Cutting the data a different way and claims that 90% of hospitalisation is from unvaccinated was also true. A study suggesting the unvaccinated are 32 times more likely to be in intensive care can also probably be factually verified. All down to what data you choose to use. What data you choose to use!

Arguing data numbers is fraught with dangers, the anti Covid vaxxers looking at it one way, vaxxers looking at it another. The joys of statistics.

Using common sense and looking at the world around us, the benefits of vaccination, not only for one-self but for others, is obvious.
oxo
Fresh Alias

Post by oxo »

Dohnut wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:18 am In fact people with such conditions can live long, useful lives.
I appreciate that you're pushing back against Thor's depressing belief that we needn't change our behavior because covid only kills off 'less-thans' like old people and disabled people, but I feel that the whole concept of a 'useful' life is a really potent (and grim) distillation of the Tory mindset.
Omygawd
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Omygawd »

oxo wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:05 pm
Dohnut wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:18 am In fact people with such conditions can live long, useful lives.
I appreciate that you're pushing back against Thor's depressing belief that we needn't change our behavior because covid only kills off 'less-thans' like old people and disabled people, but I feel that the whole concept of a 'useful' life is a really potent (and grim) distillation of the Tory mindset.
Nice to see bigotry reigns in every post.
oxo
Fresh Alias

Post by oxo »

Omygawd wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:18 pm
Nice to see bigotry reigns in every post.
If you're referring to my post, which part of it is an example of bigotry?
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Interesting. Thanks
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

My posts have zero influence by politics.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

I clocked this but thought I’d give the daft old sod the benefit of the doubt, as the rest of the content is reasonable for once.

I don’t believe Dohy is saying some lives are not useful, he’s not that much of a ****.
Dunners
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Dunners »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:18 pm
I clocked this but thought I’d give the daft old sod the benefit of the doubt, as the rest of the content is reasonable for once.

I don’t believe Dohy is saying some lives are not useful, he’s not that much of a ****.
He's definitely not saying that. I do believe I recall him stating quite clearly on here previously that All Lives Matter.

Except the poor and fat, of course.
George M
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by George M »

Looking at those COVID figures throws up more interesting facts , and if I may say , even slightly humorous.
The average age COVID death through the pandemic was 82.5 years old. The average life expectancy in the Uk is lower than that. Turns out it would have been better to catch it ))
oxo
Fresh Alias

Post by oxo »

Dohnut wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:30 pm
Maybe I've misunderstood what you mean by a 'useful' life -- my apologies if that's the case.
Dohnut
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by Dohnut »

oxo wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:59 pm

Maybe I've misunderstood what you mean by a 'useful' life -- my apologies if that's the case.
Useful as deemed by the person living it. That can mean different things to different people. Individuals matter.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Zero influence by politics.

100% influence by The Mail.
oxo
Fresh Alias

Post by oxo »

Dohnut wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:52 pm
Useful as deemed by the person living it. That can mean different things to different people. Individuals matter.
Yeah fair play, I’d probably use the word meaningful for this but otherwise I totally agree.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Long slender neck »

Have you even looked at the list of pre existing conditions? It feels like you're saying these people don't count.
Thor
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Thor »

The post was made in view of this information coming to light for the first time, I’ve never heard or seen anything which provides that data. The last time anything remotely close to this was quite early on when the number was a few hundred people. It’s certainly higher than I had imagined it would be.

I’ve never seen a data set of deaths by condition(s) so I’m not sure if one exists or not. I’m certainly not suggesting these people don’t count as all people matter and we are going through a once in a lifetime issue which affects many many families. Some decisions made by the government may in time highlight mistakes made which cost many many people their lives, care homes being one such example.
CromwellO
Fresh Alias

Post by CromwellO »

George M wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:04 pm Looking at those COVID figures throws up more interesting facts , and if I may say , even slightly humorous.
The average age COVID death through the pandemic was 82.5 years old. The average life expectancy in the Uk is lower than that. Turns out it would have been better to catch it ))
Perhaps not better to catch it and certainly not on purpose...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-60050996
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Thor wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:46 pm The post was made in view of this information coming to light for the first time, I’ve never heard or seen anything which provides that data. The last time anything remotely close to this was quite early on when the number was a few hundred people. It’s certainly higher than I had imagined it would be.

I’ve never seen a data set of deaths by condition(s) so I’m not sure if one exists or not. I’m certainly not suggesting these people don’t count as all people matter and we are going through a once in a lifetime issue which affects many many families. Some decisions made by the government may in time highlight mistakes made which cost many many people their lives, care homes being one such example.
The data set is linked in the article you posted.
George M
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by George M »

It isn’t an article. It is the official figures that have been released as part of a freedom of information request. Over the next few months all the data will be released.
Long slender neck
MB Legend
MB Legend

Its still an article.
George M
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by George M »

Thor wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:46 pm The post was made in view of this information coming to light for the first time, I’ve never heard or seen anything which provides that data. The last time anything remotely close to this was quite early on when the number was a few hundred people. It’s certainly higher than I had imagined it would be.

And many decisions made by the government may in time highlight the successes which may have saved many peoples lives.