Get Back

Chat about Leyton Orient (or anything else)

Moderator: Long slender neck

Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Get Back

Post by Rich Tea Wellin »

Who's watched it? What did everyone think? Best moments?

Even as a huge Beatles fan, i was a bit worried about the 8 hours might drag. Let It Be also isn't in my top 5 Beatles albums. BUT this is probably one of the best things i've ever seen.

Monotonous at points but even those moments are fascinating.

Amazed at how good they sounded on the roof and how quickly moods changes back and forth. But the best bit was watching McCartney literally write get back in about 5 minutes from hitting one note over and over. A real genius.
slacker
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Re: Get Back

Post by slacker »

I watched it in 1 hour stretches. At least it puts to bed the old 'Yoko split up The Beatles' canard. Lennon comes over as an ass a lot of the time, mind. Harrison as frustrated and unsure of his talent. McCartney as in charge towards the end. And Ringo as the most consistently professional when they were 'working'. Worth a look if you're a fan.
Wally Banter
Tiresome troll
Tiresome troll

Post by Wally Banter »

Weirdly mesmeric, even during the more banal bits. Made chain smoking between cups of tea and toast look incredibly appealing. My knowledge about the Beatles is light, so was interesting to see their personalities up close. Best bit was George quietly stating “Think I’ll leave the band now” (or something to that effect).
Max B Gold
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Max B Gold »

I have no time to waste watching the most over hyped mediocrity in sound recording history yeah, yeah, yeah.

I did meet Geordie Martin once at AIR Studios Lyndhurst. Nice chap. I never mentioned the Beatles. The studios were cool. Especially one of the smaller ones where a guy was recording sound effects for a film and I kid youse not he was doing the horses hoof thing with coconut shells.
The Mindsweep
Bored office worker
Bored office worker

Post by The Mindsweep »

Did they play Mull of Kintyre
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

The Mindsweep wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:37 pm Did they play Mull of Kintyre
Hardly likely 😂😂 I believe you had to subscribe to a certain channel to watch it 🤔 anyone know where I can watch it for free ?.
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Not a Beatles fan previously but this was just incredible.

I watched each of the first two episodes in full straight through. I can’t bring myself to watch the last one because then it’ll be over and I won’t be able to watch if for the first time again, if that makes sense.

I’m sure everyone has said the same but the bit where McCartney pulls Get Back out of nowhere is the single most amazing thing I’ve ever seen in my life.
Smendrick Feaselberg
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by Smendrick Feaselberg »

What channel was this on?
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Disney add
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:43 pm Not a Beatles fan previously but this was just incredible.

I watched each of the first two episodes in full straight through. I can’t bring myself to watch the last one because then it’ll be over and I won’t be able to watch if for the first time again, if that makes sense.

I’m sure everyone has said the same but the bit where McCartney pulls Get Back out of nowhere is the single most amazing thing I’ve ever seen in my life.
Part of me has wondered is he’s written it before and was pretending it was spur of the moment thing for the cameras.

But it was literally an insight in a musical genius. I mean the song isn’t one of their best, but probably one of the more famous ones. The way he was picking out the melody and discarding the rest so efficiently was mind boggling.
BIGRON
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7

Post by BIGRON »

Is the Disney add channel on sky ??
Kent
Fresh Alias

Post by Kent »

Watched brilliant three-part documentary series ‘The Beatles: Get Back’ (2021) produced and directed by Peter Jackson.
"I'd like to say thank you on behalf of the group and ourselves and I hope we've passed the audition."
Starring the Fab Four: John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr plus appearances by Allen Klein, Billy Preston, George Martin, Linda McCartney, Yoko Ono plus two Hare Krishna devotees!
The film centres on the Beatles making their album ‘Let It Be’ (1970). Jackson used similar meticulous restoration techniques he employed on his World War I documentary ‘They Shall Not Grow Old’ (2018).
Footage from Michael Lindsay-Hogg’s 1970 documentary ‘Let it Be’ is used plus delving into the unused film archives, which apart from showing how the songs were formed also focuses on both the joy and comradeship whilst spending 21 days recording in the studio plus the much talked about tensions between the Beatles, which see the band falling apart (Harrison left at one point).
The famous concert from the rooftop of their Apple Corps London Savile Row headquarters on 30th January 1969 - their final live performance - is amazing, all 42 uninterrupted minutes of it.
Starr commented: “There was hours and hours of us just laughing and playing music, not at all like the (1970) ‘Let It Be’ film”.
McCartney said: "I am really happy that Peter has delved into our archives to make a film that shows the truth about the Beatles recording together"
Nine hours of uninhibited footage to tell the Beatles story; their story. On 10 April 1970, McCartney issued a press release that stated he was no longer working with the group and that was that...
At one point with Paul and Ringo in a room discussing their future Paul prophetically says, “And then there were two!”
Such an intimate, raw and honest piece of filmmaking uniquely capturing such a pivotal moment in music history.
Just wonderful.
tuffers#1
Boardin' 24/7
Boardin' 24/7
Awards: Boarder of the year 2020 #1 Wordle cheat

Post by tuffers#1 »

Smendrick Feaselberg wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:59 pm What channel was this on?
you might find it on 123 movies i saw the new (ish ) Bond film on it & the sopranos film , got loads of free stuff .
Ronnie Hotdogs
MB Legend
MB Legend

Post by Ronnie Hotdogs »

Apple Wumble wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:44 pm
Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:43 pm Not a Beatles fan previously but this was just incredible.

Part of me has wondered is he’s written it before and was pretending it was spur of the moment thing for the cameras.

But it was literally an insight in a musical genius. I mean the song isn’t one of their best, but probably one of the more famous ones. The way he was picking out the melody and discarding the rest so efficiently was mind boggling.
Come on, he’s Paul McCartney in 1969. He hardly needs to fake his musical genius for the cameras.
StillSpike
Regular
Regular

Post by StillSpike »

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:04 pm

Come on, he’s Paul McCartney in 1969. He hardly needs to fake his musical genius for the cameras.
Peter Andre did that on I'm a Celebrity one year - so musical geniuses do do that sort of thing now and again :lol:
Rich Tea Wellin
MB Legend
MB Legend

Ronnie Hotdogs wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:04 pm

I’m not doubting his genius but more his ego 😂